Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 08:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well did any of you get books for Christmas ? or gift cards to book stores ? Im just curious . Im reading the quilt walk and it is rather good . I was really thinking about leaving the cd forum altogether I have hit such rudeness lately . Oh well nature of the beast I guess .,

I got a book that I apparently bought for myself, but have no clue as to why. In a last minute gift buying/clicking frenzy, I put a few items into my Amazon "cart" and then bought the whole cart. I saw a few "mystery" items but figured that someone in the family put them in there. I wrapped everything that Amazon sent and figured someone would claim everything (my kids are 20ish). There was one book left, Anatomy of a Kidnapping, that no one claimed. I suppose that I added it to the cart, but really don't remember when or why.

I sort of might want to blame it on someone here...

Does Anatomy of a Kidnapping ring any City-Data bells???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I got a book that I apparently bought for myself, but have no clue as to why. In a last minute gift buying/clicking frenzy, I put a few items into my Amazon "cart" and then bought the whole cart. I saw a few "mystery" items but figured that someone in the family put them in there. I wrapped everything that Amazon sent and figured someone would claim everything (my kids are 20ish). There was one book left, Anatomy of a Kidnapping, that no one claimed. I suppose that I added it to the cart, but really don't remember when or why.

I sort of might want to blame it on someone here...

Does Anatomy of a Kidnapping ring any City-Data bells???
Buying and clicking frenzy? I've never experienced anything like that.

That book rings no bells but I just looked it up and it looks great! Well, it *did* look great until I clicked on the first three reviews, clicked on the reviewers "See all my reviews" link, and saw that this was the only book they had ever reviewed. Friends/family of the author. I hate that. Fewer stars on Goodreads, but still 3.65 out of 5 stars, so presumably no relation to Dr. Berk, but some strangers liked it a lot too. If they had it at my library, I'd read it. But they don't...

Old 12-27-2014, 09:40 PM

757 posts, read 1,024,486 times
I'm reading The Waste Land and other poems by T. S. Eliot. I find it lyrical, and unexpectedly visual, but it is the abstract type of visual, which can be difficult to fathom at times. Unless the reader knows Eliot and his background well, otherwise the sentiments expressed might not be easily related. This is supposedly the game changing work to the world of modern poetry, and it deserves to be so.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I've started "My Life as a Fake" by Peter Carey. I like Carey a lot, but I just finished Shirley Hazzard's "The Great Fire", and I'm now spoiled. After Hazzard, every other writer feels like a blunt instrument. Or maybe Fake is just a weak entry in the Carey body of work. It's short and seems rather frivolous and superficial.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Not sure how long I will hang in there with Anatomy of a Kidnapping. The author, who is the kidnapping victim referred to in the title, comes across as unbearably arrogant. Maybe I'll warm up to him in a few pages, but so far, he is spending page after page telling me what an amazing physician he is. Given that he wrote the book, I already know that he survives this violent crime, so I'm not sure that I need to know much more.

Next on my list is Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I finished Sweet Sanctuary by Kim Vogel Sawyer on Christmas Eve. Didn't start anything else until the 27th on our way home from being with family. Started City of Thieves and am very much enjoying it. I couldn't help but notice in the negative reviews people complained about all the cursing. Seriously??? Unless somethng changes in the last 100 pages, there really is not that much comparatively speaking. It seems like it's been maybe a dozen times so far. Weird. Anyway, I recommend both (if they sound interesting to you of course)!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I LOVE anything and everything by Sharon McCrumb. They're mysteries, but are more about southern folklore. Is she still writing?

I've read a lot of depressing books lately. Need to find one that makes me laugh. Anyone have a recommedation for a recently published nice light funny book?? Something Bridget Jones ish???
I just finished The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore and it was funny--silly even. Most of his books are like that, but with underlying heart. They do contain bawdy sexual humor and cursing, which some people find offensive, but it's all in a Monty Python sort of way.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Got email from library today: new Stephen King book is finally available, so I'll be starting that one this Friday.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just finished The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore and it was funny--silly even. Most of his books are like that, but with underlying heart. They do contain bawdy sexual humor and cursing, which some people find offensive, but it's all in a Monty Python sort of way.
I really enjoy Moore's books. My personal favorite is Lamb - The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really enjoy Moore's books. My personal favorite is Lamb - The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.
That is my favorite, too, Ketabcha. But I also love the vampire books, Bloodsucking Fiends; You Suck: A Love Story and Bite Me: A Love Story. So much silliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books