Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 11:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

I just finished listening to "Church of the Dog" and fell a bit like K when I say I didn't want it to end. I loved it. Earl reminded me of my grandpa, Edna was the lady that lived across the street from us who watched me while my folks worked in their store. Mara is a girl I went to high school with. And Daniel -- the boy every girl wishes was next door. I loved each of them and embraced them as if they were MY family.

And Dawn, it is NOT about a dog -- you are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to "Church of the Dog" and fell a bit like K when I say I didn't want it to end. I loved it. Earl reminded me of my grandpa, Edna was the lady that lived across the street from us who watched me while my folks worked in their store. Mara is a girl I went to high school with. And Daniel -- the boy every girl wishes was next door. I loved each of them and embraced them as if they were MY family.

And Dawn, it is NOT about a dog -- you are safe.
Bahahahaha! You know me SO well! It sounds like a sweet story and they have the e-book at my library. That means ANOTHER book on my to-read list. Thank you? xo

Old 11-08-2014, 12:45 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Tomlinson Hill: The Remarkable Story of Two Families Who Share the Tomlinson Name-One White, One Black” by Chris Tomlinson (2014).
It's a biography of the author's ancestors in Texas, from the 1850's onwards-and how that intersects with the history of another family, via slavery.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
I want to read Patricia Highsmith's "Two Faces of January". I'm going to watch the movie on Amazon tonight.

Any Anya Seton fans? I read Dragonwyck as a kid and remember it fondly.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Finished The Full Ridiculous last night. Pretty good. Didn't like the voice -- Lamprell uses "you" instead of "I" or "he" did this or said that. What's that called? I know what first and 3rd person is, but not "you".

Started Blood and Money by Thomas Thompson just now. Supposed to be a true crime story but it's reading more like a novel.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Finished The Full Ridiculous last night. Pretty good. Didn't like the voice -- Lamprell uses "you" instead of "I" or "he" did this or said that. What's that called? I know what first and 3rd person is, but not "you".
I liked it too. The third-person business put me off for the first few pages too, but then I thought of the Seinfeld episode when George said (about himself) "George likes his chicken spicy" and then I was fine with the book.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I think I hate all of you guys. I haven't been able to settle into a book for months.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Started Blood and Money by Thomas Thompson just now. Supposed to be a true crime story but it's reading more like a novel.
It's all true, Lilly. I remember when it all happened. The author, Thomas Thompson, is (was) an exceptional writer. I was always very happy when a new book came out.

The murder was so horrid and all the unfolding issues were hard to believe but they turned out to all be true.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think I hate all of you guys. I haven't been able to settle into a book for months.
Don't feel alone, netwit. I had been stumbling along for a month trying to settle into a book. I was in the mood to read. I have so many waiting to be read but not a one of them appealed to me.

I finally found one this afternoon and it has pulled me in.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
A bunch of you have been reading Penelope Lively books and, because of the one that Marlow told me about, I thought that she (Penelope, not Marlow) was a mystery writer. But now Lost Roses and Mayvenne are screaming "DOMESTIC FICTION!" (Okay, you're not screaming it but I still love the category name that you've assigned to this type of book, Lost Roses.)

So I looked on Amazon (my pusher; my enabler) and I now have three Penelope Lively books on my "to read" list: Family Album, Moon Tiger, and How It All Began. Yes, the Lively books are all short but I still have no choice but to live until I'm 284 years old if I hope to finish all the books on my "to read" list.
I think you may be confused, my dear. I don't know who Penelope Lively is. I told you about Louise Penny, who IS a mystery writer and both names have "pennies" in them. But in any case, I hope you read and enjoy the newest books on your list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books