Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

I started Still Life and it is going very slowly. I think it is just because can't seem to relax with all that is going on.

I am also making a pact with myself for the New Year…only I am starting early. Sadly I have slacked of on reading any classics since school…and that was decades ago My new challenge for myself is to read one classic per month.

I only have one in the house and a few on my kindle. I will start Pride and Prejudice tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I set aside Dragonfly in Amber for my library books.

I finished Full Steam Ahead by Karen Witemeyer and last night started The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks. I very much enjoyed the former and have several more of her books on my tablet. Too early into the latter for an opinion really but I'm still reading it so it must be good. Four more library books after this one.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So you made me look up this Faber dude. Totally not my kind of books... until I came to THIS one:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Skin-Mic...6880290&sr=1-2

Interestingly, it's his first novel... and you've apparently read his last.
I mean to download a sample of that one too. I found him an exceptional writer. I have been having an impossible time trying to find a book that kept my attention. I think I needed something fictional but with big metaphysical ideas and plain (in the best sense) language.

You know that Yann Martel, your crush, praised The Book of Strange New Things, dontcha? (this would be a more interesting post if I allowed it to stand as the automatic spell-checker wants to spell it - 'Ayanna Maurice'...hehehe)

And incidentally, for those interested in the Hatchette-Amazon controversy, there is an article about it in the December Vanity Fair.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

You know that Yann Martel, your crush, praised The Book of Strange New Things, dontcha? (this would be a more interesting post if I allowed it to stand as the automatic spell-checker wants to spell it - 'Ayanna Maurice'...hehehe)
You had to start THAT, didntcha? (No spell-checker on.) Sigh... Yann Martel. Sadly, I only read Life of Pi. I tried a few others of his but bailed early, just like you warned me. That didn't hamper my crush, though.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
I'm so glad that you enjoyed The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing. I hope to read more of her.

Let me ask you a Corpus Christi question about Remember Me Like This. Two actually:

1. Do the locals call it just Corpus? I saw a couple of instances of that in the book already.

2. Is this a Corpus thing? A Texas thing? A Bret Anthony Johnston thing? This particular character's little idiosyncrasy? I'm only 10% into the book and twice or three times already, a character says "Do what?" instead of "Pardon?" or "Excuse me?" when he didn't hear -- or pretends that he didn't hear -- what another character said. I've never heard that before and I'm kinda digging it.
I didn't know Remember Me Like This was set in CC. Now I'll definitely put it on my list.

1. Yes, locals call Corpus Christi "Corpus" for short, but not all the time. It's a little creepy when you stop and think about it, since "Corpus Christi" means "Body of Christ." There has been some controversy about "Corpus", actually; the mayor went on a mini-campaign to have people use the full name. But like so many other things, we're a lazy community and her effort went nowhere.

2. I've heard many people say "Do what?" or "Say what?" in place of "Pardon?" or "Excuse me?" but I don't know how local it is--CC, or Texas, or south, or southwest.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM

I just read the first couple of pages of Remember Me Like This and downloaded it to the Kindle. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I didn't know Remember Me Like This was set in CC. Now I'll definitely put it on my list.

1. Yes, locals call Corpus Christi "Corpus" for short, but not all the time. It's a little creepy when you stop and think about it, since "Corpus Christi" means "Body of Christ." There has been some controversy about "Corpus", actually; the mayor went on a mini-campaign to have people use the full name. But like so many other things, we're a lazy community and her effort went nowhere.

2. I've heard many people say "Do what?" or "Say what?" in place of "Pardon?" or "Excuse me?" but I don't know how local it is--CC, or Texas, or south, or southwest.
1. That *is* creepy! Actually, CC was mentioned but Southport is mentioned far more. I don't think Southport is an actual city (or town), though. Is it?

2. "Say what?" makes sense if you didn't hear what someone said; I actually say that sometimes. But "Do what?" made me giggle. I like it.

Quote:
I just read the first couple of pages of Remember Me Like This and downloaded it to the Kindle. Thanks for mentioning it.
YAY!!!! I'm only 15% in -- too much other stuff going on (oh, you know about that stuff... Facebook is fabulous) -- but I'm really enjoying it when I do get a chance to read.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
1. That *is* creepy! Actually, CC was mentioned but Southport is mentioned far more. I don't think Southport is an actual city (or town), though. Is it?
Yeah--Southport isn't a real town, but looks like a combination of several little towns around here. When you get off the ferry you're in Aransas Pass, but the Villa Del Sol Condos are actually in North Corpus Christi. But he definitely gets the feeling of the area right. And there really is a group that walks across the Harbor Bridge once a month--I've done it several times.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah--Southport isn't a real town, but looks like a combination of several little towns around here. When you get off the ferry you're in Aransas Pass, but the Villa Del Sol Condos are actually in North Corpus Christi. But he definitely gets the feeling of the area right. And there really is a group that walks across the Harbor Bridge once a month--I've done it several times.
The name of the condos is real? Ha! I never would have thought that.

And I love that the walk across the Harbor Bridge is true... and I love that you've done it.

I'm more glad that the rest of the story isn't first-hand knowledge, though. I know these things happen -- far too often -- but... oh god.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The name of the condos is real? Ha! I never would have thought that.

And I love that the walk across the Harbor Bridge is true... and I love that you've done it.

I'm more glad that the rest of the story isn't first-hand knowledge, though. I know these things happen -- far too often -- but... oh god.
I wonder if the the author has ever walked it with the group....

I'm sort of dreading the story, but it got great reviews and I feel somewhat obligated because of the setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books