Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

^^^^Thank heavens for ice cream sandwiches! Hope you feel better soon.

My last thoughts on Americanah: I didn't much like the beginning or the end, which focused on the love story, but I really liked the middle which focused on the immigration experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! Then I won't remind you what the end is. You'll find out next time you read it. I did enjoy the book, though, and I thank you for the recommendation.

I haven't been feeling so great these last few days (I blame it on getting caught in the rain one too many times) so I stayed home, all cuddled in blankets, and read. And dozed. And read. And dozed. (Repeat as necessary.) I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. They're "short" stories -- short for the wordy Stephen is almost full-length for many authors -- and NOT of the horror or paranormal variety, both of which are not my thing. I decided to skip "1922" and "Fair Extension." I really got the book because I wanted to read "A Good Marriage" but I decided to include "Big Driver," which I'm in the middle of now. OH MY GAWD! His writing is fabulous but the story... GAH! A woman is raped -- a topic that I typically steer clear of -- but I can't stop reading it. It's like a train wreck -- it's a horrible story but the wreck is so well-orchestrated by his writing. I know I'm going to feel sick for days -- more days! -- but this time not from the rain. I might need an ice cream sandwich to make me feel better.
I recently read Full Dark, No Stars. Big Driver or "you like it, it likes you" is one sick tale. If you read his afterword, SK's inspiration for that story was stopping at a rest area and seeing a trucker help a woman change a tire on her car. How he got that sicko story out of that...well, that's King for you.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I recently read Full Dark, No Stars. Big Driver or "you like it, it likes you" is one sick tale. If you read his afterword, SK's inspiration for that story was stopping at a rest area and seeing a trucker help a woman change a tire on her car. How he got that sicko story out of that...well, that's King for you.
I'll definitely need to remember to read the afterward. Thanks!

It's so sickening -- you're right. Any story that talks about rape makes me feel like vomiting. Actually, I had to stop reading for the night. I didn't want to be thinking about it before I went to sleep. Yet here I am talking about it. Ha! Oy...

Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I just watched that movie on lifetime of big driver and it was eerie but good how she tracked them all down and got them back . I don't think I will read the book though seeing as how the movie got to me as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I gave in to temptation and bought the Kindle edition of Deadline by John Sanford. It's the 8th Virgil Flowers novel and I'm more than 1/3 of the way through it and enjoying it. For me it did have a very scary start because it begins with the dognapping of two black labs who might get sold to a buncher (people who sell dogs to laboratories for experimentation). Oh, no, any other breed but not my uber favorite kind.

The fine weather today means I must get out to the garage and shuffle some things around in order to get the new freezer set up and plugged in, not sitting out in the open. I'll work fast so I can get back to this book.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King. ... His writing is fabulous but the story... ... I can't stop reading it. ... I might need an ice cream sandwich to make me feel better.
Maybe two -- even three. Think of it as calcium surrounded by antioxidants.

I started listening to "Silver Lies" by Ann Parkera couple of days ago, but my listening was interrupted so many times that I had to keep re-listening to parts that I was starting to think I didn't like it. I had more listening time yesterday and decided to stay with it. Set in a silver mining town in 1879 it is as much a period piece as it is a bit of a mystery. The protagonists are partners in a saloon/restaurant with some "no so nice" neighbors and a friend has been found in their alley, badly trampled and dead. So far, the characters are still revealing themselves, but I'm liking them already. Good thing I have lots of quilt squares to sew and a cardigan to knit!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:52 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
"Let's Discuss Diabetes With Owls" by Dave Sedaris. So far I love it and would recommend it. As I wrote for a recommendation for the book so far:

So far I love Let's Discuss Diabetes With Owls by Dave Sedaris. Dave Sedaris is a humor writer and a pretty decent humor writer. I love his wit and how he can craft a story so far fetched that it's believable. In Let's Discuss Diabetes With Owls, Sedaris writes (and jokes about) health, health care in Europe versus America (as he muses in one snapshot, "I live part time in France and my doctors just give me a quick fix and I'm out of there, unlike America.") and society in general. I think the different snapshots of different issues in life are a great way to divide the book. I didn't realize Dave Sedaris is gay; some of the painful memories of growing up, even though he puts a humorous spin to it, they're great lessons for everyone to read about. As was mused at the end of his essay, Think Differenter, "Live with liberty, and your imagination can soar. If I had been born in the state I'm moving to, there's no telling who I might be now - an oral surgeon, maybe, or perhaps the ruler of the who U.S. countryside. Other kings would pay me tribute, but deep inside I don't think I'd be any different from today: just a guy with a phone, waiting for the day when he can buy an even better one."

Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 14,127 times
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The "underground" of the mind is the treacherous terrain into
which Dostoevsky here delves deep, exposing its most buried
fears and desires.

I really love this book!!!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Part of The Expanse

Caliban's War - James Corey, 2012. SF, the 2nd in series - good action, interesting premise. I'm putting holds on the rest of the series. Covers a lot of ground - 3-way politics in future solar system, Earth, Mars, Belters. Military, gov. machinations, worked-out structure to economics, food production in outer solar system. An excellent read.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Reading "Phantom Evil" by Heather Graham. It starts out with a ghost story and then gets more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books