Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I've got The Girl on the Trainon hold. I finished City of Thieves and Remember Me Like This.i'm 10% into My Brilliant Friend. It's good so far.
Did you like City of Thieves? Oh, how I loved it...
I liked Remember Me Like This until close to the end. Then I just skimmed because it felt ridiculous.

I read a few pages of My Brilliant Friend but couldn't get into it. It's likely the "right book, wrong time" thing.

I cannot WAIT for The Girl on the Train. That's such a recipe for disaster for me -- DYING for the book means that it's going to SUCK for me. (I wrote that as a reverse jinxing so maybe that won't happen this time.) (I shouldn't have written that because... eh. Never mind. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,341,345 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I cannot WAIT for The Girl on the Train. That's such a recipe for disaster for me -- DYING for the book means that it's going to SUCK for me. (I wrote that as a reverse jinxing so maybe that won't happen this time.) (I shouldn't have written that because... eh. Never mind. )
I just put myself on the hold list for this one at my library. Here's hoping you don't think it is the worst book ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I just put myself on the hold list for this one at my library. Here's hoping you don't think it is the worst book ever.
Hahaha! (I will. )

I just clicked on the link that I pasted here and, FINALLY, there's a preview to read the sample. I won't read it. I can't. I'm too excited about it and I don't want to hate it before it's even released. Ha! (I think I might be deranged right now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 01:49 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
30,380 posts, read 16,106,387 times
Reputation: 44181
Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery


In 1955 at age 67, she walks the Appalachian Trail from beginning to end. She's the first woman to do that.


No sleeping bag, no knapsack, no special shoes. A blanket, a bag she made from 1 yard of denim, and Ked sneakers. She's on her 6th pair as far as I've read.


I'll finish it today. Definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes nonfiction and/or admirable women.

Definitely 2 thumbs up

(and hippos don't even have thumbs. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hey younglisa7, I give 'The All-girl Filling Station's Last Reunion:A Novel by Fannie Flagg'
5-stars,it was a great book!





Now I have added a trilogy-
Velva Jean Learns to Drive:
Velva Jean Learns to Fly: A Novel
Becoming Clementine: A Novel by Jennifer Niven
to my TBL,because the last two books also feature a woman who becomes a WASP! one of the reviewers of the Fannie Flagg book had mentioned Velva Jean Learns To Fly,so I looked it up.

Yay…I just picked up A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg from my library. I missed Christmas but that's OK, lol.

I can't get Velva Jean learns to drive but I can get Velva Jean Learns to Fly. I added that to my TR list.



I just added The Girl On The Train to my TR list. It sounds good although I was not a big fan of Gone Girl. One of the remarks says it is similar


Last night I started The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I am really enjoying it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post


I just added The Girl On The Train to my TR list. It sounds good although I was not a big fan of Gone Girl. One of the remarks says it is similar

I doubt that it's like Gone Girl. I think that someone says that for every book that's a psychological thriller these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I doubt that it's like Gone Girl. I think that someone says that for every book that's a psychological thriller these days!

It does sound intriguing…and I want to know what she saw


BTW..have you ever heard of Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler? It was said to be "like" Bastard Out of Carolina

Before Women Had Wings (Ballantine Reader's Circle): Connie May Fowler: 9780449911440: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It does sound intriguing…and I want to know what she saw


BTW..have you ever heard of Before Women Had Wings by Connie May Fowler? It was said to be "like" Bastard Out of Carolina

Before Women Had Wings (Ballantine Reader's Circle): Connie May Fowler: 9780449911440: Amazon.com: Books
Hahaha! I have not, but it sure sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:07 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,341,345 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! (I will. )

I just clicked on the link that I pasted here and, FINALLY, there's a preview to read the sample. I won't read it. I can't. I'm too excited about it and I don't want to hate it before it's even released. Ha! (I think I might be deranged right now.)
You are so fun (not deranged)!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
You are so fun (not deranged)!!
xoxo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top