Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 08:15 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Everything I started since City of Thieves, as suspected, felt leaden. I think I started -- and stopped -- five books until I settled on a YA book that I'd had on my "to read" list for years and years: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. It was named one of the best-ever teen books of all time, and it's based on the true story of his five days in a psych ward as a teenager. A movie was also made of the book. He killed himself in December of last year.

That is so heartbreaking. I read that book about 1 1/2 years ago but I never knew he committed suicide. The book itself has some important lessons. Not all kids deal with situations the same way.

I got City of Thieves from the library yesterday. I have 7 books in front of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I got City of Thieves from the library yesterday. I have 7 books in front of it
It needs to jump a few, maybe even get to the head of the line.

Feeling all sad and depressed now reading the comments on the It's Kind of a Funny Story story. I hate suicide. It's such a sad choice (and as someone who suffers from depression I do sort of get it).

Old 12-31-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I saw this(Station Eleven) a few days ago and thought it sounded interesting. I downloaded the sample and then I bought it. Thank you very much for mentioning it. It's the first book I've finished in a long time. It's not a typical post-apocalyptic popular fiction type of book. Those who like a bit of the literary in their reading would enjoy this one.

I'll quote a bit from it: "Not just the mere fact of survival, which was of course remarkable in and of itself, but to have seen one world end and another begin. And not just to have seen the remembered splendours of the former world, the space shuttles and the electrical grid and the amplified guitars, the computers that could be held in the palm of a hand and the high-speed trains between cities, but to have lived among those wonders for so long."

I think this book did a remarkable job of expressing what a wondrous world we live in, and we don't even recognise how miraculous it is. It was a book that didn't have the usual focus on bad guys and good guys, blood and gore, but was rather a comparison between the world that was, and the lives that were lost and the connections that lived on. I gave it four out of five stars (but it's rare that I give any book 5 stars). It moved fast enough to keep my interest, which is rare these days, but it was a thoughtful book.

Somewhere, maybe in the book's blurb, or maybe it was on an Amazon review, someone wrote that the book was a "poem." I didn't get that out of the book - I didn't find the use of language particularly remarkable nor poetic in any sense for those who might fear flowery language. But it was still very well written. IMHO of course.

(And then, now, after finishing the book, I had the trouble of finding the post in which it had been mentioned but aha, I did!)
I'm glad you like it. Your review was much better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
That is not a usual genre for me either, Lisa. However, it sounds really good. I do love interesting characters. I think I'll give it a try. Sourdough starter in a tin under his shirt is what swayed me. LOL
I am off to a slow start. My mind is just not on reading so I'm not far enough in to get a real feel for the story. I hope we both like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I just got done reading 'The Dead Will Tell' by Linda Castillo. I am a big fan of this author and I read everything she puts out. Her books are always so suspenseful and page turners. It took me less than 24 hours to read this book. It was that good!
I like her books. I will add that one to my TR list.

jazz-I agree….The Imaginary Friend one was not that great.

That's too bad. I did love the Rosie Project…then again I have never worked with people with those types of issues. And yes I do like Big Bang Theory.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times
Quote:
UGH!!! And you finished it? You're his biggest fan now! Or, um, he's YOUR biggest fan now!
Having read more of Dr. Berk than I really should have, I'm pretty certain that HE is his biggest fan!

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 9,022,432 times
The Copernicus Complex: "Our Cosmic Significance in a Universe of Planets and Probabilities."
Interesting read. We may not be such a common place after all.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,560,766 times
Just finished Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. Loved it!

Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Getting into Karl Ove Knausgaard's "A Time for Everything". It's about Angels, and seems to be a fictionalized novel in which the two principal characters are Cain and Abel -- the biblical ones, addressing their life and personalities and relationships with angels in the style of an imaginative modern novel. A bit apprehensive about where it is leading, but Knausgaard is an unusually gifted and candid storyteller. Amazon reviewers (only 14 of them) use lavish superlatives.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I'm not really enjoying the Ned Vizzini book, It's Kind of a Funny Story. I just watched the trailer for the movie and, although I think that I'd like the film, I'm not digging the book so much. I have such a long list of books on my "to read" list but none of them are calling me.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not really enjoying the Ned Vizzini book, It's Kind of a Funny Story. I just watched the trailer for the movie and, although I think that I'd like the film, I'm not digging the book so much. I have such a long list of books on my "to read" list but none of them are calling me.
I read it and and didn't love it. Here is my review:

This book took forever to get into. I couldn't stand all of the teenage.."like this, like that, like like like" It got better after he was admitted and it turned out to be a good story because of the end. It makes you sad to see how much pressure kids and people put on themselves.

I finally got through the beginning of Cinnamon and Gunpowder and I am really enjoying it. I will finish it today.

I have been signed up with a book reading pen pal on Goodreads. If she gets back to me today I will let you know what my next book is

Oh…Happy New Year!!! May we all delve into some wonderful adventures and stories this year

Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I found something to read. Better than that, I found something GREAT to read. But first let me explain the irony of my having chosen this (wait! I'll tell you what it is after I tell you the irony!) book:

1. I don't like books of short stories. One exception (well, two really, because she wrote two books of short stories) is Jhumpa Lahiri. Aside from her, though, I'm just not interested.

(So now you think that the GREAT book is a compilation of short stories, right? Yes and no. WAIT! I'll tell you in a minute!)

2. I don't like "funny" books except for a few -- emphasis on "few" -- by David Sedaris. I like funny and clever DIALOGUE in a not-funny book, but not a "funny" book. There's a difference. Read that again (Here. Here it is: I don't like "funny" books. I like funny and clever DIALOGUE in a not-funny book, but not a "funny" book.) and you'll understand what I mean. See? I knew you would.

(So you think the GREAT book is funny, don't you? Yeah, you're right about that.)

(I'll tell you what it is now.)

I'm reading this: The Fran Lebowitz Reader by -- come on! -- Fran Lebowitz.

It's a book of (short) essays, which are NOT to be confused with short stories. And the book is FUNNY! I'm only two essays -- ESSAYS! NOT SHORT STORIES! -- in and I've laughed out loud -- OUT LOUD! -- four times. No joke. Maybe five times -- I wasn't counting. She is so sarcastic, so irreverent, so... I love her!

Here's the book:
Amazon.com: The Fran Lebowitz Reader eBook: Fran Lebowitz: Kindle Store

Here's Fran:
Fran Lebowitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going back to my couch to read. And laugh. Happy 2015, everyone.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 01-01-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books