Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 01:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Books I liked:
The Children Act by Ian McEwan
A beautifully written and concise novel. as one would expect from Ian McEwan. A juvenile court judge faces situations in both her personal and public life that must be dealt with immediately.

Norah Webster by Colm Tobin is set in late 1960's Ireland and billed as a sequel to Brooklyn. A character study, not plot driven, about a young widow determined to help her children regain a sense of normalcy while struggling to overcome her personal grief and rebuild her own life.

Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cumming. Cumming writes extremely well. His memoir is honest and some parts are depressing. His father was a cruel sadistic man, and Alan was the primary recipient of his brutality. It was an inspiring book and may help others who have endured abusive childhoods.. It is a testament to his character to have overcome such mental and physical abuse. One of the reasons I watch The Good Wife is because of this guy.

The Good House by Ann Leary. For the most part I liked this book. The first half has some funny comments, but as the narrator slips deeper into a demented state, it's very sad. Even though the second half had some repetitive scenes, I thought it a worthwhile read. Leary knows how to describe alcoholic tendencies.

Still Life by Louise Penny. I didn't find the characters that interesting. I visualized most of them overweight with all the references to food.

California by Edan Lepucki. I read this dystopian novel because Colbert and Sherman Alexie recommended. Allthough their intentions were laudable, I believe they picked this book at random without reading. The two main characters were annoying, especially the wife. The petty sniping between these two would make it impossible for them to survive in a post apolyptic world. Don't mind unlikeable characters but these two were tiresome and one action by the wife was really unbelievable. The writing wasn't that great either. I finished because I wanted to see how it ended. Word is the author plans a sequel. BTW, Hachette and Amazon have settled their contractual differences.

Reading now:
The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick.
What a wonderful book so far. Quirky characters, sad, funny and well written.
I had it on hold for awhile. I believe Mayvenne also recommended.

I'm going to start One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus recommended by my sister and several forum members.

Did not finish:
Your Face Is Mine by Jess Row. I liked the premise of this book because it takes the plastic surgery trend one step further. If you can change your face, why not your race. The beginning was good, the writing okay. It started to bog down in the middle so I stopped reading.

I started the Word Exchange by Alena Graedon a few months ago, but it didn't hold my interest enough to finish. Maybe I stopped too soon. Marlow and other reviews are good.

Been busy lately with newly adopted sibling kittens. They look like miniature black panthers.
"A Black Cat Crossing Your Path Signifies That The Animal Is Going Somewhere."
~Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I did finish~ Fearless Hope: A Novel by Serena B. Miller this was one that really had a LOT of religious proselytizing and I considered quitting reading it more than once,however I liked the story and the characters so much,and it was so well written that I just could not leave it alone,so I read until I finished at 1AM! Don't know if other non-Christians could take it or not,but I gave it 4-stars.It would have easily been 5 without all the god-talk,

Now,since I have the other 2 books in the series here, I started the second book in the Appleseed Creek Amish mystery series by Amanda flower, A Plain Scandal. Hopefully,it will be less preachy.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Books I liked:
The Children Act by Ian McEwan
A beautifully written and concise novel. as one would expect from Ian McEwan. A juvenile court judge faces situations in both her personal and public life that must be dealt with immediately.

Norah Webster by Colm Tobin is set in late 1960's Ireland and billed as a sequel to Brooklyn. A character study, not plot driven, about a young widow determined to help her children regain a sense of normalcy while struggling to overcome her personal grief and rebuild her own life.

Not My Father's Son: A Memoir by Alan Cumming. Cumming writes extremely well. His memoir is honest and some parts are depressing. His father was a cruel sadistic man, and Alan was the primary recipient of his brutality. It was an inspiring book and may help others who have endured abusive childhoods.. It is a testament to his character to have overcome such mental and physical abuse. One of the reasons I watch The Good Wife is because of this guy.

The Good House by Ann Leary. For the most part I liked this book. The first half has some funny comments, but as the narrator slips deeper into a demented state, it's very sad. Even though the second half had some repetitive scenes, I thought it a worthwhile read. Leary knows how to describe alcoholic tendencies.

Still Life by Louise Penny. I didn't find the characters that interesting. I visualized most of them overweight with all the references to food.

California by Edan Lepucki. I read this dystopian novel because Colbert and Sherman Alexie recommended. Allthough their intentions were laudable, I believe they picked this book at random without reading. The two main characters were annoying, especially the wife. The petty sniping between these two would make it impossible for them to survive in a post apolyptic world. Don't mind unlikeable characters but these two were tiresome and one action by the wife was really unbelievable. The writing wasn't that great either. I finished because I wanted to see how it ended. Word is the author plans a sequel. BTW, Hachette and Amazon have settled their contractual differences.

Reading now:
The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick.
What a wonderful book so far. Quirky characters, sad, funny and well written.
I had it on hold for awhile. I believe Mayvenne also recommended.

I'm going to start One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus recommended by my sister and several forum members.

Did not finish:
Your Face Is Mine by Jess Row. I liked the premise of this book because it takes the plastic surgery trend one step further. If you can change your face, why not your race. The beginning was good, the writing okay. It started to bog down in the middle so I stopped reading.

I started the Word Exchange by Alena Graedon a few months ago, but it didn't hold my interest enough to finish. Maybe I stopped too soon. Marlow and other reviews are good.

Been busy lately with newly adopted sibling kittens. They look like miniature black panthers.
"A Black Cat Crossing Your Path Signifies That The Animal Is Going Somewhere."
~Groucho Marx
Thank you for adding FIVE!!!!!! books to my "to read" list. You're an enabler!!!

PS. I loved One Thousand White Women.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Y'all are faster readers than me! Some of you have posted several times in the time it's taken me to get halfway thru my current book, Blood and Money -- a true crime story by Thomas Thompson. I'm enjoying this one.

The good news is that I just got a reading lamp I ordered from Amazon that clips onto the headboard, so when there's nothing on TV I'll be more inclined to read a book rather than watch something stupid because I'm too lazy to get out of bed to read.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Y'all are faster readers than me! Some of you have posted several times in the time it's taken me to get halfway thru my current book.

The good news is that I just got a reading lamp I ordered from Amazon that clips onto the headboard, so when there's nothing on TV I'll be more inclined to read a book rather than watch something stupid because I'm too lazy to get out of bed to read.
I can't speak for other high volume readers who post here but I'm retired, with no spouse, kids or grandkids, which gives me 50 or more hours of reading time that someone who is still in the workforce full time simply does not have. So we may not read any faster than you do, we just have more hours to devote to this wonderful pleasure and therefore manage to read more books.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
I am reading Gulag by Anne Applebaum. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. This book is one of the best history books I've ever read, and I read a lot of history books. The book completely sucks me in, consuming my time, but it is a depressing and sad story (a lot of history is, unfortunately), so I have to force myself to put it down and do other things. I will read other books by this author.

I have really tried reading fiction, but can't get into most of it. True books, I find, are much more interesting.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant ?” A Memoir by Roz Chast (2014).

Got it at library Friday & finished it Sat. morning (just now). 220 pgs. illustrated & written by the New Yorker magazine cartoonist, about the decline and death of her parents.
Have long enjoyed Chast's work, and this was no exception, she takes pretty depressing material and finds what humor can be had under such circumstances.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
younglisa7,that is so cool that you have been in Lehman's Hardware 35,000 sq.ft.store,it is really awesome.
That is one of the coolest stores that I have ever been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Y'all are faster readers than me! Some of you have posted several times in the time it's taken me to get halfway thru my current book, Blood and Money -- a true crime story by Thomas Thompson. I'm enjoying this one.

It also depends on the type of books we all read. My books average 350 pages or so and I don't watch any TV so reading is what I do. I have been slow lately due to our remodel

How is your reading lamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am reading Gulag by Anne Applebaum. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. This book is one of the best history books I've ever read, and I read a lot of history books. The book completely sucks me in, consuming my time, but it is a depressing and sad story (a lot of history is, unfortunately), so I have to force myself to put it down and do other things. I will read other books by this author.

I have really tried reading fiction, but can't get into most of it. True books, I find, are much more interesting.
Enjoy it. I read a lot more fiction just to "get away". I like non fiction also but I have to be in the mode for serious subjects.

I finished my Dean Koontz last night and he is a winner author for me. Up next…who knows? I need to go through my cabinet of books and make a decision.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Morning, friends. Happy Saturday.

No changes here. Just wanted to say "Hi!"

Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Morning, friends. Happy Saturday.

No changes here. Just wanted to say "Hi!"
Good Saturday Morning Mayberry,love that name BTW,I would love to find Mayberry myself somewhere in the SW away from this frigid 29 degrees and snow! Good weekend for reading, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books