Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 05:46 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This book is a free kindle download today-12/2- from amazon.com. It is a very good book and I heartily recommend it.

Amazon.com: Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and Daughter Sewing a New Life in America eBook: Hanna Perlstein Marcus: Kindle Store
I had downloaded it last time it was free and agree very good book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
I downloaded it and also recommended it.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Since I really enjoyed the Cozy Mystery~ Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery #1)by Josi S. Kilpack https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...emon-tart?ac=1.

I am now getting ready to read the second book in her series ~English Trifle (Culinary Mysteries) by Josi S. Kilpack

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...sh-trifle?ac=1

Old 12-03-2014, 03:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just finished The Art of Hearing Heartbeats - meh. It wasn't bad at all, but I found myself rushing through the last 100 pages just to be done. The beginning was intriguing though....

Not sure what I'll read next.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Okay, technically, I'm not yet reading this book-because I'm in second place waiting for it be returned to/available at library.
But I'm sure I will read & enjoy it when finally I can get my hands on it, because I've read the author's other books & they were excellent:
"Being Mortal: Medicine and what matters in the end" by Atul Gawande (2014)-first found his eloquent writing in the New Yorker magazine many years back.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Okay, technically, I'm not yet reading this book-because I'm in second place waiting for it be returned to/available at library.
But I'm sure I will read & enjoy it when finally I can get my hands on it, because I've read the author's other books & they were excellent:
"Being Mortal: Medicine and what matters in the end" by Atul Gawande (2014)-first found his eloquent writing in the New Yorker magazine many years back.
I have this one on hold at the library.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:34 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. A wonderful (believe it or not) Young Adult Fiction book, narrated by Death, which will both warm and chill you, and bring both tears of joy and sorrow to your eyes.

I just read a line (snippet) that stopped me cold and sent shivers up my spine.

'Summer came.
For the book thief, everything was going nicely.
For me, the sky was the color of Jews.'

God!

Every now and then a line just reaches into the chambers of the human heart, deeper than we knew anything could, and lodges itself there. This line did that to me - and it's not just because I'm a writer... or Jewish.

Mahrie.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. A wonderful (believe it or not) Young Adult Fiction book, narrated by Death, which will both warm and chill you, and bring both tears of joy and sorrow to your eyes.

I just read a line (snippet) that stopped me cold and sent shivers up my spine.

'Summer came.
For the book thief, everything was going nicely.
For me, the sky was the color of Jews.'

God!

Every now and then a line just reaches into the chambers of the human heart, deeper than we knew anything could, and lodges itself there. This line did that to me - and it's not just because I'm a writer... or Jewish.

Mahrie.

Wow Im not jewish but I felt the same way whoa I was like okay they just put a knife in my heart is that a good way to put it ...My sister always tells me I should be a writer the way I can describe things in words she used to like to read my journal LOL ...To me my journal is very personal just like a diary only more in detail ...LOL . But yes I felt the same way when I read that line from "The Book Theif " awesome and it will tug at your heart strings ...

Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I've been in a reading slump. I have two books stated and they are just not holding my interest right now. I went to something lighter and cheerier. I just finished Welcome To Serenity by Sherryl Woods. It is a romance that takes place at Christmas time. It was a sweet story with a happy ending and only 2 pages out 400 with any sex

I think Sheryll Woods might be the cleaner type romance books some of you would enjoy

Last night I started The Taking by Dean Koontz…but that may be put on hold depending on what library books I find

Today my DH is taking me to our new local library…for the first time I haven't been to a library for books since September…it's going to be a grand day

Old 12-04-2014, 08:57 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Hi Lisa,I had also been in a reading slump,choosing to play my PC games instead.I still didn't start English Trifle last night like I was going to!

I just reserved the first and third books in the Sweet Magnolia series by Sherryl Woods.They sound good,and I enjoy series set in a community with recurring characters.But I hate stories of cheating husbands,especially when he doesn't even grovel to get back in the good graces of his ex wife,so I am skipping book 2,lol!

Hope you have a wonderfully rewarding day at the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books