Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 04:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times

Advertisements

Ha! I am vindicated! Sort of.

Entertainment Weekly rated Station Eleven as the #1 best book of 2014, and I had recommended it here on CD (but in the Entertainment - TV-Walking Dead thread instead of in Books, as I thought deadies might like it.) Actually, I enjoyed it a lot but didn't think it was a Best Book contender.

However, they put All the Light We Cannot See at number five, and as we know, I disliked it. And thud, no surprises, it's going to be made into a movie. O Tediousness!!!

And I know I recommended Euphoria here. EW selected it for #9 in their list of top ten. Now THAT'S the book that should be made into a movie.

Happy reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I started reading A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante. I just finished the first chapter. Early days yet, but I had to report in: While her Turn of Mind was -- as Ketabcha put it -- a masterpiece, full of sadness and feelings and heartache, A Circle of Wives reads almost like chick-lit, which I detest. Yet, somehow I'm liking it. A lot. Alice LaPlante just writes that well. Amazing.

Marlow and netwit: I urge you both to read Turn of Mind. I somehow remember that you, Marlow, take issue with reading a book that deals with Alzheimers, but both my paternal grandparents had it and, still, I found the book easy to read. No, it's not an easy read, but LaPlante handled it that beautifully. It was an homage to her mother, she told me. (Yeah, in case you didn't read that post, I emailed her. I can't help myself sometimes.)

Okay, enough writing. I'm going to read more of A Circle of Wives before I fall asleep.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Yes, Dawn. Still Alice depressed me tremendously and made me think I had early-onset Alzheimer's every time I couldn't remember something, which is often. Also, my mom had dementia and it was awful. Still, if you recommend it, I'll put it on my TBR list and look at it sometime.

I started A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain and it has really grabbed me. Spooky, set in the woods of British Columbia, nice writing.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I am currently in the middle of an ebook on kindle about different ways to bind a quilt without mitered corners.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes, Dawn. Still Alice depressed me tremendously and made me think I had early-onset Alzheimer's every time I couldn't remember something, which is often. Also, my mom had dementia and it was awful. Still, if you recommend it, I'll put it on my TBR list and look at it sometime.

I started A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain and it has really grabbed me. Spooky, set in the woods of British Columbia, nice writing.
I need to stop coming her. Really. I just got A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain. What is WRONG with me????

Old 12-06-2014, 04:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Hi my name is Lisa and I'm a bookaholic, lol.

Dawn…BTW, thank you for your cousin's wife's link. I am going to make some of her body scrubs and lotions

OK…back to books. I will have to look up some of the ones all of you posted of course

I am about 20% into NOS4A2 right now and it is very good. It's kind of a horror, fantasy, thriller. There is a bad man who takes children to a place called Christmasland where children never come back from.

Appropriate for Christmas time

Here is one of the quotes from the book:
"She told me about Charlie Manx. She warned me about him. She said there was a man, a bad man with a bad car. He used his car to suck the life out of children. He was a kind of vampire - a road vampire."

Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Quote:
I've been in a reading slump. I have two books stated and they are just not holding my interest right now. I went to something lighter and cheerier. I just finished Welcome To Serenity by Sherryl Woods. It is a romance that takes place at Christmas time. It was a sweet story with a happy ending and only 2 pages out 400 with any sex

I think Sheryll Woods might be the cleaner type romance books some of you would enjoy
Lisa,I have to tell you THANK YOU,for leading me to a new author!

I believe that I have mentioned before that I have a weakness for cowboys in my romances,and while browsing through the books that Sherryl Woods has written,I found some rancher romances and was able to get ~Do You Take This Rebel? (The Calamity Janes, Book 1) by Sherryl Woods immediately for my Kindle from the library,and started reading it yesterday,and I love it!
There are I believe 3 more books in the series,then there are two 'Whispering Winds' books~ After Tex and Angel Mine,that my library has all of them for the Kindle.

Needless to say the cozy mystery 'English Trifle' has been temporarily put on hold,LOL! WHOOOO-HOO

Old 12-06-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Dawn…BTW, thank you for your cousin's wife's link. I am going to make some of her body scrubs and lotions

Wait, what? The crockpot prep link has "recipes" for body scrubs and lotions too? I really should pay more attention to stuff. (Like writing "her" instead of "here" in my most recent post on this page. I'm an EDITOR "in real life." I'm using "I was really tired" as my excuse. )

Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Lisa,I have to tell you THANK YOU,for leading me to a new author!
Yay…I am so happy for you. Isn't it great when we find a new author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Wait, what? The crockpot prep link has "recipes" for body scrubs and lotions too? I really should pay more attention to stuff. (Like writing "her" instead of "here" in my most recent post on this page. I'm an EDITOR "in real life." I'm using "I was really tired" as my excuse. )
Ha, ha…yes she does. Tell her thank you when you talk with her

Good excuse…lives can be very busy

Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Ha, ha…yes she does. Tell her thank you when you talk with her

Good excuse…lives can be very busy
Oy. I'm so bad -- I didn't look at it closely at all. It's not "her" link -- she just found it; that stuff wasn't her idea or doing. She is terrific, though, I'll give her that. And I'll tell her that you thank her for finding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books