Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I finished ~Birdology: Adventures with Hip Hop Parrots, Cantankerous Cassowaries, Crabby Crows, Peripatetic Pigeons, Hens, Hawks, and Hummingbirds by Sy Montgomery and it is AMAZING! Each chapter is about a different type of bird,and each is filled with amazing,and fascinating info about them,plus some wonderful personal stories.

I think next to read will be~Club George: The Diary of a Central Park Bird-Watcher by Bob Levy
I've put it on my TBR list, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've put it on my TBR list, thank you!
You're very welcome.I hope you enjoy it.I knew that chickens had individual personalities,and I always wanted a flock of my own,so I very much enjoyed her personal observations.I also have seen the youtube videos of Snowball,the dancing cockatoo,and seen Alex, the African Grey parrot on TV several times,so loved the chapter on parrots,plus I also admire crows and fed the hummingbirds.It is definitely a bird lovers book,as is Club George, which I just finished.I enjoyed the info about Central Park in NYC and the bird watching regulars who enjoy the bird residents and visiting birds to the park.

Next up~The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald the book that one of my favorite Romantic Comedy movies is based on~ The Egg and I....Screen legends Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray star as newlyweds whose love is put to the test on their wedding day in the classic comedy The Egg and I. Just after she has said “I do,” Betty (Colbert) learns that her new husband, Bob (MacMurray), has left his white-collar job with plans to raise chickens on a rustic farm located miles away from civilization. Betty tries to make the best of her situation in their ramshackle house but never-ending repairs, a malevolent wood-burning stove, rain, ornery livestock and a seductive neighbor (Louise Allbritton) do not make it easy! There is never a dull moment in this heart-warming comedy that also introduced the beloved characters of Ma and Pa Kettle (Marjorie Main and Percy Killbride).

Then I plan to get serious for a bit again and read~Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14990.Spook?ac=1

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 01-24-2015 at 12:36 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 05:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just finished The Miniaturist, which I LOVED!

So now, I am wondering. Was the miniature house custom a real historic custom, or invented by the author (no notes in the book explained this.)
I just finished it also. The book had some good secrets and twists. I just thought the main character became too smart too fast. I don't think a girl in her position would have grown so quickly. I found her to be unrealistic.

As for the miniature houses that is cool. Yes it was a real custom for a very small percentage of the population…and usually merchant's wives got them.

Supposedly Queen Mary's Dolls' House is the most famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH7ecMYvhfU

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Next up~The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald the book that one of my favorite Romantic Comedy movies is based on~ The Egg and I....Screen legends Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray star as newlyweds whose love is put to the test on their wedding day in the classic comedy The Egg and I. Just after she has said “I do,” Betty (Colbert) learns that her new husband, Bob (MacMurray), has left his white-collar job with plans to raise chickens on a rustic farm located miles away from civilization. Betty tries to make the best of her situation in their ramshackle house but never-ending repairs, a malevolent wood-burning stove, rain, ornery livestock and a seductive neighbor (Louise Allbritton) do not make it easy! There is never a dull moment in this heart-warming comedy that also introduced the beloved characters of Ma and Pa Kettle (Marjorie Main and Percy Killbride).

The book sounds fun. If I could get over the racism and condescending tone I might enjoy the book. I find in books like that I have to try and remember that's how it was in those days…sadly there are still places today where that exists.

Still reading No Place To Hide which is eye opening. I see now that Edward Snowden went after the NSA instead of the CIA so he wouldn't jeopardize any individuals. We need more people like him to stand up for our rights. It's pretty disgusting that our media has to check with the White House before they can go public. It just goes to show how biased our news really is. So much for "investigative" news.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-24-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7

Quote:
The book sounds fun. If I could get over the racism and condescending tone I might enjoy the book. I find in books like that I have to try and remember that's how it was in those days…sadly there are still places today where that exists.

Still reading No Place To Hide which is eye opening. I see now that Edward Snowden went after the NSA instead of the CIA so he wouldn't jeopardize any individuals. We need more people like him to stand up for our rights. It's pretty disgusting that our media has to check with the White House before they can go public. It just goes to show how biased our news really is. So much for "investigative" news.

So very true on both points. Also your third point~ Our news is government controlled 'propaganda' these days,nothing less!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just finished it also. The book had some good secrets and twists. I just thought the main character became too smart too fast. I don't think a girl in her position would have grown so quickly. I found her to be unrealistic.

You know, you're absolutely right. But then, the miniaturist herself was unrealistic. Still a good read, though.

And, re The Egg and I: I discovered that book in the farmhouse when I was a kid, and read it there (probably an edition from the 1940s) several times. I have no memory at all of any Black characters. Were there any? What was racist? Probably the movie was very different from the book. I'll have to re-read.

I also discovered the same author's (Betty McDonald) The Plague and I in the farmhouse and it made much more of an impression on me as a kid than Egg. It's about the author's experience with tuberculosis. Based on my childhood readings, I really recommend it - and now I want to read it again.

Now I'm wondering what happened to all those books at the farmhouse that we didn't take home???? Sadly, the house is no more.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM

96 posts, read 117,385 times
Waking Up by Sam Harris.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
You know, you're absolutely right. But then, the miniaturist herself was unrealistic. Still a good read, though.

And, re The Egg and I: I discovered that book in the farmhouse when I was a kid, and read it there (probably an edition from the 1940s) several times. I have no memory at all of any Black characters. Were there any? What was racist? Probably the movie was very different from the book. I'll have to re-read.

I also discovered the same author's (Betty McDonald) The Plague and I in the farmhouse and it made much more of an impression on me as a kid than Egg. It's about the author's experience with tuberculosis. Based on my childhood readings, I really recommend it - and now I want to read it again.

Now I'm wondering what happened to all those books at the farmhouse that we didn't take home???? Sadly, the house is no more.

Don't get me wrong…many books are unrealistic and I still like them.

The racism in the book is against Native Americans not blacks. I would still read it as I love country life but I most likely would not have liked Betty Macdonald in real life.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:00 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Quote:
Just finished The Miniaturist, which I LOVED!

A major plot point was that miniature houses were given to young wealthy young women in Holland in the 17th century before marriage so that they could experiment with design and play at family life.

This struck me because earlier in the year I had bought an exquisitely beautiful book: The Paper Doll's House of Miss Sarah Elizabeth Birdsall Otis. This was a real miniature house in paper form made by a young woman who lived on Long Island in 1884.

\.
I will add this one to my list. I saw this post earlier and meant to say it looked super interesting and I know nothing about this.

And I meant to add I just finished a Man Called Ove and really enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks to those who mentioned Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, and the unlikely pilgrammage of Harold fry (or something very similar those too will be on my to be read list.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
I'm reading The Little Prince by Saint-Exupery because I can't pay attention long enough for a novel. So far so good. Wonder how I never read this as a kid, along with Charlotte's Web? Hmmm ... bad schools?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
The racism in the book is against Native Americans not blacks. I would still read it as I love country life but I most likely would not have liked Betty Macdonald in real life.
Oh, wow, I didn't remember that! I definitely will have to re-read it, it's been a long time. Did you know that she was also the author of the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books?

Speaking of books displaying the racist attitudes of their period, have you all read Gene Stratton Porter? (Girl of the Limberlost, etc.) In my old book collecting I found and bought a book of hers entitled Her Father's Daughter, which was the most astoundingly, shockingly racist book (against Japanese people in California) I've ever encountered. It was very popular in it's period - which makes it very clear what were the real reasons behind the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

I have just started Helprin's In Sunlight and In Shadow. Hope it's good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books