Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Well, while I am waiting for something I really want to read, I apparently am reading Flight Behaviour by Kingsolver. Just because it was sitting there on the coffee table in book form and I am far enough along now for it to actually qualify as reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, while I am waiting for something I really want to read, I apparently am reading Flight Behaviour by Kingsolver. Just because it was sitting there on the coffee table in book form and I am far enough along now for it to actually qualify as reading.
What happened to the book that you made me put a hold on, that Ugly Girls one? No good?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
What happened to the book that you made me put a hold on, that Ugly Girls one? No good?
I read the sample all the way through and I think it might be a very good book but since I can't loan books but rather have to buy them for the kindle, and because it still wasn't quite what I was looking for, I am still waiting on it. Well, browsing book samples and reading Flight Behaviour in between. I have a ton of books I actually own, lock, stock and barrel, and yet I still buy way too many books on the Kindle.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I read the sample all the way through and I think it might be a very good book but since I can't loan books but rather have to buy them for the kindle, and because it still wasn't quite what I was looking for, I am still waiting on it. Well, browsing book samples and reading Flight Behaviour in between. I have a ton of books I actually own, lock, stock and barrel, and yet I still buy way too many books on the Kindle.
Got it. Well, if I get it from the library (and read it) before you get to it, I'll let you know how it is and if it's worth your bucks.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
I loved the Good House as well.

Looking forward to Olive Kitteridge being released on DVD---February 11th, I think.lust finished a really good book:

The Girls of Corona del Mar ---by Rufi Thorpe

Fantastic. A character study of two teen girls growing up in California and then their lives as young adult women. Lori Anne is the golden girl, both seemingly inside and out, whereas Mia is a little darker. (However, even though Lori Anne does everything right, there seems to be a black cloud following her around.) They expect to be friends forever but their lives take very different paths. And then they meet up again as very different people, with their teenage friendship brought into question.

The writing is excellent. I really felt like I knew Mia very well---Lori Anne remained an enigma. Here's a blurb from the book and a summary on Amazon:

“Why did Lorrie Ann look graceful in beat-up Keds and shorts a bit too small for her? Why was it charming when she snorted from laughing too hard? Yes, we were jealous of her, and yet we did not hate her. She was never so much as teased by us, we roaming and bratty girls of Corona del Mar, thieves of corn nuts and orange soda, abusers of lip gloss and foul language.”

An astonishing debut about friendships made in youth, The Girls from Corona del Mar is a fiercely beautiful novel about how these bonds, challenged by loss, illness, parenthood, and distance, either break or endure.

The Girls from Corona del Mar: A novel: Rufi Thorpe: 8601401481706: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Got it. Well, if I get it from the library (and read it) before you get to it, I'll let you know how it is and if it's worth your bucks.
I was typing one fingered on the ipad before (I tend to be brief then) - anyway, I think that Ugly Girls has the potential to be a very, very good book from the sample I read. And oddly enough that is also part of the reason I hesitated in buying it - I like to know there's potential out there. And I already have soooo many books that need to be read - I am sure I would like most of them. But I bought them when I was in a certain kind of mood and then that mood passed and part of reading books for me, is being in the right mood for the right book. And I haven't found the right book for my mood right now.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I loved the Good House as well.

Looking forward to Olive Kitteridge being released on DVD---February 11th, I think.lust finished a really good book:

Fantastic. A character study of two teen girls growing up in California and then their lives as young adult women. Lori Anne is the golden girl, both seemingly inside and out, whereas Mia is a little darker. (However, even though Lori Anne does everything right, there seems to be a black cloud following her around.) They expect to be friends forever but their lives take very different paths. And then they meet up again as very different people, with their teenage friendship brought into question.

The writing is excellent. I really felt like I knew Mia very well---Lori Anne remained an enigma. Here's a blurb from the book and a summary on Amazon:

“Why did Lorrie Ann look graceful in beat-up Keds and shorts a bit too small for her? Why was it charming when she snorted from laughing too hard? Yes, we were jealous of her, and yet we did not hate her. She was never so much as teased by us, we roaming and bratty girls of Corona del Mar, thieves of corn nuts and orange soda, abusers of lip gloss and foul language.”

An astonishing debut about friendships made in youth, The Girls from Corona del Mar is a fiercely beautiful novel about how these bonds, challenged by loss, illness, parenthood, and distance, either break or endure.

The Girls from Corona del Mar: A novel: Rufi Thorpe: 8601401481706: Amazon.com: Books
Hehehe. *Sheepish laugh.* Sample downloaded.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
finished a really good book:

I'm glad that you liked it. I couldn't get past 15% or so, even though I was so excited about it. I think it might have been right book, wrong time for me.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Quote:
I was typing one fingered on the ipad before (I tend to be brief then) - anyway, I think that Ugly Girls has the potential to be a very, very good book from the sample I read. And oddly enough that is also part of the reason I hesitated in buying it - I like to know there's potential out there. And I already have soooo many books that need to be read - I am sure I would like most of them. But I bought them when I was in a certain kind of mood and then that mood passed and part of reading books for me, is being in the right mood for the right book. And I haven't found the right book for my mood right now.
Couldn't get through the first page of UG---once I read the cover flap and saw that one of the characters was nicknamed Baby Girl! Funny how little it can take to be a dealbreaker. And I thought the book might be the literary equivalent of HoneyBooBoo, a TV show I don't watch (okay, I don't watch TV except for Downtown Abbey, but that's a show I especially don't watch!).

Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Couldn't get through the first page of UG---once I read the cover flap and saw that one of the characters was nicknamed Baby Girl! Funny how little it can take to be a dealbreaker. And I thought the book might be the literary equivalent of HoneyBooBoo, a TV show I don't watch (okay, I don't watch TV except for Downtown Abbey, but that's a show I especially don't watch!).
Ha! That is almost word for word what I typed the first time around and then my finger hit some key accidentally that erased that part and didn't bother typing it in the next time around. 'Baby Girl' was immediately off-putting to me but the name was quickly explained in the sample in a way I could accept it. I am not sure what qualifies as a spoiler but the reason that one character calls herself Baby Girl is because her brother called her that before his accident. I don't know what kind of accident or anything like that, but the way it was explained in the sample, I thought I might be able to swallow that explanation.

But I also found the first page the hardest to read. For me, it got better past the first couple of pages. Doesn't mean it couldn't be a stinker though since I just read the sample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books