Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished Plainsong. Sigh... It was lovely. I'm going to start the sequel, Eventide, next. And then I'll take a little break from this author (Kent Haruf) before I dive into his others.
I'm starting Eventide, too, Dawn.
I was born in a smallish east Texas town. Holt, Colorado reminds me of that town. Yeah, I feel like I know those people and also some of the animals.

I'm ready for a further look into the citizens of Holt. What a delight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm starting Eventide, too, Dawn.
I was born in a smallish east Texas town. Holt, Colorado reminds me of that town. Yeah, I feel like I know those people and also some of the animals.

I'm ready for a further look into the citizens of Holt. What a delight.
How many books did you read between Plainsong and Eventide? You're very lucky to be retired and have all that reading time.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
How many books did you read between Plainsong and Eventide? You're very lucky to be retired and have all that reading time.

Just one. I have a list of "stuff" that I have to take care of before the new year and I finally started working it. Yeah, I procrastinate from time to time.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 12-12-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 PM

I finished Eventide. I'm nearly finished with the third in the series: Benediction.

I just realized who Kent Haruf reminds me of. Thorton Wilder. These three lovely books are so much like Wilder's play, Our Town.

I don't know if many of you have watched the miniseries The Way West. Spencer Tracy is the narrator. It begins in the days of the US frontier and the expansion west. It ends much later in modern times. We follow the characters and their offspring through this time. What really gets to me is in the final scenes where cars are being shown speeding along on high, multilevel highways. It's so sad to me. Everything is over. I'm always left with the question "What am I going to do now that this is over and the credits are running?"

I feel the same way about this three book series by Kent Haruf. What on earth is going to compete with these books? "Our Town" does the same thing to me.

It's the grace of the books and the writer. I suppose "grace" is appropriate following Plainsong, Eventide and Benediction. What am I going to read now that could even begin to come close to this trilogy?

Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I finished Eventide. I'm nearly finished with the third in the series: Benediction.
Wait, what? I have Benediction, I know it's set in Holt too, but I didn't realize that it was a sequel to the sequel. Are any of the same characters from Plainsong and Eventide in this one too?

I'm not even halfway through Eventide yet. I'll probably need to take a break (and read something else, by someone else) before I start yet a THIRD (in a row!) by Haruf.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Wait, what? I have Benediction, I know it's set in Holt too, but I didn't realize that it was a sequel to the sequel. Are any of the same characters from Plainsong and Eventide in this one too?

I'm not even halfway through Eventide yet. I'll probably need to take a break (and read something else, by someone else) before I start yet a THIRD (in a row!) by Haruf.
It's a new set of folks in Holt. However, we learn in snippets of conversation what happened with some of the main characters in the first two books. That did disappoint me because I was prepared to follow them forever.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 12-13-2014 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
It's a new set of folks in Holt. However, we learn in snippets of conversation what happened with the main characters in the first two books. That did disappoint me because I was prepared to follow them forever.
Awwwww!

Well... I might have to read a third in a row in that case.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 AM

108 posts, read 114,509 times
I have just finished Dan Brown's Inferno. That's a very thrilling book very unlike ' The Lost Symbol" that was so boring that I didn't complete the book. Inferno is way better book replete with symbolism , art and introduction to history and different cultures.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Oh my,after really loving the cowboy romance "Do You Take This Rebel" by Sherryl Woods,I tried the second book of The Calamity Janes series, but could not finish it,so then tried the first book in the Sweet Magnolia series and hated that one with a passion,because it's a sympathetic book all about the cheating dog husband and his pregnant mistress...how's that for GAG material!

I detest romances that are full of drama,ANGST/threat or one book-length misunderstanding,and this book was all about[up to the 44% I got anyway] how hard the oldest son's hard-feelings were on the low-life father and his w----!

Starting with book 4 the series does sound better so I have reserved the PB version as the Kindle version was not available at my library. Will let you know if the series is redeemed,lol!

I was totally delighted with another cowboy romance by another new to me author~The Wyoming Cowboy (Daddy Dude Ranch #1)by Rebecca Winters

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...wyoming-cowboy

OMG,'FINALLY' a sweet,feel-good romance!

I can't recommend this one highly enough!

Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
I don't know if many of you have watched the miniseries The Way West. Spencer Tracy is the narrator. It begins in the days of the US frontier and the expansion west. It ends much later in modern times. We follow the characters and their offspring through this time. What really gets to me is in the final scenes where cars are being shown speeding along on high, multilevel highways.
I thought that was the movie How the West was Won? Which I will watch over and over and over
("A short epilogue shows modern Los Angeles and San Francisco in the early 1960s, including the famous four-level downtown freeway interchange and Golden Gate Bridge, indicating the growth of the West in 80 years."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books