Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Just finished Forsaking Home by A. American. which is book 4 in the series. Book 5 (Resurrecting Home) just came out and I have it ordered.
I like that guy's books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:38 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,826,592 times
Hey younglisa7, I give 'The All-girl Filling Station's Last Reunion:A Novel by Fannie Flagg'
5-stars,it was a great book!

Loved the story,and the historical info made it fascinating. Sookie and her hubby Earl were so sweet,but detested her despicable mother -Lenore was the most lying ,unlikeable person imaginable! I loved every other character.

Now I have added a trilogy-
Velva Jean Learns to Drive:
Velva Jean Learns to Fly: A Novel
Becoming Clementine: A Novel by Jennifer Niven
to my TBL,because the last two books also feature a woman who becomes a WASP! one of the reviewers of the Fannie Flagg book had mentioned Velva Jean Learns To Fly,so I looked it up.

Right now I have several more romances by Rebecca Winters to read and two by Cheryl St. John.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM

398 posts, read 696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I just finished reading Stephen King's Revival I was not too impressed by it.
[/b]
Oh no, I'm just about to start King's Revival. I liked some of his early books more than others so this will be my first of his 'recent' works.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

997 posts, read 1,058,115 times
I just started Heart Collector, by Jacques Vandroux. It was one of this month's Kindle First offering to Amazon Prime members. I'm about 15% in to it and enjoying it so far.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:06 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,109,800 times
Revenge is sweet! My husband never can understand why I can't get through so many of the books I bring home from the library. He thinks I am too picky and not giving them enough of a chance. But I read literary fiction and the styles vary widely. Some of it is quite experimental. I try new authors.

He reads best-selling mysteries by about a dozen well-known authors---but guess who couldn't get through the new Jonathan Kellerman, The Golem of Hollywood? He's enjoyed Kellerman for years, with the Alex Delaware character, but this was more supernatural stuff. Co-written with one of the Kellerman kids.

He gave up on it after 20 pages!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,074,482 times
Just started The All-girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flaggfor February book club. I really enjoyed George W. Bush's 41: A Portrait of My Father and Anne Lamott's Small Victories over the holidays.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,270,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Getting into Karl Ove Knausgaard's "A Time for Everything". It's about Angels, and seems to be a fictionalized novel in which the two principal characters are Cain and Abel -- the biblical ones, addressing their life and personalities and relationships with angels in the style of an imaginative modern novel. A bit apprehensive about where it is leading, but Knausgaard is an unusually gifted and candid storyteller. Amazon reviewers (only 14 of them) use lavish superlatives.
How is it turning out? I read the sample and was blown away by the use of language. Both the author and the translator must be amazing. I might try reading that next.

My husband just finished Book One of Knausgaard's My Struggle. My Struggle: Book 1: Karl Ove Knausgaard, Don Bartlett: 9780374534141: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM

I finished The God of Animals and while it was okay and it held my interest, because I have horses, some of the horse-related aspects didn't quite ring true for me. I guess one of the problems with reading a book that is set where you live, or is related to something you know about, is that you see all the wrong things. So while I found the book interesting and have no regrets about reading it, I had some quibbles about it. Thanks, Dawn for recommending it.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The God of Animals and while it was okay and it held my interest, because I have horses, some of the horse-related aspects didn't quite ring true for me. I guess one of the problems with reading a book that is set where you live, or is related to something you know about, is that you see all the wrong things. So while I found the book interesting and have no regrets about reading it, I had some quibbles about it. Thanks, Dawn for recommending it.
Yeah, I should have realized that before I recommended it. I'm sorry.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yeah, I should have realized that before I recommended it. I'm sorry.
No, no, no, no! No sorries! I did enjoy it - you have no idea how few books I have managed to finish in this last year. I even wondered if some of my quibbles were the result of the first person kid point of view. There were some other examples that seemed more right later, with one of the other characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books