Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Just finished my sisters keeper and now reading fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
I'm about halfway through Anne of Avonlea. I just needed some escapism and the Anne of Green Gables series is working beautifully.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
Oh. My. Gosh! I just finished The Doctor's Wife and I must say... that book ROCKED!!! Started out sooooo sloooooooow, but then I found myself unable to put it down!!! Terrific book! Highly recommend! Suspenseful and thrilling!!! And if Hollywood wants to make a movie of it (and hopefully not ruin it) contact me... I got the perfect casting for it in my head!

With that said... I'm now reading "Riding Lessons" by Sara Gruen, the author of the great book "Water For Elephants".

Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Oh. My. Gosh! I just finished The Doctor's Wife and I must say... that book ROCKED!!! Started out sooooo sloooooooow, but then I found myself unable to put it down!!! Terrific book! Highly recommend! Suspenseful and thrilling!!! And if Hollywood wants to make a movie of it (and hopefully not ruin it) contact me... I got the perfect casting for it in my head!
Which one? The one by Elizabeth Brundage or the one by Sawako Ariyoshi and Wakako Hironaka or the one by Mary Elizabeth Braddon and Lyn Pykett or the one by Brian Moore or the one by John Glatt or the one by Cheryl St. John?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
That would be the one by Elizabeth Brundage.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I am reading Designated Targets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on my Kindle. Kind of time travel meets Tom Clancy kind of book.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM

33 posts, read 82,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Wow - I noticed this thread started back in 2006. I just finished "A Movable Feast" by Ernest Hemingway. I had read alot "about" Hemingway but nothing by him. Now I want to read another.
a farewell to arms and for whom the bell tolls are two of my favourites by him

Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I am reading Designated Targets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on my Kindle. Kind of time travel meets Tom Clancy kind of book.
This is a good series -- I've read all three of them.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:46 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,796 times
I will be reading Basketball Jones by E. Lynn Harris as soon as I wind down for the evening in a few hours. I love his books!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Default Red/Life of Susan Hayward

Now here's a book I'll read again! I identify strongly with these people who never forget or forgive, take their grudges to their graves.

She never forgave her mother for favoring her sister Florence. Even when she became a millionaire and her mother and sister were on welfare, she would never give them a dime. When her mother applied for welfare, they laughed in her face: Your daughter is a millionaire! Her mother would plead with her just to buy her a tiny one bedroom house for her and put it in Susan's name. Susan: But then, I couldn't collect rent on it! I was the victim of favoritism in my family, and to this day, I still haven't forgiven my sister, even though it wasn't her fault.

Very, very tight with her money, heavy drinker and smoker. Especially enjoyed the stories of her getting blasted drunk in Fort Lauderdale where she had a house on a canal with a boat. Drunk, she'd get on the boat and race through the canals at night like a race car driver, and the police condoning her behavior because they were thrilled to have a super star living in their community back then.

Great, great actress. Now, I'm going to have to get ahold of I Want To Live which she won an academy award for.

I'm also into Astrology and do a chart on the person before I read it. Makes it more fun. Moon in Scorpio. Ooh-ooh-ooh! Cold as ice, cross their paths even once, and consider yourself dead-dead-dead!!!

The author of the book is Robert Laguardia & Gene Arceri

Last edited by tijlover; 06-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot author
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books