Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

I am at 67% on my Kindle reading~Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery Book 1)by Molly Greene,
and I'm enjoying it very much.I really like the characters,[well except for one nasty villain],and I am finding the flipping-houses info,and the mystery-ies,really interesting.I wish it didn't have to end.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Loon-Dela.../dp/B00838H1OY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Armed and Outrageous, An Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery by Madison Johns.
(currently free as a Kindle download)

Had me laughing out loud last night.
Haven't finished it yet
Thanks…I ordered that

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am at 67% on my Kindle reading~Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery Book 1)by Molly Greene,
and I'm enjoying it very much.I really like the characters,[well except for one nasty villain],and I am finding the flipping-houses info,and the mystery-ies,really interesting.I wish it didn't have to end.

Mark of the Loon (Gen Delacourt Mystery Book 1) - Kindle edition by Molly Greene. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Sounds like a fun book.

I finished Flowers For Algernon. I loved it. So sad and inspiring. I cannot believe I never read it before.

Next up….What Alice Forgot.
Here is the description:
"Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes.

Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over."

It sounds good….we'll see. I have been on a good roll…I know it will stop sometime. I am also bound to get burned out soon

Old 01-16-2015, 06:08 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished Flowers For Algernon. I loved it. So sad and inspiring. I cannot believe I never read it before.
Such a fabulous book. I first read it for an English class in Jr. High School many many years ago and have reread it multiple times.

You should definitely watch the film adaptation, Charly, with Cliff Robertson.

I'm between books now - I finished The Girl on the Train the other day and have been so busy that I haven't yet started another.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:47 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks…I ordered that

Next up….What Alice Forgot.
Here is the description:
"Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes.

Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over."

It sounds good….we'll see. I have been on a good roll…I know it will stop sometime. I am also bound to get burned out soon
I gave up on What Alice Forgot after about 50 pages so I'm curious what you think about it. TBH, I can't even remember what I didn't like about it.

I started The Good House by Ann Leary last night. Only read a couple of pages before falling asleep so I don't even know if I like it or not. I got a handful of things from the library so if it doesn't work out, I'll move on.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I finished Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success and Die Again yesterday. Loved Die Again. Who knows how long I'll have to wait to read another Rizzoli and Isles book.

I started True Believer by Nicholas Sparks last night. I am still listening to The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. I'm limited on where I can listen so it'll take me a while to get through it.

I'm now thinking about re-reading Flowers for Algernon. I haven't read it since junior high or high school, can't remember which it was. I remember liking it.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Finished David Benioff's "City of Thieves". Very good. I can't say what I liked about it, it was a simple read, but one I couldn't put down. What I will say is that the ending hit me between the eyes, one of the most beautifully powerful endings of any novel I've ever read. I put it in my Top Three Endings list. Along with Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons" and David Lodge's "Deaf Sentence".

Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I started The Good House by Ann Leary last night. Only read a couple of pages before falling asleep so I don't even know if I like it or not. I got a handful of things from the library so if it doesn't work out, I'll move on.
I hope that you like it. I did. I liked the main character. I don't remember her name, of course, but I liked her. There's lots of great dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am still listening to The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. I'm limited on where I can listen so it'll take me a while to get through it.
I'm bummed that there was no e-book available. You would have finished it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Finished David Benioff's "City of Thieves". Very good. I can't say what I liked about it, it was a simple read, but one I couldn't put down. What I will say is that the ending hit me between the eyes, one of the most beautifully powerful endings of any novel I've ever read. I put it in my Top Three Endings list. Along with Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons" and David Lodge's "Deaf Sentence".
Exactly! It was a simple read, but impossible to put down. Who said... hang on, let me find it... here it is:

"Easy reading is damn hard writing." - Nathaniel Hawthorne

So true.

------------

I "finished" The Girl on the Train. Ketabcha wouldn't tell me the end. I mean, she said that she would, if I really wanted her to, but she "suggested" that I skip to about 90% and then read from there. So I went to 90%, read a few pages, saw "who dunnit," and didn't read any more. I poked myself with a fork -- I was done.

I'm not sure what I'll read next. I have the attention span of a gnat right now.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I'm bummed that there was no e-book available. You would have finished it by now.
I have decided to put it back on my wish list and get the actual book from the library. Two of the kids have library books due like Feb 4 so I'll be there before then. I am too easily distracted when I listen to an audiobook. I did a decent job so far with this one, but.... So I'll plan to read both books soon. I was enjoying The Middle Place so I will definitely go back to it.

I wish I had some really great suggestion for you to read next, but I'm just idea-less.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubalda Manfrin View Post
The little prince
That's one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
The Water Seeker by Kimberly Willis Holt.

Like all her books, it's marketed for teens but I think it's wonderful. She's one of my favorite writers.

Publisher's description:
Quote:
Amos Kincaid is the son of a dowser – a person gifted in knowing how to “find” water deep in the ground. As a young person, Amos doesn’t reveal his gift to others; he’s not sure he wants the burden. But through his experiences growing up and crossing the Oregon Trail, Amos learns about life’s harsh realities, especially the pain in losing loved ones. As he cares for those around him, Amos comes to accept his dowsing fate. This epic novel is a fascinating period piece about the westward expansion and one man’s destiny as he searches for love and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books