Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 01:27 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,484 times

Advertisements

I'm on the last chapter of The GoldFinch. I have enjoyed the read though it's taken me quite a while to get through it (just haven't devoted a lot of time to reading lately; my bad). Donna Tartt's writing is completely captivating. This is the first time I've read anything by her, but I will be looking for more later. I find myself rereading lines and even entire pages over, just to fully feel what she is conveying, which is often more than the words on that page merely state. She has an intriguing combo-style that at times is disciplined and well structured, and at other times her prose is stream of thought and abstract. I don't think many writers could get away with combining those two style as well as she does, and have it work so well.

As for the story or plot itself, it seemed more promising in the beginning than it ultimately turned out to be, although I like how she has thrown in a few curve balls here at the end. Still, I've often wondered while reading this long book why in heck I even like it at all. Truth be told, I became vested in the well being of its main character, Theo Decker. I care about him as much as I would a person I have come to know, say, on social media. He has been fully fleshed out by his creator. All the characters feel so real, so true to life, flawed but redeemable, and lovable even. Kind of feels like my own family, in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I got the name of the book wrong; it's A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain. I finished it and highly recommend it.
You got me all excited. I'm on the last pages of A Circle of Wives and I think that your A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain might very well be my next read.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You got me all excited. I'm on the last pages of A Circle of Wives and I think that your A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain might very well be my next read.
I hope I haven't oversold it, but I really did like it. I put your book on my list as well, but I have these other library books to look at for now.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
Blood Sisters, Sarah Gristwood

Old 12-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I hope I haven't oversold it, but I really did like it. I put your book on my list as well, but I have these other library books to look at for now.
A Circle of Wives was enjoyable. I just finished it. However, I'm not thrilled with the Columbo-esque ending. Not the ending, per se, but how the ending was written, like an episode of Columbo. But everything leading up to that was a fun ride.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:59 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Finished the first book "Do You Take This Rebel" in the 5-book-The Calamity Janes series by Sherryl Woods and loved it. Cole is a hero "to die for". I really liked both him and the heroine Cassie. There is one sex scene.

I just downloaded the second book for my Kindle from the library..."Courting The Enemy". Love that The Calamity Janes are die-hard loyal friends since girlhood,and that each book focuses on one of the women,but also includes her chums,and the community of
Winding River,Wyoming.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM

I couldn't keep track of everyone in A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain so, obviously, this is not the right time for me and this book to enter into a relationship.

I'm going to start The Children Act by Ian McEwan, after tossing a coin between that and The Book of Unknown Americans.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 AM

UGH! Every time I've read (or tried to read) an Ian McEwan book, I'm reminded about how fussy he writes. I get lost (and not in a good way) in his sentences, and have to re-read so many of them to get what he's trying to say. LESS IS MORE, IAN! Stop being so FUSSY! Ahem. All that to say that I've given up on The Children Act. It's too bad -- I wanted to know what happened to the main character, the judge -- but I just can't go on.

Meanwhile, and although so many others on my "to read" list came first, Plainsong is calling out to me. So I'll start on that tonight.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Dawn, I'm sorry you didn't like The Children Act. I'm definitely a McEwan fan. Late last night I started The Bees,a debut novel by Laline Paull. Initially, I put off reading this book. After all, it's about insects. I'm 1/3 through, I've forgotten it's about insects. If it continues in the same vein, it might make my top ten 2014 favorite books. It does for bees, what Animal Farmdid for animals. Young adults may like this book.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Dawn, I'm sorry you didn't like The Children Act. I'm definitely a McEwan fan. Late last night I started The Bees,a debut novel by Laline Paull. Initially, I put off reading this book. After all, it's about insects. I'm 1/3 through, I've forgotten it's about insects. If it continues in the same vein, it might make my top ten 2014 favorite books. It does for bees, what Animal Farmdid for animals. Young adults may like this book.
It's not your fault at all. It's Ian McEwan's fault!!! The story sounded great. I'd just forgotten that McEwan's writing makes me crazy. I have other recommendations from you on my "to read" list and I know that I'll enjoy them, just like I've enjoyed other recs of yours.

I've heard that The Bees is terrific. I can't suspend (my) reality enough to read it, but I'm glad that you're enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books