Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm on page 79 of The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing and loving it so far.
Yay!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
The other problem with not having read a book in one month was that I had to go back and catch up on 14 pages of y'alls chatter and recommendations!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
I have never had the time to sit down & read the Lord Of The Rings. I have read the Hobbit years ago. I think it's way overdue.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm still reading Turn of Mind. I'm in the last third of the book, though, and I don't want it to end. It's sad and horrifying and beautifully told and electric and such a satisfying read. I'm not finished it yet (oh, how I don't want it to end!) and, still, I'll say it: I think this is even better than Still Alice. Yes, I said that.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 AM

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! I just finished Turn of Mind. What a ride. I can't recommend it enough. I really can't. Go read it. Please.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Wow! Wow, wow, wow! I just finished Turn of Mind. What a ride. I can't recommend it enough. I really can't. Go read it. Please.
Ditto! It is a great book.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 3,870 times
Gosh, at any given time I have a stack of books by my nightstand and am reading about 6-7 simultaneously. Because I read cross-genres they can be as diverse as: mysteries, thrillers, young adult (one of my favorite genres), picturebooks, sci-fi, and nonfiction (science, history, cookbooks - especially literary cooking ala Fisher...) But, the latest just finished is actually one that came out earlier this year: C. Lynn Murphy's The First Noble Truth. I thought it'd be 'chick lit' or a story of women's friendships - the latter is partially true, but it's more a saga of two very different women from different cultures and how they handle angst.

." It takes a while for one to realize that this story is actually being told from the viewpoints of two very different women: Japanese rural teacher Machiko, whose compulsion to self-injure reflects deeper traumas in her life, and that of Krista, whose life holds equally somber tones of danger and pain.

The unifying link between their experiences is suffering - and this is narrated in chapters packed with insights and impressions that are not easily solved by conventional processes of healing, recovery, and logic.

That these women will come to know each other and, through this knowledge, will find the way to healing and resolution is one of the many pathways The First Noble Truth takes in its long, winding journey to psychological and spiritual recovery.

It's a read recommended not for light leisure pursuit, but for those who seek the gems of literary brilliance in the trappings of everyday lives.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM

I keep a list of my "to read" books, otherwise I'd spend too much time reading that list, rather than a book on it. I often shuffle the order of them because what I was once so excited about reading has me less than enthralled a day or a week or a month later.

After reading a great book, it's harder to choose the next one. That's what just happened. Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind broke me -- nothing on my list "feels" like it would be as good. Here are the first 30 on my list. I guess I'll start from the top?

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
A Circle of Wives (not my type of story but she wrote Turn of Mind, so…)
The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace (memoir)
The Book of Unknown Americans
The Hundred-Year House
The Good Girl
The Children Act
The Good Luck of Right Now
Go Ask Alice (I read it when I was a kid)
Mrs. Hemingway
The Girls From Corona Del Mar
Giovanni’s Room
Remember Me Like This
Not My Father’s Son (memoir)
The Paying Guests
Fingersmith
Nora Webster
The Face on the Milk Carton (kid’s book but it sounded fascinating)
Mark Twain’s Other Woman
The Bone Clocks
Anthropology of an American Girl
Lisey’s Story
Boys and Girls Together
Kate Kerrigan trilogy -- Ellis Island, City of Hope, Land of Dreams
The Green Mile
The Underground Girls of Kabul (non-fiction)
Columbine
Sag Harbor
The Glass Room
The Fall

There are 200+ that follow...

Old 11-21-2014, 01:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

And now I'm reading Matterhorn, an epic novel set during the Vietnam War. I have no specific interest in that war itself. It was just by coincidence that the last time I went used-book shopping, I stumbled across both titles, the first by an author I love and which was literally on my list of books to read, the second not on any such list but which, when seeing the title, made me remember having read a glowing review of the book.

So I bought them both, along with several others, and decided to read them back to back.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/books/review/Junger-t.html?pagewanted=all

They are not happy reads. But they are thought-provoking, moving, and ultimately satisfying literary experiences.
Matterhorn is an excellent book. I read it a few years ago. Marlantes also wrote What it is Like to Go to War, also an excellent book on how soldiers think. Amazon.com: What It Is Like to Go to War eBook: Karl Marlantes: Books

By the way, is no one reading Revival, Stephen King's latest? I've been waiting to see what other people had to say about it.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:13 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
"Caprice"
Caprice | George Bowering | Fiction | Books | New Star Books Publisher, Vancouver British Columbia Canada, Newstarbooks, catalogue
Bought it in an earlier 1/2 Price Friday shopping spree. Only on the second chapter, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books