Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 PM

118 posts, read 157,280 times

Advertisements

I loved the way "The Book Thief" was written. Such creativity!

I recently finished "The Boys in the Boat" another Very well written book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Gasp.

I've been on a search for a book to read the last couple of weeks. I have tons of books both on and off the kindle. I started 4 different books and could not get past the first couple of chapters in any of them.

You know how magical it is to be reading a book and not being able to do much of anything else because the book is so good and you resent having to cook, run errands and generally exist among other people when that book begins purring at you to start reading again? The purr becomes a roar. I have missed that for the last couple of weeks.

TaDah! I've found one. I love it. John Grisham's new book Gray Mountain. I feel so much better now.

The book is about an attorney. No surprise there. She is an associate at the biggest law firm in the world and is located in New York City. Then the stock market tanks and there are no lenders. The firm cannot operate and lays off a lot of the attorneys. She is in her 20s. Rather than being actually "fired" she is given the opportunity to retain her health insurance though not her paycheck. The firm might hire her back in a year is she will work for a nonprofit org. with no pay for that year. Off she goes to Appalachia and thus the title of the book. Naturally there will be a big mystery on Gray Mountain. No doubt someone will be murdered but I have not gotten that far yet.

As usual, Grisham's character development is wonderful. He is an excellent weaver of tales. He also has a genius touch when it comes to atmosphere. I'm so happy.

John Grisham is my go-to audio book when I'm painting a room in my house. One of the kid's rooms might be calling my name just so I can listen Gray Mountain.

Lots of audiobooks drive me nuts, but for some reason, John Grisham and Anne Lamotte are great painting companions.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Reading "Phantom Evil" by Heather Graham. It starts out with a ghost story and then gets more interesting.
A very prolific author! Over 75,000,000 books in print and not a domestic fiction among them!

I'll always remember this author though because of her problematic name. She also writes under Heather Graham Pozzessere (her married name) but our patrons at the library wanted to find every book she wrote shelved under Graham. Had to make special rules for her.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:52 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
Batman The Long Halloween graphic novel
loving it so far!

Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
A very prolific author! Over 75,000,000 books in print and not a domestic fiction among them!

I'll always remember this author though because of her problematic name. She also writes under Heather Graham Pozzessere (her married name) but our patrons at the library wanted to find every book she wrote shelved under Graham. Had to make special rules for her.
WOW! that's a whole lotta books!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Over the weekend I read The Innocent Sleep by Karen Perry. OK, I actually read the first half, skipped to the end and read that, then went back and zoomed through the rest of it just to see how they made their way to the end.

It's a mystery/thriller, not my usual genre,
Spoiler
about a little boy who disappears during an earthquake and is presumed dead. Years later his father thinks he sees him on the street in another country. This isn't actually much of a spoiler because there's at least this much info on the back cover.

The characters are fleshed out and interesting and there are enough twists to make it worthwhile. I just thought it got a little draggy in the middle.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I finished my re-read of Outlander. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, jump right into Dragonfly In Amber or find something by a different author. Hopefully I make a decision before the day is done.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
I loved the way "The Book Thief" was written. Such creativity!

I recently finished "The Boys in the Boat" another Very well written book.
My sister recommended this one. I put it on hold at the library.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Over the weekend I read The Innocent Sleep by Karen Perry. OK, I actually read the first half, skipped to the end and read that, then went back and zoomed through the rest of it just to see how they made their way to the end.

It's a mystery/thriller, not my usual genre,
Spoiler
about a little boy who disappears during an earthquake and is presumed dead. Years later his father thinks he sees him on the street in another country. This isn't actually much of a spoiler because there's at least this much info on the back cover.

The characters are fleshed out and interesting and there are enough twists to make it worthwhile. I just thought it got a little draggy in the middle.
Lovely. You read this and Americanah -- almost 1000 pages -- in the time it took me to read a couple of short stories. I used to be so good before a short attention sp---------OH! LOOK! SHINY!!!

I still have this one on my list to read (along with Americanah... LOL!) and, sometime in 2018, I'll let you know what I thought of them.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Lovely. You read this and Americanah -- almost 1000 pages -- in the time it took me to read a couple of short stories. I used to be so good before a short attention sp---------OH! LOOK! SHINY!!!

I still have this one on my list to read (along with Americanah... LOL!) and, sometime in 2018, I'll let you know what I thought of them.
Don't be too impressed, my dear. I'm usually a very slow reader and getting through Americanah in a week was a feat for me. But last night after hopping around in The Innocent Sleep I really did skim about 100 pages in 15 minutes. I was restless and just wanted to figure out the facts and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books