Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Gone Girl, which I almost tossed. About half way through and getting good. I'll have to see it to end now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 12:25 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hi Lisa,I had also been in a reading slump,choosing to play my PC games instead.I still didn't start English Trifle last night like I was going to!

I just reserved the first and third books in the Sweet Magnolia series by Sherryl Woods.They sound good,and I enjoy series set in a community with recurring characters.But I hate stories of cheating husbands,especially when he doesn't even grovel to get back in the good graces of his ex wife,so I am skipping book 2,lol!

Hope you have a wonderfully rewarding day at the library.
Yeah I wouldn't take him back I also like the books set in small communities where you get to know the characters. It's like going home when a new story comes out

I hope you enjoy the books. Let us know. It's always nice to find a new author we like

I had to apply for a new library card and my husband was waiting in the car. To be nice I didn't go crazy at the new library, lol.

Here are the books I picked up…let me know what you thought if you read them

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
Amazon.com: NOS4A2: A Novel (9780062200587): Joe Hill: Books

Two Sisters…which is a book club book for next month:
Two Sisters: A Novel: Mary Hogan: 9780062279934: Amazon.com: Books

Above by Isla Morley
http://www.amazon.com/Above-Isla-Mor...ve+isla+morley

And Deserves To Die by Lisa Jackson
Deserves To Die (Selena Alvarez/Regan Pescoli): Lisa Jackson: 9781420118520: Amazon.com: Books

Now I have to figure out how to use their online ordering catalog

Last edited by ylisa7; 12-04-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Art of Hearing Heartbeats - meh. It wasn't bad at all, but I found myself rushing through the last 100 pages just to be done. The beginning was intriguing though....

Not sure what I'll read next.
That seems to be a recurring theme for me lately. I'm not sure why. It happened with The Innocent Sleep and Americanah.

I'm still reading Remember Me When I'm Gone but the plot has taken some ridiculous turns. I have about 20% to go and will finish it. I'm hoping that my understanding of what's going on is wrong and that peoples' actions will make sense. Harrumph.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café).

Flagg has a wonderful sense of humor and I laugh out loud from time to time reading her work. I'm realizing that her writing reminds me a lot of Maeve Binchy's (RIP) books. Both authors are humorous but they also catch the human condition and are able to get to the heart of the situation using both humor with a touch of angst. Things always work out. I like that. It's a nice change from what I usually read.

Anyone know what a scuppernong is? That's a tidbit you will learn if you read this book. heeheehee
I loved the one book of hers that I read. I should get some more

Hmm…scuppernong….now I will have to look that up, lol.

Quote:
This book is a free kindle download today-12/2- from amazon.com. It is a very good book and I heartily recommend it.

Amazon.com: Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and Daughter Sewing a New Life in America eBook: Hanna Perlstein Marcus: Kindle Store
Darn…I missed it and that is on my TR list

Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
This book is a free kindle download today-12/2- from amazon.com. It is a very good book and I heartily recommend it.

Amazon.com: Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and Daughter Sewing a New Life in America eBook: Hanna Perlstein Marcus: Kindle Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I had downloaded it last time it was free and agree very good book
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I downloaded it and also recommended it.
OK, I'll come in with a very different point of view.
I found the author/narrator so ... naive and immature that it was irritating through a lot of the book.

I'll be the first to admit that my opinions may be caused by cultural differences though.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm still reading Remember Me When I'm Gone but the plot has taken some ridiculous turns. I have about 20% to go and will finish it. I'm hoping that my understanding of what's going on is wrong and that peoples' actions will make sense. Harrumph.
Didn't I just tell you last night that that's where I just started skimming to wrap up the riddle?!? Hahaha! I should have just put you out of your misery and told you whose body was floating.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Didn't I just tell you last night that that's where I just started skimming to wrap up the riddle?!? Hahaha! I should have just put you out of your misery and told you whose body was floating.
Yes, and you were right! I just finished it and the ending was better than I thought it would be. I did like the setting and thought he captured S. Texas very well, but I still think it had some clunky and poorly thought out twists.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Finished Cruel Doubt by Joe McGinniss last night. I skimmed the last couple of chapters. It seems like all the true crime I've read is too long and needs a good editor.

I had hoped to have some DVDs to watch tonight but the library is taking their sweet time, so I'll start Alibi Man by Tami Hoag. Never read her, don't have a clue what kind of book it is.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I was ready to bail on The Girls of Corona Del Mar anyway -- I was at about the 40% mark and was bored with it; I didn't care how it would end -- but I hesitated because I hadn't decided what I wanted to tackle next. And then this happened: my "liberry" called to tell me that the book that I'd had on hold, A Circle of Wives, was ready for me to pick up. So pick it up I did. It's a story that I'd typically steer clear of -- just not my cup of tea -- but it was written by Alice LaPlante, on whom I have a girl-crush. She's the one who wrote Turn of Mind, which I read recently and LOVED with my whole heart. I'll start it later or tomorrow... I'm just happy to have it in my grubby paws.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:33 PM

Went to my "liberry" at lunch and did 5 random grabs, 3 from the new books table and 2 from the shelves:

Away by Amy Bloom

The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman

A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain by Adrianne Harun

Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet

A Cry From the Dust by Carrie Stuart Parks

Even though A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain was a paperback on the shelf, apparently it just came out this year.

Dawn, I saw The Girls of Corona Del Mar but left it on the table.

"Nothing better than a stack of books to start the weekend," said the middle-aged homebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books