Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 03:47 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times

Advertisements

I just finished Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. It is non-fiction about the Cult of Scientology. The leader, David Miscavige, is one evil bastard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:10 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Having enjoyed Thick As Thieves by Peter Spiegelman I picked up two more by him from the liberry - Black Maps and Death's Little Helpers. I also put one other by him on order from another branch. I have several other books that are newish and on 14 day rotation that I just did not get around to and will return tomorrow because.....

Reading had to take second place for a bit because on my last run to Costco I picked up the boxed edition of The West Wing to give as a gift. After getting home I checked the Amazon website and there were a number of reviews of this set that said there were duplicated discs and lots of non-playable ones so I figured I'd best watch all 7 seasons to check them out just in case. What a marathon - it was all good and so will soon get passed on to my friends. I'm videod out and very ready to spend more time reading, reading and then some more reading. Fortunately the stack beside my bed has about 25 books awaiting. (not to mention the 170 or so on the Kindle)

Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I just finished the Invention of Wings which was so highly recommended.
It was an easy read (lately this criteria is very important to me for whatever reason..) and a very interesting story which I did not know until the end was actually based on true people and events. My criticism with it was that I thought some things were a bit far fetched and too predictable in a way for a story line but then finding out much of the parts I thought were really pushing it, were actually based on actual events, well....
Anyway I would recommend it but I don't know that I agree with the folks who told me they adored it and didn't want it to end.
All in all a worthwhile book.
Next up for my book club is Age of Innocence. (Wharton) so wish me luck.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just finished the Invention of Wings which was so highly recommended.
It was an easy read (lately this criteria is very important to me for whatever reason..) and a very interesting story which I did not know until the end was actually based on true people and events. My criticism with it was that I thought some things were a bit far fetched and too predictable in a way for a story line but then finding out much of the parts I thought were really pushing it, were actually based on actual events, well....
Anyway I would recommend it but I don't know that I agree with the folks who told me they adored it and didn't want it to end.
All in all a worthwhile book.
Next up for my book club is Age of Innocence. (Wharton) so wish me luck.
I bought the The Works of Edith Wharton. Previously, I read and very much enjoyed, The House of Mirth and Glimpses of the Moon. I should read The Age of Innocence.

I wasn't that impressed with either Secret Life of Bees or The Invention of Wings.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm more than half way through A Circle of Wives and LOVING it. Yeah, I'm curious to know "whodunnit" but I'm mostly just enjoying Alice LaPlante's writing. It's told in alternating chapters by the three wives and the detective, and I'm loving how each woman has such a distinct "voice."

Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm almost finished with The Man Who Came Out of a Door in the Mountain and I can't say enough good things about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Came-Out-D.../dp/0670786101

One reviewer compared the author, Adrianne Harun, to Louise Erdrich and Harry Crews (I don't know who he is) and I've thought of Stephen King, Sherman Alexie and Ray Bradbury while I've been reading it. The story is dark, mesmerizing and heartbreaking and I have no idea how it's going to end. I'm thrilled that I randomly plucked this book off the shelf it's turned out to be such a good read.

Last edited by Marlow; 12-08-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Just finished Gone Girl. I should have tossed it way back but it sort of became interesting.

One of the worst books ever, despised the lead character, sick and twisted.
Absolutely hated the ending.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State. It has been quite interesting so far.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State. It has been quite interesting so far.

I bet that is a great book,reserving it today!

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm almost finished with The Man Who Came Out of a Door in the Mountain and I can't say enough good things about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Came-Out-D.../dp/0670786101

One reviewer compared the author, Adrianne Harun, to Louise Erdrich and Harry Crews (I don't know who he is) and I've thought of Stephen King, Sherman Alexie and Ray Bradbury while I've been reading it. The story is dark, mesmerizing and heartbreaking and I have no idea how it's going to end. I'm thrilled that I randomly plucked this book off the shelf it's turned out to be such a good read.
I got the name of the book wrong; it's A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain. I finished it and highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books