Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

well im reading another one "when words matter most " by Robyn Freedman Spizman . It is a teaching book and I like it and I also like books that teach me something .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 03:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I just read (audio) a trio of books from Sandra Browne: Envy, Chill Factor, and Low Pressure. They were touted to me as "mystery but they fall into the fiction category with a splash of romance, splash of sex, and a little bit of whodunit. They were all pretty good, but all her books seem to have the same pattern. The strange thing is that the female protagnists in these books were dull and one dimensional, and the men had more characterization.

Now I'm listening to "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston about the origins of the Ebola virus first published in 1994. It sounds like it would be dry but I'm mesmerized by it.

Next up is a re listening to Persuasion, by Jane Austen. Somehow Jane Austen and cold dreary winters go well together.

Also, everyone has good suggestions, Im really enjoying this forum!

Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yeah--Southport isn't a real town, but looks like a combination of several little towns around here. When you get off the ferry you're in Aransas Pass, but the Villa Del Sol Condos are actually in North Corpus Christi. But he definitely gets the feeling of the area right. And there really is a group that walks across the Harbor Bridge once a month--I've done it several times.

Excuse me there is a city called southport in North Carolina

Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Excuse me there is a city called southport in North Carolina
The book that we're talking about takes place in the Corpus Christi area of Texas, though. I was asking Marlow about that. There's also a Southport in Connecticut.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,408 times
I'm reading The Amityville Horror by Anson. Totally obsessed with the Amityville stories and movie and finally found this book. So far... it's just written kind've... lamely. Can't remember the last time I read a book with so many exclamation points being used. And I'm only 40 pages in. But it does definitely show where the movie got its perspective.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
[QUOTE=DawnMTL;37405022]I'm so glad that you enjoyed The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing. I hope to read more of her.

Let me ask you a Corpus Christi question about Remember Me Like This. Two actually:

1. Do the locals call it just Corpus? I saw a couple of instances of that in the book already.

2. Is this a Corpus thing? A Texas thing? A Bret Anthony Johnston thing? This particular character's little idiosyncrasy? I'm only 10% into the book and twice or three times already, a character says "Do what?" instead of "Pardon?" or "Excuse me?" when he didn't hear -- or pretends that he didn't hear -- what another character said. I've never heard that before and I'm kinda digging it.[/quote]

I lived in Dallas for 13 years and knew many native Texans associated with the oil and gas industry. They definitely used those terms. For sure, my friends from East Texas.

Dawn, I chose a few from your list. I have The Narrow Road to the Deep North on hold. I started [i]Mrs. Hemingway[/I awhile ago, but it didn't hold my interest as did The Paris a Wife. I still have not finished The Fall but really liked The Glass Room. I put Fingersmithon my list, and I downloaded Remember Me Like Thisand The Good Girl.
I'm 20% into Ruth Ozeki's, A Tale for the Time BeingWhat I don't like are the annoying footnotes on every other page. Probably should be read in book form. Other than that, I like the book. ItS supposed to have a bit of fantasy, but haven't come to that as yet.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post

Dawn, I chose a few from your list. I have The Narrow Road to the Deep North on hold. I started [i]Mrs. Hemingway[/I awhile ago, but it didn't hold my interest as did The Paris a Wife. I still have not finished The Fall but really liked The Glass Room. I put Fingersmithon my list, and I downloaded Remember Me Like Thisand The Good Girl.
I'm 20% into Ruth Ozeki's, A Tale for the Time BeingWhat I don't like are the annoying footnotes on every other page. Probably should be read in book form. Other than that, I like the book. ItS supposed to have a bit of fantasy, but haven't come to that as yet.
I started The Narrow Road to the Deep North (and one or two of the others on my list -- the kids one, for sure), and I couldn't get into them. The Narrow Road to the Deep North was so dense with history that it lost me. It got great reviews, but history just ain't my thing.

Yeah, the footnotes scared me a bit when I read a sample of A Tale for the Time Being, but I got it anyway because I noticed that the footnotes didn't seem integral to the story so, when I'm ready to read the book, I'm not even going to attempt (or be tempted by) the footnotes.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
My Gideons Bible.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I just finished Thick As Thieves by Peter Spiegelman and it was great. I'll be getting his other three books from the library just as soon as I finish the stack I already have from them.

I've decided to give up on Cape Cod even though I am almost half way through the 650 pages. It just is not that engaging.

I'm not sure which of the following other library books will be next:

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
The Great Influenza by John M. Barry

The first three are fiction and I got the titles off some list somewhere other than here and I don't even know what the are about. The last is non-fiction about the 1918 epidemic.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:53 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I'm still reading a true crime story but went to the library to pick up a DVD and decided to get some lighter reading to spell the true crime while I was there. Unfortunately a hot flash hit and I couldn't stay in there looking so I grabbed Alibi Man by Tami Hoag because it said "#1 Best Seller" on it. Great book choosing method, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books