Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle
I did enjoy the book about a Mexican couple who crossed illegally into So California and the couple who lived in the development near where this Mexican couple set up camp in the woods.

The ending was one of the most disappointing endings in a book ever.
Huh. I don't remember the ending. Actually, I don't remember much about the story at all but I do remember that I *loved* it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Dawn - I'm so happy! I hope you like it just as much as my Dad, my son and I did! It is one of those books that is stuck in my heart!
I just finished the second chapter, where he meets his cellmate. Love, love, LOVE! I mean, of course there's a terrible, dark side to all of this, but I'm really digging the way he tells a story. (And I still cannot get over the intro. I adore his grandparents, just from those few pages.)

ETA as I'm a few pages into the third chapter: And amid the darkness, so many -- SO MANY! -- clever, funny lines of dialogue.

ETA2: I promise not to report in after every chapter. I'm going to read now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
How is it possible that I'd never heard of Shirley Hazzard before? I'm into her "The Great Fire", and it is easily the best book I've read this year, on my short list of best books ever. It's not a long book, but itwill take me a while -- I keep re-reading sentences, then sitting back with my eyes shut and savoring them, until the goose bumps recede.

I recently tried Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy" and Mysliwski's "Stone Upon Stone", just couldn't bear either of them. For comletely different reasons.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
I heard Wendell Berry speak at a conference and fell in madly love with him (he's 80+). He writes poetry, NF and fiction. So, I got a batch of his non-fiction works (his non-fiction centers around the tragedy that has happened to American farming post WWII with the devolution from family farms to corporate mega-agribusiness) and a fictional work: Jaber Crow. Oh, SO good. I dog-earred multiple pages then forgot to un-dog-ear the book before I took it back to the library. Oops! For those who like stories strong on Setting and Character (Kent Haruf lovers) try Wendell Berry, if you haven't yet. I seem to remember having read his Hannah Coulter long ago. His fictional books are set in a specific fictionalized place in Kentucky (Port William) and his characters appear in several different books, I think. I wish I were a better non-fiction reader - I want to read each one of the NF batch I got, but it's all so depressing . . . (not his books; the state of American agriculture.)

Old 12-20-2014, 05:22 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,587 times
Since Christmas is only few days away, I'd read this just to get into the spirit properly.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I just finished The Snow Child. What a sweet story based on a fairytale about an old childless couple who end up with a snow child in the Alaskan wilderness during the 1920's. I loved it. Easy 4 out of 5 but now one of my favorites.

Next up Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:57 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
well so far the book "Dreamers of the day " is good I hope it does not die out like many of the books I have read here lately . it is by Mary Doria Russell . This is the same lady who wrote "Doc" which was an excellent book and I really enjoyed it .

Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
That was fast -- for me, at least. I finished City of Thieves. To say that I loved it would be an understatement. I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That was fast -- for me, at least. I finished City of Thieves. To say that I loved it would be an understatement. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks Dawn. I just placed a hold at my library.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
. I finished City of Thieves. To say that I loved it would be an understatement. I'll leave it at that.
Thanks from me, too. It's on the shelf at my library waiting for me

Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Another thread had lists of classics, and reading through them I realized I have never read Charlotte's Web. So I have that on hold at the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books