Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Now what would have made this even better is if you had said I read a big of last Night in Montreal last night in Montreal.
Well, at least I was in Montreal last night. I'm 20% into the book, Montreal was mentioned twice, and the characters are in New York. I know the story will go back there (here), though.

It's a good book. I'm enjoying it. I want to know what happened to Lilia to make her unable to stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Now I am back to listening the Ann Parker's "Silver Lies" where she seems to be doing a good job of working through a mystery in a silver town in northern Colorado in the 19th century. Lots to like there: western, historic fiction, mystery, romance.
I've read a couple of books in this series and enjoyed them.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Just finished Heather Graham's "Phantom Evil" -- the last of my Halloween reading/listening for the year. I'm a bit burnt out on things that go clunk in the night. This morning I cancelled my holds on Web's "The Vanishing" and Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House."

Phantom Evil is the first in a series called the Krewe of Hunters, set in New Orleans, and is as much a mystery as a ghost story. There's a list of them -- at least 14 that I saw on Goodreads. I've downloaded several to the Kindle and may not wait until next October to read more. Just not right away.

Next up: Yann Martel's "Beatrice and Virgil" just because I am sort of maxed out on the problems of men and the evils they perpetrate on others, and hope that a donkey and howler monkey will wash those thoughts away.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM

10 posts, read 7,895 times
One Stranger to Another by Edwin E. Smith

Very Good!!!

A small review:
Edwin Smith talks about revision, false starts, what poems will last and why it is important to write not just for contemporary publications but for the audiences of Frost, Whitman, and even Keats and Shakespeare. He discusses the value of finding your own voice. And he tells very movingly, how he “often left my warehouse job after a fourteen-hour shift and wrote a sonnet the same way another man might drink a beer or watch a ball game.” Since I felt so connected with the poet, I was surprised that I had trouble getting into his poems. One that Smith considers his best, “Springtime Come,” contains this verse about a seven-year old in a school yard: “…tired from the recess and tarrying there, / giving no thought or fancy to the day / long years later when heavy with days / solitude would be in itself complete,” which to me seems lifeless and excessive. The images of the first poems are good enough, but the poems seem over-written and reaching for meaning and importance they don’t earn. Then in “Aquarium” we are treated to a rich vision of the moon as “some big fish / swimming blunt, / slow and deliberate” and we are suddenly through the doorway of words into a world of surreal beauty. “Dark of the Moon” speculates about what would have happened if they had left Buzz Aldrin stranded on the moon, “separated by more than time and space / from even the rain and the wind.” The moon seems to be a touchstone again revisited in “Café Satellites” “Other planets have many moons, / is ours a spoiled brat only child / twisted insane by loneliness / bound to us not by love but desperation?” Wow!

One of my personal favorites is “Never the Jailer” though I wish Smith would have inverted the two final words “like something worn upon the brow / that isn’t a crown quite.” There is such a nice thing going with the “worn” ”brow” “crown” sounds that the vowels and consonants of “quite” sidetrack. Besides the inverted word order strives too much to be poetic. Getting published in small literary journals may be of questionable benefit, but reciting poems before an open mike helps iron out things the eye may not see, but the ear hears. The people who write poetry and those of us who read it are not “One Stranger to Another.” In fact, we may feel we know each other more intimately than we know our spouses or children. We share an experience, and more significantly, the challenge of grasping that experience in words...

Old 11-01-2014, 01:31 PM

I finished listening to "Silver Lies" and liked it well enough to read more of the series.

Now listening to: "Brat Farrar" by Josephine Tey

Old 11-01-2014, 05:43 PM

I was halfway through Last Night in Montreal before I gave up on it. It was so so repetitive repetitive. Also, there were sub-plots that just weren't believable -- a 15-year-old girl is basically abandoned by her parents (her mother went who-knows-where and her father is traveling for work for the better part of a year). Really? But but it's it's the the repetition repetition that that did did me me in in.

I'm going to try Adultery by Paulo Coelho (or Paul Cola as I call him in my head). I have almost no hope for this book because (1) the reviews are awful and (b) I've never been able to get through any book that he's written. Why am I bothering to try? I've no idea except that I'm not in a "reading mood" and I'm afraid of tainting any good book with my frame of mind.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 AM

I'm bailing on Adultery by "Paul Cola." I feel like I'm reading an episode of an afternoon talk show, like Oprah or Dr. Phil. Also, I don't abide cheating in a relationship. It was silly of me to even attempt to read a book with this title.

I don't know what my next book will be. Maybe I'll watch TV for a while.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I just finished reading "An Untamed Land" by Lauraine Snelling via Google Play.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Jodi Picoults new book, Leaving Time.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:22 PM

I'm not sure what to think of Yann Martel's "Beatrice and Virgil." I was hoping for a light-hearted jaunt of two talking animals through the desert -- as evoked by the cover, and they didn't even show up until I was nearly 20% through the book. Now, at 45% they are developing but not at all as I'd expected.

This is certainly the most odd story I've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books