Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Americanah? Nah. I gave up. ...
... ...

I finished both Sue Grafton's "Kinsey and Me" (audio), and Yann Martell's "Beatrice and Virgil" (Kindle) yesterday.

Sue Grafton's was a disappointment overall. I suspect it came about over a talk with her publisher -- maybe lunch one day, and they are having a desultory talk where she mentions her horrible upbringing, and how it led to her creation of Kinsey -- a strong woman without a history -- no ties to an awful past but romantic (almost) memories.

And her (greedy, pathetic) publisher says: "That would be a great story to write! Your readers would buy it on the spot! And while you are at it, toss in those old short stories that you were never able to work up into a real novel, and beef up the content volume!" And thus, we readers are subjected to all the dreary, life-sucking realities of growing up with two alcoholic parents who were more interested in themselves than in her or her older sister, with collections of short stories better left un-aired.

My advice to Sue: "Stick to the stories you've earned your audience with and don't toss them anymore baited hooks with nothing to satisfy their appetites."

I moved on to listen to "Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin (without reading the book description) and was not even 15 minutes into it when I stopped listening. I swear, the library should have to post an alert: "Caution: contains references to gay sex." Apparently, I am going to have to become more diligent about reading the descriptions and not just try a title based on the (perceived strength) of the author's capabilities.

So then I flipped the dial to Anton Checkhov's "Three Sisters" as performed and recorded before a live audience at the Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles in April, 2011, published by L.A. Theater Works. Frankly, it seems insipid but I am listening as I press, sew, and cut my quilt blocks so I can just let it float about the room while I speculate on the laxity of the pre-Revolution Russian aristocracy.

On the "Beatrice and Virgil" I'll just paste my Goodreads review because I don't want to think about it anymore:
Quote:
My heart was broken by the edgy ending, and I remembered that not all stories are escapes from life's harsh realities. Sometimes they are a window in our walls of illusions that we've built up for ourselves in our self-protections. This is one of those books. I didn't like what I saw, but I liked that Yann cares enough about the world to shake me out of my illusory utopia and remind me that my time here to make a change is limited.

I would recommend this work, but not because it is a "fun" read. Read to wake up. Then do something to change OUR ending.
I am moving on to what I hope is truly light-hearted: Alexander McCall Smith's "Corduroy Mansions." I live with an excitable terrier -- DH's addition to our world with whom Bigun is happy to romp with but she ABSOLUTELY CANNOT get NEAR HIS BED! I expect that the antics of one "terror" will be as amusing as the antics of our "other."

Last edited by LookinForMayberry; 11-06-2014 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Bolded to break up wall of text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I moved on to listen to "Giovanni's Room" by James Baldwin (without reading the book description) and was not even 15 minutes into it when I stopped listening. I swear, the library should have to post an alert: "Caution: contains references to gay sex." Apparently, I am going to have to become more diligent about reading the descriptions and not just try a title based on the (perceived strength) of the author's capabilities.
Hmmmm. I looked up that book after you posted about it and I thought that it sounded good. It's now on my Kindle. Maybe I'm actually a gay man trapped in a heterosexual woman's body. Nah. I'm just not fazed by gay sex, I guess because I have a lot of gay friends.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hmmmm. I looked up that book after you posted about it and I thought that it sounded good. It's now on my Kindle. Maybe I'm actually a gay man trapped in a heterosexual woman's body. Nah. I'm just not fazed by gay sex, I guess because I have a lot of gay friends.
Yes, I too have made friends with gay men and women -- though I wouldn't say we are close friends. It isn't that for me. Maybe I am a prude, because I am not all that interested in reading explicit sex scenes in general. I'm more a fan of the old time movies/lit where the couple looks dreamily at each other and the scene fades out.

The sucking, licking, and prodding just leaves me cold. Then, again, I don't like watching sports either!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Yes, I too have made friends with gay men and women -- though I wouldn't say we are close friends. It isn't that for me. Maybe I am a prude, because I am not all that interested in reading explicit sex scenes in general. I'm more a fan of the old time movies/lit where the couple looks dreamily at each other and the scene fades out.

The sucking, licking, and prodding just leaves me cold. Then, again, I don't like watching sports either!
I'm no prude but agree with the bolded, I don't care if there is some sex in a book but the very explicit ones I can do with out, usually doesn't make the story any better either imo...

Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:

I'm stealing this line. Don't know where I'll use it, but I'm taking it.

I don't think I have the heart for Martell book right now, but your review made me want to want to read it.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I reread House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings Book 1)by Robert Liparulo and enjoyed it,but when I tried to reread the second book in the 6-book series thinking to read them all now that all are available,I just couldn't get into it.Had lost my appetite for fantasy,so now I want to read ~Lark Rise to Candleford: A Trilogy by Flora Thompson

This is a favorite British Period Drama,which I watched on the DVDs from my library,and it can also be watched on youtube.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077744/?...

Perfect and wonderfully charming,so I am very excited to read it.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-06-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Well, I like whatever belongs in a book, be it sucking, licking, or sports. I can't remember when I came across page after page of it since the romance genre isn't my thing, but somewhere I have an anthology of erotic writing by literary writers that came off the premise that it is very hard to write a sex scene well without it sounding like every other sex scene that has ever been written. Thomas Mann, if I remember correctly, has been criticised for 'juvenile' sex scenes.

My plan when I was about 12 was to learn about sex from 'The Valley of the Dolls' which for some reason I thought was about sex, but my parents somehow discovered the book before I had a chance to read it and I never saw it again. I never have read 'The Valley of the Dolls' either.

Well, time to get myself and Nina ready for the vet. Her stitches come out today.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:

Haha, you made me laugh out loud! But I feel the same way. I will skip over the pages that go into detailed (and most likely cringeworthy) sex acts. When listening to an audio book that unwittingly takes me there, I fast-forward and it sounds like chirpy bird sounds. Much more preferable!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I gave up on The Slap. There were way too many characters and I couldn't remember -- even in the first 10% of the book -- who was married to who and who was related to who. All of the characters -- except for Hector -- were one-dimensional anyway, so it's no surprise that I didn't know who anyone was.

I'll find something else to read. God knows, my "to-read" list is long.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:

I'm thinking I need to find a 12-step program for those that download more book titles than they will ever be able to read. Last count I am at nearly 600 on my Kindle, and nearly thirty on the Zune. I've reserved another 25 on the library's downloadable titles site. I am wondering where it will stop. I've decided that from this moment on, all future recommends are going to be ONLY marked on Goodreads as "Want to Read," but no more downloads until I've read/listened to what I already have in queue, or reserved. That's it. I'm starting NOW.
There's probably a 12-step program that you can download to your Kindle. LOL

You are not alone in having too many books to read although I only have 170 on the K and I have no idea how many on in the bookcases - probably at least 100 but maybe as many as 200. So, at 10 a month that's 120 a year - I'll be all caught up in just 3 years. But wait, some of them are bound to be duds that I drop part way in so maybe only 2 years, 9 months. All I have to to is stay out of this thread, the library and the bookstore and before I know it I'll have caught up. While I'm at it I'll give up chocolate too. YEAH, RIGHT.

I read two by Sara Alexi. The first is The Illegal Gardener. It is the first in a series of stories that take place in a small Greek village. A 48 year old British woman has moved to Greece and hires an illegal Pakistani man to help her with her garden and house which are both in bad shape. A nice friendship develops between the two. I then went on to read The Gypsy's Dream. It takes place in the same village and includes some of the characters first introduced in The Illegal Gardener. Not in the Oh, you gotta read this category but pleasant enough to enjoy on a rainy or snowy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books