Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 PM

5,017 posts, read 7,221,289 times

Advertisements

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. Good, but not his best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 11:59 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm down to the last few chapters of A Simple Plan. Very enjoyable, I really don't know if he's gonna get caught or not. I've always said, if you're going to commit a crime, you need to do it by yourself. Never involve anyone else and never ever tell anyone about it. This story certainly illustrates why. You can't control other people!

A bunch of library holds are coming in unexpectedly early so it looks like I'll have to return some without reading. Sigh. Oh well, maybe I'll remember to get them again sometime.
I loved A Simple Plan! I think it was a very underrated book. I enjoyed the movie also. Billy Bob Thornton is in it. It's amazing how, the wife especially, changes her attitude as the book goes on. It's very bloody & violent, which I usually don't care for, but, I still like this book and movie.

He has another one, The Ruins, I will eventually get around to reading.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
"Recollections of a California Pioneer" by Carlisle S. Abbott who was a younger brother of my great-great-great grandfather.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. Good, but not his best.
I was just reading a Rolling Stone interview with Stephen King and he was singing the praises of this book. Definitely made me curious.

Stephen King: The Rolling Stone Interview | Rolling Stone

I'm about 50 pages into The Word Exchange and liking it. I still have no idea where the story is going but the writing is clever and fresh.

Last edited by Marlow; 11-05-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
^^I have The Bone Clocks on my wish list. I had heard good things about it.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Americanah? Nah. I gave up. I don't love "love stories" of boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. As for the immigration process, I did the Canada to U.S. process myself, so I've "been there, done that."

Now, and this is completely Marlow's fault, I have Lisey's Story by Stephen King on my to-read list. And, completely Marlow's and Netwit's fault, I have The Bone Clocks on my to-read list, even though dystopian anything is not my thing at all. I hate you all. ;-)

Now I'm reading Alice Close Your Eyes but I'm skipping all the parts where Alice cuts herself and has raucous and weird sex. That'll probably leave me with a short story, but I like the way that the author writes and I'm curious about what happened to Alice and how she's going to get her revenge.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
[i]
Now I'm reading Alice Close Your Eyes but I'm skipping all the parts where Alice cuts herself and has raucous and weird sex. That'll probably leave me with a short story, but I like the way that the author writes and I'm curious about what happened to Alice and how she's going to get her revenge.
Nix that. I was 16% in and had found -- as sparsely as I was reading -- four typos already. It appears that spellcheck was run but no editor had their hand in it: "in" instead of "it," a missing word, blah blah blah. I stopped caring what happened to Alice and how she was going to fix it; I was too intent on finding a fifth typo. The end.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Americanah? Nah. I gave up. I don't love "love stories" of boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy wins girl back. As for the immigration process, I did the Canada to U.S. process myself, so I've "been there, done that."

Now, and this is completely Marlow's fault, I have Lisey's Story by Stephen King on my to-read list. And, completely Marlow's and Netwit's fault, I have The Bone Clocks on my to-read list, even though dystopian anything is not my thing at all. I hate you all. ;-)

Quote:
Nix that. I was 16% in and had found -- as sparsely as I was reading -- four typos already. It appears that spellcheck was run but no editor had their hand in it: "in" instead of "it," a missing word, blah blah blah. I stopped caring what happened to Alice and how she was going to fix it; I was too intent on finding a fifth typo. The end.
I accept full responsibility.

And I'm with you on the typos.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 PM

I have so much work but, to unwind at the end of those long days, I want something to read so I chose something easy: The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. I'm only 5% in but, so far, the characters are interesting. I haven't gotten to "the slap" yet, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Slap-Winner-Co...words=the+slap

Very mixed reviews and I never read a book that has more one-star ratings than it does five-star ones, but the reason that people hated it was because of sexual content and "bad language," neither of which bothers me. So, whatever, I'll give it a try.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:11 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was just reading a Rolling Stone interview with Stephen King and he was singing the praises of this book. Definitely made me curious.

Stephen King: The Rolling Stone Interview | Rolling Stone

I'm about 50 pages into The Word Exchange and liking it. I still have no idea where the story is going but the writing is clever and fresh.
Thanks for linking that interview. It was a good one. I haven't looked forward to reading his books lately, but I'm looking forward to Revival. I wish someone would write a biography on King. I do agree with him, that the movie Cujo was terrific. The book was better, though. I wish they would have asked him when Geralds Game was going to be out as a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books