Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
 
6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Reputation: 21735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, so, I haven't even read a dozen pages yet of Plainsong and I'M IN LOVE! If all of his books are anything like the first 10 pages of this one, sigh..., I'm a happy girl.
I love and adore Kent Haruf's writing, too, and am so sorry that he has left us. His final book will be published in June - Our Souls at Night. I've already pre-ordered it.

BTW, I just got back from a trip. Was browsing in a little bookstore (in Galena, IL - a fun place to visit) and came across The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I had read it when it first came out - in fact, I've since read every book in the Flavia de Luce series he has published, but I went ahead and bought this copy to add to my at home library of books I love. I SO recommend this series to all who haven't read them yet. If you enjoy gentle humorous mysteries, intelligent children protagonists, and/or England post WWII you'll appreciate these.

Oh wow - weird. I just went back and read the posts above this and saw that lilylilylily had nabbed one of Bradley's books and was about to read it. Hope you enjoyed it, Lily!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I love and adore Kent Haruf's writing, too, and am so sorry that he has left us. His final book will be published in June - Our Souls at Night. I've already pre-ordered it.
I just discovered, yesterday, that he has another coming out in June 2015. I haven't even finished Plainsong, I want to read all of his others too (which I will!!!), and yet I'm still chomping at the bit for June to come around sooner.

Every page of Plainsong that I read, the more and more I fall in love. I'm reading it very slowly. I'm constantly putting it aside to do something else. All because I don't want it to end. Even though I have all of his other books waiting to be read, I still don't want this one to end. I'm not even halfway through Plainsong yet, that's how much I'm milking it.

601half... If you've never read Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner, I beg you to do so. It's also one of those "quiet" stories, as I like to call them, and I think it's probably my favorite book of all times. I read it just a few years ago -- I was late to find it -- and I think about it very often. It just... spoke to me. As I've said about it, it revolves around two couples, and I think that anyone who reads it will identify strongly with one of the characters; that anyone who reads it SEES THEMSELVES in one of the characters. I surely did, in a huge way. I tried to read some of Stegner's other work. One was good and I couldn't get through any of the others. But Crossing to Safety... sigh... wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
 
9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Reputation: 14039
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
BTW, I just got back from a trip. Was browsing in a little bookstore (in Galena, IL - a fun place to visit) and came across The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I had read it when it first came out - in fact, I've since read every book in the Flavia de Luce series he has published, but I went ahead and bought this copy to add to my at home library of books I love. I SO recommend this series to all who haven't read them yet. If you enjoy gentle humorous mysteries, intelligent children protagonists, and/or England post WWII you'll appreciate these.

Oh wow - weird. I just went back and read the posts above this and saw that lilylilylily had nabbed one of Bradley's books and was about to read it. Hope you enjoyed it, Lily!
I didn't realize it was a series and just grabbed The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. Are these best read in order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 PM
 
9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Reputation: 14526
A very important, significant book......

The Good Chinese Wife......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
A very important, significant book......

The Good Chinese Wife......
Oh my, I just spent some time reading about the author. What a story she has to tell.
I bought the book. Thank you so much for mentioning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Reputation: 3986
Currently reading "Rant" by Chuck Palahniuk. Great novel.

Besides that, "North Korea: State of Paranoia" (Paul French) and "An introduction to Islamic Law" (Wael Hallaq). The former a great in depth analysis of one of the most wicked countries on earth, the latter a great introduction to a topic I'm barely familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:00 AM
 
6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Reputation: 21735
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I didn't realize it was a series and just grabbed The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. Are these best read in order?
Yes, most definitely! Because the characters develop over time and the overall storyline is continuing, even though each book has a unique mystery for Flavia to solve. Start with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Hope you enjoy it.

And thanks Dawn for the Stegner suggestion - I've put in on my library request list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM
 
6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Reputation: 21735
Oh, BTW- for those who enjoyed Haruf and also McMurtry and Strout, have you read Jon Hassler? He was one of Minnesota's most well loved writers, and writes in a similar vein to those authors above. Sadly he also passed away recently. He is most known for the Staggerford series. He gets compared with Sinclair Lewis a lot, since their books are set in the same region. Start with Staggerford. (4.6 stars on Amazon, 3.9 stars on Goodreads). I have loved almost every one of his books and have most of them in my "Books I Love" bookshelves. Simple, pure writing about real people. Maybe less heavy than Haruf or Strout and definitely less heavy than Lewis! Some humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, BTW- for those who enjoyed Haruf and also McMurtry and Strout, have you read Jon Hassler? He was one of Minnesota's most well loved writers, and writes in a similar vein to those authors above. Sadly he also passed away recently. He is most known for the Staggerford series. He gets compared with Sinclair Lewis a lot, since their books are set in the same region. Start with Staggerford. (4.6 stars on Amazon, 3.9 stars on Goodreads). I have loved almost every one of his books and have most of them in my "Books I Love" bookshelves. Simple, pure writing about real people. Maybe less heavy than Haruf or Strout and definitely less heavy than Lewis! Some humor.
I never heard of him either!

I just got the first in the series, the one just titled Staggerford. Because my "to read" list wasn't long enough already. Thank you???? No, really, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
I just finished Plainsong. Sigh... It was lovely. I'm going to start the sequel, Eventide, next. And then I'll take a little break from this author (Kent Haruf) before I dive into his others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top