Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 01:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I thought that was the movie How the West was Won? Which I will watch over and over and over
("A short epilogue shows modern Los Angeles and San Francisco in the early 1960s, including the famous four-level downtown freeway interchange and Golden Gate Bridge, indicating the growth of the West in 80 years."
You are absolutely right, Gandalara. For some reason I get those two titles confused. I have both of them on DVD. The Way West is good, too. Kirk Douglas is a meanie in it. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 01:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I was almost halfway through Eventide, but I had to take a break from it. I knew that I shouldn't have tried to read it back to back with Plainsong. Adding to my setting myself up for failure, I've started reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, which will surely depress the hell out of me. I promise NOT to read that back to back with his other one that I have, Complications.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 PM

Forget everything that I said a few hours ago. Rewind. Erase it from your mind. Poof!

I'm reading Life Drawing by Robin Black.

Life Drawing: A Novel - Kindle edition by Robin Black. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I started A Wolf Called Romeo but ended up reading all I wanted to know about it online. If you're interested in wolves, Alaska, or animal stories in general, you might like it. Or, you can google "Romeo Juneau" and get the Cliff's notes version.

I moved on to A Man Called Ove but the jury is still out on it.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:05 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh my, I just spent some time reading about the author. What a story she has to tell.
I bought the book. Thank you so much for mentioning it.
It's going to be a tough read .......
The story really hits home with me

Old 12-13-2014, 08:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was almost halfway through Eventide, but I had to take a break from it. I knew that I shouldn't have tried to read it back to back with Plainsong. Adding to my setting myself up for failure, I've started reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, which will surely depress the hell out of me. I promise NOT to read that back to back with his other one that I have, Complications.
Being Mortal is on my TBR list. I am an Atul Gawande groupie! Complications is my favorite of his books, but Better was good as well (though not Better...).

Old 12-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Being Mortal is on my TBR list. I am an Atul Gawande groupie! Complications is my favorite of his books, but Better was good as well (though not Better...).
I had to put Being Mortal aside for now. As suspected, it depressed me. My Dad died in May so it's obviously too soon for me to read about mortality. I thought he'd live forever. I'm likely to read Complications , as long as it's not too gory -- I'm VERY squeamish! -- before I feel ready to hit Being Mortal again.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I had to put Being Mortal aside for now. As suspected, it depressed me. My Dad died in May so it's obviously too soon for me to read about mortality. I thought he'd live forever. I'm likely to read Complications , as long as it's not too gory -- I'm VERY squeamish! -- before I feel ready to hit Being Mortal again.
I know what you mean - sometimes it just isn't the right time. I'm in the medical field and first learned of Gawande when he wrote "The Bell Curve", a compelling article about quality in medicine for The New Yorker. He specifically addressed the work that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has done to make outcomes more transparent so patients and families can make informed choices about where to get their care. When looking at quality as a "bell curve", Gawande cautions healthcare providers about never settling for the "vast, undistinguished middle". That has always stuck with me.

Dawn, you'll smile at this... I finally worked my way through my list to get to Crow Lake. I'm only on page 19, but am totally engrossed!

Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I know what you mean - sometimes it just isn't the right time. I'm in the medical field and first learned of Gawande when he wrote "The Bell Curve", a compelling article about quality in medicine for The New Yorker. He specifically addressed the work that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has done to make outcomes more transparent so patients and families can make informed choices about where to get their care. When looking at quality as a "bell curve", Gawande cautions healthcare providers about never settling for the "vast, undistinguished middle". That has always stuck with me.

Dawn, you'll smile at this... I finally worked my way through my list to get to Crow Lake. I'm only on page 19, but am totally engrossed!
From what I read of Being Mortal -- maybe the first 15% or so? -- I could tell that he is ridiculously intelligent. From what you said here, he reminds me of Sanjay Gupta -- a medical doctor, yes, for sure, but has his hands in many other pots, using that medical knowledge to increase everyone else's knowledge. You picked a great person to be a groupie for!

YAY!!! Crow Lake. I loved that book! Don't read her others -- they won't match up (in fact, they go from mediocre to plain old feh) -- but Crow Lake, which was her FIRST novel, shines! YAY!!! Enjoy!!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:14 AM

983 posts, read 994,643 times
I'm just starting "This Life Is In Your Hands" about a back-to-the-land couple of the 70s that tries homesteading in Maine and ends in tradegy. I have a feeling it will lead to interesting discussions in the Self-Sufficiency forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books