Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I keep a list of my "to read" books, otherwise I'd spend too much time reading that list, rather than a book on it. I often shuffle the order of them because what I was once so excited about reading has me less than enthralled a day or a week or a month later.

After reading a great book, it's harder to choose the next one. That's what just happened. Alice LaPlante's Turn of Mind broke me -- nothing on my list "feels" like it would be as good. Here are the first 30 on my list. I guess I'll start from the top?

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
A Circle of Wives (not my type of story but she wrote Turn of Mind, so…)
The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace (memoir)
The Book of Unknown Americans
The Hundred-Year House
The Good Girl
The Children Act
The Good Luck of Right Now
Go Ask Alice (I read it when I was a kid)
Mrs. Hemingway
The Girls From Corona Del Mar
Giovanni’s Room
Remember Me Like This
Not My Father’s Son (memoir)
The Paying Guests
Fingersmith
Nora Webster
The Face on the Milk Carton (kid’s book but it sounded fascinating)
Mark Twain’s Other Woman
The Bone Clocks
Anthropology of an American Girl
Lisey’s Story
Boys and Girls Together
Kate Kerrigan trilogy -- Ellis Island, City of Hope, Land of Dreams
The Green Mile
The Underground Girls of Kabul (non-fiction)
Columbine
Sag Harbor
The Glass Room
The Fall

There are 200+ that follow...

Oh no you didn't post part of your to read list. Like we don't have enough books to read, lol. I have 850 books on my to read list and it is still growing

I hear you about what to read next. We need a shuffle button for our lists, lol. I will go through my list sometimes and order some from the library. Sometimes it takes me 8 pages of books to get 6 new ones to read. It's all about my mood at the time.

I finally started Still Life…so far so good

Last edited by ylisa7; 11-22-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 14,127 times
The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

He tries to capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation…

I like it…!!!

Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I just finished Family Album by Penelope Lively. I really liked it and definitely liked it more than the first one of hers I read, Moon Tiger. This was suggested here by(?) and I agree- it was a very good read.
I think on the shallow part, I really appreciate that her books are under 300 pages. It's a very attainable goal for me.
I think her writing does draw me in, but it it's not really a light read. ( I also find the language, which is current British is sometimes does have me wondering what she is meaning).
I will definitely read more of her.
I am now finally beginning The Invention of Wings.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 832,385 times
The Stonewyke Trilogy - Michael Phillips (actually, re-reading them. hurried through them years ago trying to get to Diana Gabaldon)

Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I am reading "writing personal notes and letters " by Jennifer Williams . It is really good so far

Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I just started Cruel Doubt, a true crime story by Joe McGinniss.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I just started Cruel Doubt, a true crime story by Joe McGinniss.
I read that not too long ago and be careful cause it can get gory in some parts . I wish someone had warned me before I read it LOL ....

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished A Circle of Wives by Alice Laplante. It's her 2nd novel and follows her masterpiece Turn of Mind. I read them one right after the other. She's that good.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished A Circle of Wives by Alice Laplante. It's her 2nd novel and follows her masterpiece Turn of Mind. I read them one right after the other. She's that good.
That's the perfect word for Turn of Mind: masterpiece.

ETA: I *may* have just written an email to the author.

ETA2: And, not even 15 minutes later, I got a response from her:
Dawn: Thank you so much for your kind note. I really appreciate feedback from readers like you. My mother had Alzheimer's, so it was a work of love dedicated to her to write Turn of Mind.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-23-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's the perfect word for Turn of Mind: masterpiece.

ETA: I *may* have just written an email to the author.

ETA2: And, not even 15 minutes later, I got a response from her:
Dawn: Thank you so much for your kind note. I really appreciate feedback from readers like you. My mother had Alzheimer's, so it was a work of love dedicated to her to write Turn of Mind.
I love how you connect with authors, Dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books