Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times

Advertisements

I'll hopefully start reading Bernard Cornwell's Agincourt sometime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Then I started "The Fate of Mercy Alban" by Wendy Webb and am enjoying it so much that I would have finished it in one sitting but I got too sleepy!
Will definitely finish it today,and I'm so glad that I have her other two books here The Vanishing and The Tale of Halcyon Crane but will probably read The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who... Book 2) by Lilian Jackson Braun first because it's coming due.
I have "The Tale of Halcyon Crane" on my Kindle, but don't know how soon I will get to it. While out with a friend yesterday she gave me three titles to check into, and I'm literally overwhelmed by all the titles to choose from! (Sometimes I think I am going to stop coming out here until I've whittled down the list a bit, but you can see how THAT's worked for me! )

I will wait to see what you say about Halycyon to see if I want to bump it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I have The Good House checked out from the library.
I have this one on audiobook, but it probably will be another month (at least) before I get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell. Looking for the second one.
I put this one on the TRL. After reading about British Monarchs last spring, a bit of Arthurian legend might do me just fine.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I have The Good House checked out from the library.
I checked this out from the library also. I'm 4/5 done and enjoying it.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,654 times
I'm on a major Agatha Christie kick. Right now I'm reading "Five Little Pigs". I also loved "Blue Asylum" by Kathy Hepinstall.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,545 times
The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton. A disappointment so far. A strong start that is then gradually drowned in long-winded irrelevant detail.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Just finished listening to "Tyrannosaur Canyon" by Douglas Preston and thoroughly enjoyed its exciting pace, characters, and plot twists. It gave me a bit more to think about than most thrillers, and apparently it's not only the first solo work for this author, but also the first of a series. That's good for me because I would like to get to know these characters better.

Next up: "The House on Tradd Street" by Karen White, recommended to me by a very good friend that has significantly different reading tastes than I do. I hope it IS as good as she thinks it is.

Meanwhile, I am so enjoying reading "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield that I've already downloaded her more recent work "Bellman & Black" on the Kindle, though I don't think it will make this October's reads.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I read that several years ago and really enjoyed that one (thirteenth tale)- too.
And yes to The Good House. Very enjoyable and entertaining but with substance.

I recently finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern.... it was really beautifully written and I kept thinking that with all the wonderful descriptions that it would be a good movie.
It is fantasy though which I don't usually read. It was very different from what I usually read. I guess I am just too logical or something but I did have a bit of a hard time especially at the end , buying into the fantasy aspect. I think if someone is into this genre though this would be thoroughly enjoyed.

I just started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. I am about 30 pages into it and it definitely has me hooked.
I know I had seen it mentioned quite a while ago on here, and somehow it just caught my eye at the library. I continue to not being the most diligent reader lately so everything is taking me a long time which isn't great because I do tend to forget some pieces and definitely hinders enjoyment.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Just started Faye Kellerman's "Murder 101." I have always enjoyed the Decker/Lazarus novels and am glad that she finally wrote a new one.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
Just finished listening to The Invention of Wings which was one of the best audio books I've had in a long while.

Also I was forced to read Still Life with Boredom (Breadcrumbs) which was flat and amateurish.

I'm a 1/4 of the way into Jodi Picoult's new one - Leaving Time and it's fab so far. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'll hopefully start reading Bernard Cornwell's Agincourt sometime soon.

Just finished the Winter King last night very good!

The local Book store doesn't have the second one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books