Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 11:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,049,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I started Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante and I like it. (Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn!) It's solidly written and entertaining, but I did notice one thing about it that I thought was very strange. One of the minor character's name changes from one page to the next. She's "Joyce" a couple of times and then the next time she's mentioned she's "Cecilia." I know nothing about how editing a book works, but it befuddles me that something could make it to print with such an error. Oh well--I'm going to keep reading it.

And yes on the "no judgment." One of the reasons I love this thread is that it's a great source of ideas for reading but no one takes it personally if you do or don't like a particular book. I admit to wanting to stomp my foot every now and again and demand that everyone read whatever my favorite book of the moment is, but I refrain. And something that I find truly fascinating is agreeing with someone about how great a particular book is and then completely disagreeing on another book. It keeps things interesting.

yes it sure does and one book comes to my mind really quick and that is mrs kimble .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,987,281 times
Quote:
I started Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante and I like it. (Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn!) It's solidly written and entertaining, but I did notice one thing about it that I thought was very strange. One of the minor character's name changes from one page to the next. She's "Joyce" a couple of times and then the next time she's mentioned she's "Cecilia." I know nothing about how editing a book works, but it befuddles me that something could make it to print with such an error. Oh well--I'm going to keep reading it.
I don't even remember those characters' names! I wonder if you got an older version of the book? I *think* I would have noticed that goof. Hmmm.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,345,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
OMG, I know who you're talking about! Chris Roberts, or something like that??? And he sometimes writes his reviews in the form of a sarcastic poem? Hahaha! What an idiot he is! Awful. He's on a mission -- if a book is highly acclaimed, he'll bash it to the moon and back. I'm 100% sure he hasn't read any of them..
Funny...I was looking at the 1 star reviews on a book today and saw he had reviewed it. I had to come back here and double check that it was him as I saw his other reviews had poems. What a doofus! (him, not me!)

Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,683,561 times
Quote:
I don't even remember those characters' names! I wonder if you got an older version of the book? I *think* I would have noticed that goof. Hmmm.
It was just a memory Deborah had about an encounter with a neighbor. Very minor, but it did catch my attention.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
It was just a memory Deborah had about an encounter with a neighbor. Very minor, but it did catch my attention.
Good thing that I'm only an editor for work and not for leisure, huh?

Meanwhile, if there's a hyphen missing or something is spelled incorrectly in a novel, I'm all up in arms. But swapping out character names? I miss that completely!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:05 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,322,336 times
New Orleans Beat, the fourth book in the Skip Langdon mysteries.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,472,542 times
My book holds aren't coming in at the library! Grrrr! So I have nothing to read and nothing on TV at all. I found a stash of old paperbacks. Discarded the first 4 as unreadable, and am now trying The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 PM

983 posts, read 993,415 times
For fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, I;m reading "Pioneer Girl", her annotated autobiography. It was put together by the South Dakota Historical Society. It's the original manuscript, before any of the familiar "Little House" series books were written.

It's really fascinating, but very slow going. There are sidenotes that note every edit from different publishers, relatives, time periods, births, deaths. For every person the Ingalls come into contact with on their travels, there will be a side note starting..."According to the 1870 census, there is a record of 'Somebody' Anderson."

The introduction shows a fascinating account of how Wilder and her daughter Rose Wilder Lane put the book together and shopped it around, all done before pcs and Microsoft Word.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 PM

I'm not reading anything right now. City of Thieves broke me for a little while. That happens, sometimes, after I've read something truly excellent. Other books don't tickle my fancy. I'm blaming you, pinetreelover, but in a really good way.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:45 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,345,343 times
Quote:
I'm not reading anything right now. City of Thieves broke me for a little while. That happens, sometimes, after I've read something truly excellent. Other books don't tickle my fancy. I'm blaming you, pinetreelover, but in a really good way.
I went and got A Circle of Wives from the library last night (no ebook version of it). Just put a hold request on it yesterday and boom it was there for me. Then, based on the above comment, I decided to see if the library had the book of City of Thieves this morning. They did and it was available. So now I need the power to go out so I can read as I have 3-1/3 library books I want to be reading right now instead of working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books