Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 01:59 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times

Advertisements

Re: The Egg And I by Betty MacDonald

Love the movie,couldn't finish the book!
Wow,what a shock! I have watched the wonderful movie many times,and love it,but had never read the book until yesterday. It has none of the sweetness,fun,humor or romance of the wonderful film!

The book is not in the least -funny,nor is there any romance between Betty and Bob,in fact I couldn't stand either of them,and don't know how/why they put up with each other!

In fact,it is such a tale of misery that I couldn't bear to read anymore than a little after they first move to the farm.I would have left Bob the first week!

A case where the 'movie-is-better-than-the-book' by far!

For those who have never read The Egg And I...don't bother,you haven't missed anything.

Glad it was my library's copy.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 01-25-2015 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm reading The Little Prince by Saint-Exupery because I can't pay attention long enough for a novel. So far so good. Wonder how I never read this as a kid, along with Charlotte's Web? Hmmm ... bad schools?
Did they make that into a movie? I think I saw it when I was very young. I may have to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Oh, wow, I didn't remember that! I definitely will have to re-read it, it's been a long time. Did you know that she was also the author of the Mrs. Pigglewiggle books?
I did see that although I have never seen any Mrs. Pigglewiggle books. I will check my library.

Speaking of books displaying the racist attitudes of their period, have you all read Gene Stratton Porter? (Girl of the Limberlost, etc.) In my old book collecting I found and bought a book of hers entitled Her Father's Daughter, which was the most astoundingly, shockingly racist book (against Japanese people in California) I've ever encountered. It was very popular in it's period - which makes it very clear what were the real reasons behind the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

Thank you. That is very interesting. I checked Amazon and it looks like a lot of her books can be downloaded for free:
Amazon.com: free gene stratton-porter - 4 Stars & Up: Kindle Store

I have just started Helprin's In Sunlight and In Shadow. Hope it's good!
I just read Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which is set in America during WWll. It tells what happened to the American born Japanese. It is also a sweet love story of a young Chinese boy who falls for a young Japanese girl. You might like it.
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet: Jamie Ford: 9780345505347: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Re: The Egg And I by Betty MacDonald

Love the movie,couldn't finish the book!
Wow,what a shock! I have watched the wonderful movie many times,and love it,but had never read the book until yesterday. It has none of the sweetness,fun,humor or romance of the wonderful film!

I hate when that happens. What's up next?

I can't read heavy books at night so while I am still being enlightened by No Place To Hide, I also started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I think it will be very good.

"In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force."

Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
My couch is too comfortable. Every time I try to read, I fall asleep. Also, I had a bunch of false starts -- books that I wanted to read that turned out to be crappy reading.

I'm going to start this one soon: A Week at the Airport by Alain de Botton

Amazon.com: A Week at the Airport (Vintage International Original) eBook: Alain De Botton: Kindle Store

I just happened to notice it and it looked interesting. It's just a little over 100 pages AND has pictures, so who knows how short it really is.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM

I finally finished Into the Whirlwindby Elizabeth Camden,an historical romance with the setting of the great Chicago fire and it's aftermath.I was quite pleased with this book,although I give it a 4-star,instead of full 5-star review because I did not like the way the author totally switched the characteristics of the two men interested in the heroine,that just did not make sense at all.The snake turns into a sweetheart and the sweet gentleman turns into a pompous jerk,no thank you!

I also read ~Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach,and enjoyed it about 3-stars worth. Some really interesting info,some really fun,but I was hoping for too much,I guess.

Will probably select something on my Kindle again while I wait for more reserves to come in.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:01 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Well, I went on a shopping trip for clothes, but of course I can't pass by a bookstore and also got a half dozen or so books on sale. I just finished The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen. It sounded very promising and I read it through. I would have a better idea of how to rate it if I wasn't looking for a grown-up, literary type of coming-of-age story. So this still wasn't quite what I was looking for. But those who enjoy coming of age stories might enjoy this one. It gets high marks on Amazon, I just noticed.

The Land of Decoration: A Novel: Grace McCleen: 8601406356177: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 AM

Going to try another of my Kindle freebies~PESTILENCE by Ken McClure...a medical thriller

PESTILENCE - Kindle edition by Ken McClure. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Finished The Girls from Corona Del Mar. I loved the author's storytelling. Not sure what's next. I've been trying to avoid getting library books and trying to focus on reading what I already have. Then I come here and everything gets messed up.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:17 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I didn't read anything today but I kind of watched a book.

I forgot all about that HBO series Olive Kitteridge until I happened across it online today. It's only four episodes of an hour each. Wow, it was good.

I'm not a TV watcher but this was... just wow. I sobbed like a baby at the end of the final episode. I don't remember the book, really, except that I loved it, but I don't think it was dark like the HBO series is. If all TV was like this, I'd be an addict and give up reading. Good thing that it's mostly crap. It's nice to find an exception, though.
Okay, dawn, you got me! I wandered in here on Saturday to see what I've been missing and came across this post. The name Olive Kitteridge struck me as familiar. I brooded about it all afternoon and finally searched my Kindle - sure enough, there it was. I had apparently downloaded it some time ago and forgotten it. Never had read it. Pulled it out of the Cloud and began reading.

I decided to see if it was still available on HBO and sure enough, there it was. I watched the first episode before I went to bed and when I woke up Sunday AM, I marathon-watched the next three. Good lord! They could have sub-titled it "Please Depress the He!! Out of Me". But the acting redeemed it and I'm glad that I watched. (Other than the fact that they included Bill Murray in the cast list it was a fine production.) (Other than the faded, jaded blond piano-player it was a fine production)

BUT - it wasn't like the book. The book was a series of vignettes about other people who may (or may not) have been acquaintances of O.K.

Nevertheless, not a wasted watch/read. And yes, Dawn, the book was dark.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Okay, dawn, you got me! I wandered in here on Saturday to see what I've been missing and came across this post. The name Olive Kitteridge struck me as familiar. I brooded about it all afternoon and finally searched my Kindle - sure enough, there it was. I had apparently downloaded it some time ago and forgotten it. Never had read it. Pulled it out of the Cloud and began reading.

I decided to see if it was still available on HBO and sure enough, there it was. I watched the first episode before I went to bed and when I woke up Sunday AM, I marathon-watched the next three. Good lord! They could have sub-titled it "Please Depress the He!! Out of Me". But the acting redeemed it and I'm glad that I watched. (Other than the fact that they included Bill Murray in the cast list it was a fine production.) (Other than the faded, jaded blond piano-player it was a fine production)

BUT - it wasn't like the book. The book was a series of vignettes about other people who may (or may not) have been acquaintances of O.K.

Nevertheless, not a wasted watch/read. And yes, Dawn, the book was dark.
YAY!!! I'm glad that you "liked" the HBO episodes. Yeah, a lot of it was tough to watch. The piano player freaked me out a bit, it was so sad. I actually liked Bill Murray.

So you watched all four episodes AND you read the whole book this weekend? It was an Olive Kitteridge multimedia marathon?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
YAY!!! I'm glad that you "liked" the HBO episodes. Yeah, a lot of it was tough to watch. The piano player freaked me out a bit, it was so sad. I actually liked Bill Murray.

So you watched all four episodes AND you read the whole book this weekend? It was an Olive Kitteridge multimedia marathon?
\

AND did a load of laundry, crocheted, and finished When I Found You. I don't mess around! lol
As to WIFY, it got a bit windy but I hung in there and finished it. I'd like to hear your take on it if you've read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books