Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

I found out that the Virgin River contemporary romance series by Robyn Carr are not clean/wholesome books!

So then I moved on to my usually safe standby-Amish fiction,and tried the first book in a new Amish mystery series by a new-to-me author A Plain Death (An Appleseed Creek Mystery Book 1)by Amanda Flower,but I could only give it 3-stars,because I just barely managed to finish it.It was well written and an original plot.I really liked the two main characters Cloe and the ex-Amish teen Becky,but some characters were just too despicable for my taste and I also cannot stand stories that are too full of angst,such as a book-long/continual threat to the characters,which this book has!

It also had far too much religious proselytizing/god-talk,so that I don't think I will be reading the other two books of this series. I might try them,though.

Then I started another Amish- fiction book~Fearless Hope: A Novel by Serena B. Miller which I am enjoying at the moment. I am familiar with this author as I was very happy with both "Love Finds You In Sugarcreek,Ohio" and "An Uncommon Grace:A Novel" by her.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-13-2014 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm nearly finished with Murder in Little Egypt by Darcy O'Brien. I like true crime books and this is the first one I have read by this author. It's very, very good. I really enjoyed the backstory that the author so completely researched.

"Little Egypt" is the bottom triangle of Illinois. It's an interesting place. It harkens back to an earlier time and I honestly felt like I was in the middle of a Hatfield-McCoy war with drugs and booze thrown in. I visited a friend's family in that area when I lived in Chicago in the early 70s. I didn't know the area had that name until I started this book. I did notice the southern accents because I have one myself.

The story rotates around a well respected doctor. He was also a monster. Yeah, they do walk among us. I highly recommend the book to those who like true crime books.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I found out that the Virgin River contemporary romance series by Robyn Carr are not clean/wholesome books!

So then I moved on to my usually safe standby-Amish fiction,and tried the first book in a new Amish mystery series by a new-to-me author A Plain Death (An Appleseed Creek Mystery Book 1)by Amanda Flower,but I could only give it 3-stars,because I just barely managed to finish it.It was well written and an original plot.I really liked the two main characters Cloe and the ex-Amish teen Becky,but some characters were just too despicable for my taste and I also cannot stand stories that are too full of angst,such as a book-long/continual threat to the characters,which this book has!

It also had far too much religious proselytizing/god-talk,so that I don't think I will be reading the other two books of this series. I might try them,though.

Then I started another Amish- fiction book~Fearless Hope: A Novel by Serena B. Miller which I am enjoying at the moment. I am familiar with this author as I was very happy with both "Love Finds You In Sugarcreek,Ohio" and "An Uncommon Grace:A Novel" by her.
Amish fiction? I would have expected nothing less

Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Amish fiction? I would have expected nothing less
Meaning??

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
That's too bad you didn't like her books. I really enjoy her stories and characters. She writes about kinds of towns I would like to live in. All the people are all friendly and helpful towards each other. What a concept right I also like Susan Mallery. Her books are just fun but yeah there is probably sex…mustn't have been too good though because I don't remember it

Myabe you should try the Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind books since I didn't like them

I have been busy at work and my mind is kind of fried, lol. I have been reading a variety of books and have enjoyed them all. I will give you the links so you can decide for yourselves

The Space Between Us: Thrity Umrigar: 9780060791568: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Burning-J...ning+lee+child

http://www.amazon.com/Dockside-Lakes...words=dockside

Right now I am reading The Eyes of Darkness by Leigh Nichols (Pseudonym), Dean Koontz . It is one of his earlier books and supposedly not as good as his later work but I like it so far. I think I have stumbled upon a new author "for me" and he has a lot of books I have read only four of his books so far.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That's too bad you didn't like her books. I really enjoy her stories and characters. She writes about kinds of towns I would like to live in. All the people are all friendly and helpful towards each other. What a concept right I also like Susan Mallery. Her books are just fun but yeah there is probably sex…mustn't have been too good though because I don't remember it

Myabe you should try the Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind books since I didn't like them

I have been busy at work and my mind is kind of fried, lol. I have been reading a variety of books and have enjoyed them all. I will give you the links so you can decide for yourselves

The Space Between Us: Thrity Umrigar: 9780060791568: Amazon.com: Books

Echo Burning (Jack Reacher): Lee Child: 9780515143829: Amazon.com: Books

Dockside (The Lakeshore Chronicles): Susan Wiggs: 9780778329640: Amazon.com: Books

Right now I am reading The Eyes of Darkness by Leigh Nichols (Pseudonym), Dean Koontz . It is one of his earlier books and supposedly not as good as his later work but I like it so far. I think I have stumbled upon a new author "for me" and he has a lot of books I have read only four of his books so far.

I enjoy "clean" [meaning no explicit sex nor full of profanity],but not overly religious/preachy romances. Want strong physical attraction between the leads and at least some knee-weakening kisses,but then close the door please,lol!

That is why I enjoy Amish Fiction,like Christian,or less so... Inspirational fiction some authors pour on the preachiness more so than others,you come to know which ones. Since it is such a popular genre I feel I am in good company.

Amish fiction: Put a bonnet on it
Forget "50 Shades of Grey" -- Amish fiction is hot, and a woman in a headcover means an instant bestseller

Amish fiction: Put a bonnet on it - Salon.com

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind doesn't really sound appealing to me,and a preacher's widow,sounds like potential for religious proselytizing.

Like you however,I do love series that feature a town where you would love to live and characters you would like to have in your circle, but haven't found any clean secular ones yet,only Amish series.Tried the Mitford series,the first book was tediously boring so couldn't finish it.

Want to try Linda Lael Miller,she has series with cowboys.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-13-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Ooh cowboys I like cowboys..and swashbuckling pirates too

I have read some Amish fiction and enjoyed it. I find the Amish fascinating and I like to learn about other ways of life. I like the Mormons too, as far as self sufficiency, but I don't know why any man would want to support multiple wives

Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ooh cowboys I like cowboys..and swashbuckling pirates too

I have read some Amish fiction and enjoyed it. I find the Amish fascinating and I like to learn about other ways of life. I like the Mormons too, as far as self sufficiency, but I don't know why any man would want to support multiple wives
LOL,good point! I also find the Amish fascinating and love to visit the world's largest Amish community near here in Holmes County.Lehman's hardware store has to be seen to be believed! There is a huge room with shelves upon shelves of amazingly beautiful kerosene lamps.
https://www.lehmans.com/t-vos.aspx

I am also fascinated by other cultures,especially all things U.K.! My AF dad was stationed in England when I was a kid,and I loved it. I want to try the "Irish Country Books" series by Patrick Taylor.

I have enjoyed some romance fiction by Mormon authors,because it is clean, but not preachy at all.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-13-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm 15% in on The Innocent Sleep by Karen Perry.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm nearly finished with Murder in Little Egypt by Darcy O'Brien. I like true crime books and this is the first one I have read by this author. It's very, very good. I really enjoyed the backstory that the author so completely researched. ... The story rotates around a well respected doctor. He was also a monster. Yeah, they do walk among us. I highly recommend the book to those who like true crime books.
Strangely, I've always thought of true crime readers along the same lines as ambulance chasers and accident rubber neckers. Now that I know one I am going to definitely have to rethink my bias. Thanks.

Quote:
I enjoy "clean" [meaning no explicit sex nor full of profanity],but not overly religious/preachy romances. Want strong physical attraction between the leads and at least some knee-weakening kisses,but then close the door please,lol!
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind doesn't really sound appealing to me,and a preacher's widow,sounds like potential for religious proselytizing.

Like you however,I do love series that feature a town where you would love to live and characters you would like to have in your circle, but haven't found any clean secular ones yet,only Amish series.Tried the Mitford series,the first book was tediously boring so couldn't finish it.

Want to try Linda Lael Miller,she has series with cowboys.
I didn't realize we had SO MUCH in common, Autumn. I may have to rethink my decision to not read Amish lit. I thought it would be preachy.

Quote:
... I am also fascinated by other cultures,especially all things U.K.! My AF dad was stationed in England when I was a kid,and I loved it. I want to try the "Irish Country Books" series by Patrick Taylor.
Maeve Binchy is a great writer for you. She has no evil characters -- I think she loved every person she met when she lived. Normally I would add Alexander McCall Smith too, but I'm reading his "Corduroy Mansions" right now and it isn't all that worthy of recommendation. I do like his Isabel Dalhousie series.

I started listening to Hermann Hesse's "Steppenwolf" today, read by Peter Weller. I have a bit of a problem with Hesse's change of voice (one minute first person, then third person -- referring to himself??? -- then back to first person). Apparently he was much aggrieved that his readers didn't understand this work (from the intro), and I could tell him why! There's also the distraction of listening to Peter Weller's very distinctive voice. Perhaps I should actually READ this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books