Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How come you're so excited about a debut novel, or so I think I read? How do you know it's any good? I think you said you were excited about it before reading the sample, so I'm just curious.

I started in The Descent by Tim Johnson. I came across it via your link to Girl On a Train. It's literary writing, very beautiful in places but after my first initial burst of enthusiasm, I have lost interest. It is probably me. I think there is no cure for what ails me but to reread The Secret History.
I have NO idea. I read the synopsis and it hooked me. And since I've had to wait for its release (tonight at midnight, but who's counting?), the hype -- the hype that I created within my own head, I mean -- built and built and built. It's a sickness. I didn't even read the sample after it became available. I still won't. This is the same sickness as I get when I have to wait for a library book. I'm so excited to get it, I think about it all the time, but by the time it gets to me, I'm like, "Eh. I have no interest now."

I envy you being able to reread a book. I can't do it, even though I have a list of books that I'd love to read again. The Secret History is on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,240,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Jazzy, Glitter and Glue -- which is really very good -- is the one that I'm reading while I'm biding my time until the one that I'm really waiting for is finally released on Tuesday. That one I'm pretty sure will have a waiting list at your library -- it's called The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

The Girl on the Train: A Novel - Kindle edition by Paula Hawkins. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I read the sample. It's all good so far. I've been fooled before. Lol

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I read the sample. It's all good so far. I've been fooled before. Lol
YAY!!! There's hope!!!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:24 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,335,054 times
I finished two books yesterday.

The first one was City of Thieves by David Benioff. I loved this book and it's rich characters. It's a coming of age book during WWll and the Siege of Leningrad. It's about an unlikely friendship and a first love during the harshest of times. If you can't handle profanity than this is not for you. I believe it is how the characters got through some really terrbile times. Great book.

The second book was We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This is a YA book with a wow ending. This is the best YA book I have read in a long time. It blows away any John Green books for me. 4 out of 5.
"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

Next up…A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

The first one was City of Thieves by David Benioff. I loved this book and it's rich characters. It's a coming of age book during WWll and the Siege of Leningrad. It's about an unlikely friendship and a first love during the harshest of times. If you can't handle profanity than this is not for you. I believe it is how the characters got through some really terrbile times. Great book.

The second book was We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This is a YA book with a wow ending. This is the best YA book I have read in a long time. It blows away any John Green books for me. 4 out of 5.
A private island.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

I'm so glad that you loved both of those books -- I did too.

I started The Girl on the Train last night. I'm only at about 3% since I only got the book at midnight. Nothing much has happened yet, obviously, but so far so good.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:52 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm so glad that you loved both of those books -- I did too.

I started The Girl on the Train last night. I'm only at about 3% since I only got the book at midnight. Nothing much has happened yet, obviously, but so far so good.
I did thanks

Enjoy your new one. My library doesn't have it yet

Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,340,022 times
Quote:

A private island.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

I also loved City of Thieves. Reserved a copy of We Were Liars at the library; #10 on the list thank goodness. I'm reading Die Again by Tess Gerritsen and Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success by Steve Harvey and listening to The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan per orders of Dawn (library did not have ebook, just audio, and I was too lazy-or too busy-to go to the library for the book). Got Nicholas Sparks' True Believer last night and am #1 on the list for Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan at the library. All these books and I just want to read some that I already own but keep getting library books. Sheesh!

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. Such a moving, memorable book. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:

A private island.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

Agree with all your comments. These were wonderful books.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,340,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How come you're so excited about a debut novel, or so I think I read? How do you know it's any good? I think you said you were excited about it before reading the sample, so I'm just curious.
It's a curious thing. When Dawn mentioned how excited she was and I went looking for it at the library, I noticed there were already reserves for the ebook and the regular book. Makes me wonder how so many people are hearing about this book, a debut novel, and jumping on it. There has to be a lot of word of mouth or something because it seems odd to me. It does sound extremely intriguing and I'm excited to read it, but still curious that there's such long wait lists for it.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
It's a curious thing. When Dawn mentioned how excited she was and I went looking for it at the library, I noticed there were already reserves for the ebook and the regular book. Makes me wonder how so many people are hearing about this book, a debut novel, and jumping on it. There has to be a lot of word of mouth or something because it seems odd to me. It does sound extremely intriguing and I'm excited to read it, but still curious that there's such long wait lists for it.
I read about the book in the NYT Book Review.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...rain.html?_r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books