Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,683,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The God of Animals and while it was okay and it held my interest, because I have horses, some of the horse-related aspects didn't quite ring true for me. I guess one of the problems with reading a book that is set where you live, or is related to something you know about, is that you see all the wrong things. So while I found the book interesting and have no regrets about reading it, I had some quibbles about it. Thanks, Dawn for recommending it.
I'm reading Defending Jacob and I like it fine, but the way the 14-year-olds talk doesn't ring true to me at all. I have a 16-year-old and am around a lot of kids that age and I can't imagine any of them talking to adults the way these kids do. But I'm going to keep reading it because it's a good story and I'm curious about the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,987,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, no, no, no! No sorries! I did enjoy it - you have no idea how few books I have managed to finish in this last year. I even wondered if some of my quibbles were the result of the first person kid point of view. There were some other examples that seemed more right later, with one of the other characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm reading Defending Jacob and I like it fine, but the way the 14-year-olds talk doesn't ring true to me at all. I have a 16-year-old and am around a lot of kids that age and I can't imagine any of them talking to adults the way these kids do. But I'm going to keep reading it because it's a good story and I'm curious about the outcome.
Jesus! I don't have horses. I don't have kids. I can't get anything right! LOL!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Jesus! I don't have horses. I don't have kids. I can't get anything right! LOL!
Awww, stop. You make wonderful recommendations! If I suggested a book about editors, you'd find a million things wrong with their technique, even if you enjoyed the rest of it.

I like Defending Jacob, even though I'm dreading finding out what happens. But it passes the "I'll take it to work to read at lunch" test, which is crucial.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Revenge is sweet! My husband never can understand why I can't get through so many of the books I bring home from the library. He thinks I am too picky and not giving them enough of a chance. But I read literary fiction and the styles vary widely. Some of it is quite experimental. I try new authors.

He reads best-selling mysteries by about a dozen well-known authors---but guess who couldn't get through the new Jonathan Kellerman, The Golem of Hollywood? He's enjoyed Kellerman for years, with the Alex Delaware character, but this was more supernatural stuff. Co-written with one of the Kellerman kids.

He gave up on it after 20 pages!
I've been thinking about your post a lot. I predict that once your husband has given up on one book, he'll find it easier to give up on other books. I used to plod through all but the books I just couldn't stand out of some sense of obligation. But since I've given myself permission to toss a book if it doesn't grab me right off the bat, I usually go through 3 or 4 library books before settling down with one.

I wonder if it has something to do with the sheer number of books and other media we have to choose from. We old(er) people can remember pre-internet days when TV and other media choices were very limited and entertainment was hard to come by. If you didn't have a good library or book store close by, you were limited to reading what you had in the house. Now if you don't like it, you can get something else on the Kindle, or ... watch Netflix!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Awww, stop. You make wonderful recommendations! If I suggested a book about editors, you'd find a million things wrong with their technique, even if you enjoyed the rest of it.

I like Defending Jacob, even though I'm dreading finding out what happens. But it passes the "I'll take it to work to read at lunch" test, which is crucial.
Thanks! Imagine how boring a book would be that told about what an editor does. GAH!

I'm happy that you're liking it.

Hey. Question. You don't agree with how the kid talks, but what about the legal aspects of it? Are you buying that? I'm genuinely curious.

Quote:
I've been thinking about your post a lot. I predict that once your husband has given up on one book, he'll find it easier to give up on other books. I used to plod through all but the books I just couldn't stand out of some sense of obligation. But since I've given myself permission to toss a book if it doesn't grab me right off the bat, I usually go through 3 or 4 library books before settling down with one.

I wonder if it has something to do with the sheer number of books and other media we have to choose from. We old(er) people can remember pre-internet days when TV and other media choices were very limited and entertainment was hard to come by. If you didn't have a good library or book store close by, you were limited to reading what you had in the house. Now if you don't like it, you can get something else on the Kindle, or ... watch Netflix!
I could have written everything that you wrote, word for word.

I wish that I had marked the day that I decided that it was okay -- better than okay! -- to give up on a book. I would love to celebrate that anniversary because it was one of the best days of my life. So liberating!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 01-07-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Imagine how boring a book would be that told about what an editor does. GAH!

I'm happy that you're liking it.

Hey. Question. You don't agree with how the kid talks, but what about the legal aspects of it? Are you buying that? I'm genuinely curious.

I could have written everything that you wrote, word for word.

I wish that I had marked the day that I decided that it was okay -- better than okay! -- to give up on a book. I would love to celebrate that anniversary because it was one of the best days of my life. So liberating!
I haven't really gotten that far yet. He's just been reading the kids' facebook posts and getting worried. I'll let you know, though.

And I agree--with so many books to make us happy in the universe, no need to spend time on those that don't.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,472,542 times
I finished Charlotte's Web, all the while wondering how I managed to get to 50 without having read it.

I have Digging to America by Anne Tyler from the library. I usually love her stuff -- I've only run into 1 so far that I could do without. But I'm really not in the reading mood, so we'll see how that goes. It took me a couple weeks to get through Charlotte, that's how not in the mood I am.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,240,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Oh no, I'm just about to start King's Revival. I liked some of his early books more than others so this will be my first of his 'recent' works.
Novila, Revival kept my interest until around pg. 200 & then dropped off dramatically. I actually skipped about 60 pgs. & picked up just like a soap opera you haven't seen in a year. The end was predictable. If they turn it into a mini-series I won't be watching. That being said, Mary Higgins Clark, The Cinderella Murder is very good.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM

While I'm waiting for this book to be released on Tuesday, January 13 and find itself in my grubby paws (at which time the hype that I created in my own head will be ridiculous and I'll hate the book):

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Train-Nov...l+on+the+train

I'm going to read this memoir (I liked both of her others, so that bodes well):

http://www.amazon.com/Glitter-Glue-M...itter+and+glue

Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,247,189 times
Quote:
While I'm waiting for this book to be released on Tuesday, January 13 and find itself in my grubby paws (at which time the hype that I created in my own head will be ridiculous and I'll hate the book):

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Train-Nov...l+on+the+train

I'm going to read this memoir (I liked both of her others, so that bodes well):

http://www.amazon.com/Glitter-Glue-M...itter+and+glue
I've got The Girl on the Trainon hold. I finished City of Thieves and Remember Me Like This.i'm 10% into My Brilliant Friend. It's good so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books