Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 01:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

well tried to get through all of these books I checked out of the library and not a one of them held my interests . I think maybe I am just in a reading rut ...I hate it but apparently everyone goes through it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:48 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well tried to get through all of these books I checked out of the library and not a one of them held my interests . I think maybe I am just in a reading rut ...I hate it but apparently everyone goes through it .
I definitely have to be in the mood to read. I've had periods of 6 months where I couldn't get into anything, then all the sudden start reading a couple books a week. Strange but true.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:59 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I had been asking for suggestions to get back into the reading mode a while ago and am linking this here ---Phonelady---I imagine you have likely read most of them but maybe one or two will jump out at you.
I am going to suggest again-------------The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:10 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I had been asking for suggestions to get back into the reading mode a while ago and am linking this here ---Phonelady---I imagine you have likely read most of them but maybe one or two will jump out at you.
I am going to suggest again-------------The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick.
mayvenne I will put that on my hold list at the library ...thank you again and yeah I think I must be in a slump you know ?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:21 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

That sounds sooooo me! If a book doesn't really grab me now,I just give up,don't have the patience at all.Plus it has to compete with movies I want to watch and games I want to play,lol!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:25 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I definitely have to be in the mood to read. I've had periods of 6 months where I couldn't get into anything, then all the sudden start reading a couple books a week. Strange but true.
^^^^^^ and this!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Cheer for the monkey boys!

David Weber - Out of the dark - military science fiction. He also does the Honor Harrington stories. This is an Earth invasion story.

A different take, fun to read - if you don't mind a certain amount of gore.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:21 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Just returned from an out-of-state trip but of course I took a book with me and finished it on the plane on the way home. It was The Oleander Sisters by Elaine Hussey. It was syrupy sweet even though it involved a murder or two in a family of Southern women in 1969 including a grandmother on the edge of dementia and the granddaughters trying to hold a broken family together with Hurricane Camille bearing down on them all. And of course there are family secrets. It was okay but not really my type of reading. The premise was okay but the writing lacked style.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:37 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Well I just noticed that the link I thought I posted to the thread about good books to get you back into reading mode-------is not there.
Here I go trying again...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...s-what-do.html

Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Home Before Morning: The True Story of an Army Nurse in Vietnam, by Lynda Van Devanter. with Christopher Morgan

3/4's of the way through.
Gut-wrenching story. Fascinating story. Horrifying.
Couldn't put it down last night.
Wow. Just wow.
Her year over there was 69/70, which was my senior year in high school - recommended for anyone of my age group.
Now I know why my cousin doesn't talk about her year as a nurse there.

China Beach with Dana Delaney was based on this book.
That sounds like something I would like. Will check it out on Amazon..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books