Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

I am still reading Gone with the Wind! I just started a new job, so my reading time is limited. I have not read GWTW since high school and some of it as coming as a surprise since the movie apparently is more stuck in my memory than the book is. Scarlet was 16 when the book starts and she marries her first husband! By the time that she and Rhett begin their flirtation in Atlanta, she was 17 and he was 37. Times have changed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
I finished this a few weeks ago, hard to put down, great book with some unexpected twist. Left me wanting to learn more about the Afghan culture prior to their war years.
I recommend Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. It's nonfiction and a great insight into Afghan culture and in particular the women's lives. The author, an American, opened a beauty school in Afghanistan. Interesting cultural journey for all involved.....

The Sewing Circles of Herat by Christina Lamb is exceptional, IMO. It's biographical and the sewing circles are secret underground schools for girls run by women in Afghanistan. True story.

The first book I read about Afghanistan and the one that has moved me the most is An Unexpected Light by Jason Elliot. It's pitched as a travelogue but it is so much more. If you want to get to know the Afghan culture then this is the book for you. It's nonfiction and so beautiful. I love the book. I actually cried when I finished it because I didn't want it to be over.

Another great one is A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. Again, it's nonfiction and was written in the 1950's I think. Two Brits decided to climb a mountain in Afghanistan. A very big mountain. The Hindu Kush is a sub-range of the Himalayas. I laughed throughout the book because these fellows had no idea what they were attempting. They prepared by climbing a hill in Wales first and figured they were ready. They had to walk through Afghanistan to get there. Keeping in mind that Afghanistan is just a little smaller than Texas it was quite a stroll. They say that if Afghanistan was to be ironed flat it would be the size of Alaska.

There is a novel that I read, too. It's about a well-to-do Afghan family in Kabul. Four kids who take different roads in their lives. This book serves to show us the culture of the country and how different people react to it in different ways. Alas, I can't remember the title of it. I know I have it around here somewhere and I WILL find it and let you know the title.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Had to give up on 'Velva Jean Learns To Drive'-Too much god-talk/preaching mixed with cussing,including God's name in vain!

Really weird book,was funny at the start with the 10 year old protagonist[Velva Jean] fearful of not being 'saved' after her daddy told her she would go to hell if she died,and her older brother confirmed that they were both most likely going to hell.

She becomes desperate to get saved at a revival when moonshiners and many other bad folks at the altar with her are getting saved and speaking in tongues,but she feels nothing.

Lots of good stuff about the hypocrisy and phoniness of religion,but finally all the cussing and sad tragedies that befall Velma Jean despite her being 'saved',plus the god-talk and cussing just caused me to not even care anymore and I quit reading at about page 200.

Not an enjoyable read,and glad it was my library's copy.

Now I will finish 'Into The Whirlwind',but also want to start ~Birdology: Adventures with Hip Hop Parrots, Cantankerous Cassowaries, Crabby Crows, Peripatetic Pigeons, Hens, Hawks, and Hummingbirds by Sy Montgomery

Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Read this book and loved it. I think they are making a movie out of it.

I've been on a Sarah Waters kick.

Have read The Paying Guests, Fingersmith and The Little Stranger. All steeped in the history of each setting, with vivid characterization, intriguing plots and beautiful prose. Probably liked Fingersmith the best, but enjoyed all three.
I have Fingersmith on hold.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM

98 posts, read 119,903 times
I am reading 'I Kicked Cancer's Ass!' -- by me!

I just published this book and of course, am reading it over and over because I can't believe I actually did this!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms9747 View Post

I just published this book and of course, am reading it over and over because I can't believe I actually did this!!!
Congratulations on the ass kicking and the book.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubalda Manfrin View Post
The little prince
I read this years ago and it's one of my favorites. I should pull it off the shelf and read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am still reading Gone with the Wind! I just started a new job, so my reading time is limited. I have not read GWTW since high school and some of it as coming as a surprise since the movie apparently is more stuck in my memory than the book is. Scarlet was 16 when the book starts and she marries her first husband! By the time that she and Rhett begin their flirtation in Atlanta, she was 17 and he was 37. Times have changed...
When I read this (also many years ago) I was surprised how different it was from the movie. I've got a copy my Mom bought around the time it came out. It's another one I need to pull off the shelf and reread.

Last edited by Rowan123; 01-20-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I remember a discussion about the book Wolf Hall here and I just discovered that PBS is presenting the show on Masterpiece Theater. There was no date listed. Oliver Cromwell is one of my least favorite historic characters but I have the feeling that PBS will present a delish show because the court of Henry VIII was full of all kinds of scathing intrigue. I like that as long as it is not in my personal life.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for this. I bought Wolf Hall and the sequel based on the recommendations in this thread but it's sitting in my excessively large TBR pile (actually, it's more than one pile but I refuse to be more specific).

Thanks for mentioning it.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I've marked my calender. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
but also want to start ~Birdology: Adventures with Hip Hop Parrots, Cantankerous Cassowaries, Crabby Crows, Peripatetic Pigeons, Hens, Hawks, and Hummingbirds by Sy Montgomery
It looks interesting, please let me know how you like it.

Last edited by Rowan123; 01-20-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:

Congratulations and well done!!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Congratulations on the ass kicking and the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Congratulations and well done!!
Well, you're not allowed to market your own book here, so I'm going to do it for you. Fingers crossed.

http://www.amazon.com/kicked-Cancers...sin=B00REJF1OU

Stay healthy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books