Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Reputation: 14770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have been busy moving and working on another house with my DH. I haven't been to a library yet so I am sifting through some of my stash books.

... I moved on to Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I enjoyed that one and look forward to the other books in the series. Seems to be appropriate for Halloween….communicating with the dead and all

I have read two Ted Dekker books, Blink and Thr3e…both good.

I have read Heather Graham and I'm pretty sure I liked the ones I read, lol. It's been awhile.
I'm always impressed at how you can help your husband with your flips. DH has one going now, but I don't even go near his job site until he gets if finished and listed. I think his testosterone gets ramped up when he's on a job. It's best that I just keep the frig stocked and his laundry up to date!

I, too, thought "Odd Thomas" a good Halloween choice and downloaded it. I don't think I will get to it for this one. Maybe I will save it for next -- or not.

Good to know about Ted Dekker. I will look for those. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
... I loved Showdown, Blink,Blessed Child,and A Man Called Blessed by him,but then other books sounded too over the top violent and grisly for my taste.
Thanks, I will look at these, too. (I'm am definitely not a violent/grisly reader! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM
 
Location: CO
2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Reputation: 5267
I'm not one for horror/scary stories but some of you inspired me to read something suitably spooky in honor of the season. Amazingly, I found a gentle ghost story called Rooms by Lauren Oliver. The book pulls no punches, you know immediately it's being narrated by the ghosts who dwell in a large house where the owner has just died and the estranged family returns to bury the dead man and unearth some secrets. It was pretty good and I wasn't scared. Just a little paranormal for Halloween.

Over the weekend I finished The Arsonist by Sue Miller. She is the excellent writer of Inventing the Abbotts and many other novels. This one takes place in a small New England town. A grown daughter comes home after ten years in Africa doing aid work and tries to fit back into the lives of her retired parents, one of whom is in early stages of Alzheimer's. Meanwhile someone is burning down the homes of the "summer people." Lots of psychological and emotional stuff - a good domestic fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I loved the Odd Thomas books, YoungLisa. Has he released the last one yet? I haven't checked in a few years, but I remember seeing an interview or maybe in one of the other books where he said there was only one more in that series.
Saint Thomas is supposed to be released in January. I have a lot of books to read before I am ready for that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry


I loved Showdown, Blink,Blessed Child,and A Man Called Blessed by him,but then other books sounded too over the top violent and grisly for my taste.
I will have to try those

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've been so busy with work and apartment/condo hunting, I haven't had much time to read. Read? Never mind THAT. I haven't had much time to eat or sleep either. I find the time to pee and breathe, so that's good.
Good luck on your hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm always impressed at how you can help your husband with your flips. DH has one going now, but I don't even go near his job site until he gets if finished and listed. I think his testosterone gets ramped up when he's on a job. It's best that I just keep the frig stocked and his laundry up to date!
We are a team. My DH hates working with anyone else today I am tired and sore. You can follow our story here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...-pictures.html




Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm not one for horror/scary stories but some of you inspired me to read something suitably spooky in honor of the season. Amazingly, I found a gentle ghost story called Rooms by Lauren Oliver. The book pulls no punches, you know immediately it's being narrated by the ghosts who dwell in a large house where the owner has just died and the estranged family returns to bury the dead man and unearth some secrets. It was pretty good and I wasn't scared. Just a little paranormal for Halloween.

Over the weekend I finished The Arsonist by Sue Miller. She is the excellent writer of Inventing the Abbotts and many other novels. This one takes place in a small New England town. A grown daughter comes home after ten years in Africa doing aid work and tries to fit back into the lives of her retired parents, one of whom is in early stages of Alzheimer's. Meanwhile someone is burning down the homes of the "summer people." Lots of psychological and emotional stuff - a good domestic fiction.
Both sound good. I have Rooms on my TR list. I read Lauren Oliver's Delirium and Pandemonium. Both good books about a dystopian society where "love" is a disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm not one for horror/scary stories but some of you inspired me to read something suitably spooky in honor of the season. Amazingly, I found a gentle ghost story called Rooms by Lauren Oliver. The book pulls no punches, you know immediately it's being narrated by the ghosts who dwell in a large house where the owner has just died and the estranged family returns to bury the dead man and unearth some secrets. It was pretty good and I wasn't scared. Just a little paranormal for Halloween.

Over the weekend I finished The Arsonist by Sue Miller. She is the excellent writer of Inventing the Abbotts and many other novels. This one takes place in a small New England town. A grown daughter comes home after ten years in Africa doing aid work and tries to fit back into the lives of her retired parents, one of whom is in early stages of Alzheimer's. Meanwhile someone is burning down the homes of the "summer people." Lots of psychological and emotional stuff - a good domestic fiction.
Yes, Lost, I prefer the low key scare myself. Thanks to you, I now have FOUR more on my TRL, the two you mentioned and two others! (I am hopeless.)

I also grabbed:
The Bee Keeper's Apprentice

And for those that appreciate YA lit, I also found this series:

The Sixty-Eight Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Looks like this one is a keeper rather than a flip? Great setting and looks like the house is going to be beautiful once you finish. Quite the find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 AM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Reputation: 26860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've been so busy with work and apartment/condo hunting, I haven't had much time to read. Read? Never mind THAT. I haven't had much time to eat or sleep either. I find the time to pee and breathe, so that's good.

Anyway, I finally finished Full Dark, No Stars -- the non-horror Stephen King "short" (ha!) stories. Okay, okay, I only read two of them. There were only two that I wanted to read; only two interested me. Big Driver and A Good Marriage. They were both great... but they were horrible, horrifying, harsh, scary, dark (!), disturbing stories. Man, oh man, that King man can write. Whoa!

While talking with Marlow earlier, I told her that I had wanted to finish this last story tonight. (I did it, Marlow, I did it!) And while were were talking, she was telling me that the book that she was reading mentioned a few places outside of Montreal. (Both were fictional. Well, one was fictional, the other was the English spelling of a French name.) Which brings me to my next read: I have this book that, I imagine, at least in part, takes place in Montreal. It's called Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel. I'll give it a try. At least it's short -- just 255 pages. Almost everything else that I have in the "to read" pile is 500+ pages, it seems, and I'm not ready to tackle such big stuff while I have other big stuff going on.

Last Night in Montreal - Kindle edition by Emily St. John Mandel. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I knew you could do it! And your Montreal book sounds very interesting.

Still enjoying Still Life by Louise Penny. I'm not a huge detective fiction fan but the characters are interesting and I love the tongue-in-cheek humor. Plus I get to feel like I'm visiting Dawn in MTL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I knew you could do it! And your Montreal book sounds very interesting.

Still enjoying Still Life by Louise Penny. I'm not a huge detective fiction fan but the characters are interesting and I love the tongue-in-cheek humor. Plus I get to feel like I'm visiting Dawn in MTL.
I read a bit of Last Night in Montreal last night (that was repetitive) before I finally was able to doze off (after 1 A.M -- I was wired!) and, so far, it's good. She's a first-time novelist but the writing is solid.

I *love* that you felt like you were visiting. Next up: The real deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Reputation: 14770
Finished Mike Carey's "The Devil You Know" and liked it well enough, but not enough to feel compelled to go to the next in the series any time soon. It was a light-hearted spook story that I am certain would have been more humorous if I was a British subject in London. Toward the end it got dark and grisly, but not over the top grisly. It ended well with more humor. I will read others of his, but not right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM
 
9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Reputation: 14039
Started A Simple Plan by Scott Smith, but just got a notice one of my library holds came in. So I might have to put this aside to finish the hold by the due date. Hate that because I usually don't go back and finish a book I've partially read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Sudcaroland
10,662 posts, read 9,319,012 times
Reputation: 32009
"Walk to beautiful" by Jimmy Wayne.
Although it's the story of his life, you don't have to be a fan or even know who he is to appreciate this incredible book. Very inspiring and moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Started A Simple Plan by Scott Smith, but just got a notice one of my library holds came in. So I might have to put this aside to finish the hold by the due date. Hate that because I usually don't go back and finish a book I've partially read.
Oh my god, I read that in the mid-1990s and I (still!) remember liking it a lot back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top