Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times

Advertisements

EICHMANN In My Hands-- by Peter Z. Malkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
\

AND did a load of laundry, crocheted, and finished When I Found You. I don't mess around! lol
As to WIFY, it got a bit windy but I hung in there and finished it. I'd like to hear your take on it if you've read it.
Hahaha! You really don't! When do you fit NAPS (yes, plural) in????

I haven't read When I Found You. Actually, I've never read anything by Catherine Ryan Hyde. She's such a prolific writer that she scares me. I feel like she writes a book quicker than I can read one. Every time I turn around, Kindle and/or Amazon is announcing her "new" one. But she had a new one last week!?! So, yeah, she scares me -- is she a robot? a witch? -- and I avoid her. (Yes, I'm ridiculous.)

Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
\

AND did a load of laundry, crocheted, and finished When I Found You. I don't mess around! lol
As to WIFY, it got a bit windy but I hung in there and finished it. I'd like to hear your take on it if you've read it.
I tried to read When I Found You because I loved the Amazon description, but I didn't finish it. It's still on the Kindle so I may pick it up again someday.

I'm still reading The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard, but I'm only on about page 60. Haven't had much time to read and it's slow going. The writing is lovely, but the story is a little hard to follow for me. But I'm sure I'll finish it. The writing reminds me a little of The English Patient, which I loved.

Last edited by Marlow; 01-26-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! You really don't! When do you fit NAPS (yes, plural) in????

I haven't read When I Found You. Actually, I've never read anything by Catherine Ryan Hyde. She's such a prolific writer that she scares me. I feel like she writes a book quicker than I can read one. Every time I turn around, Kindle and/or Amazon is announcing her "new" one. But she had a new one last week!?! So, yeah, she scares me -- is she a robot? a witch? -- and I avoid her. (Yes, I'm ridiculous.)
The only time I nap is when I'm s/p surgery and still under the influence of anesthesia! Even as a child I refused to lie down until it was dark out.

I really don't follow authors so I'm seldom aware of how often they have something new. I avoid three for that reason - Grisham, King, Patterson. On the obverse of that coin, there's that person who wrote The Goldfinch (yikes) and she only puts out about every 15 years so that's not a benchmark either! Other than that I try to read the first few pages to get a feel for the flow - if I'm happy, I'm in!

Not reading anything just now. I'm scanning through my Kindle contents to see what else (Olive Kitteridge slipped by) I may have missed. What have you got?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:45 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just started The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Someone here had recommended it. So far, so good. I'm interested, and reluctant to put it down and go to sheep last night. I like that the characters, so far, live most of their lives in their heads.

Someone else had pointed out that although all the reviews seem to liken it to Gone Girl, it's really not like Gone Girl at all, except that it's a psychological thriller, it has "girl" in the title, and it's about a husband and wife.
Finished Girl on the Train yesterday. What a fun ride! A great mystery/thriller, and decently written. Do not peek ahead, because the unfolding of the mystery will be ruined. This is Hawkins' first book, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for her future work. Aside from the whodunit theme of the story, there is a really interesting theme about how we perceive people to be vs. how they truly are. Anyway, I definitely recommend it. You'll be finished in 4-5 days so it's not a huge commitment.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:07 PM

59 posts, read 68,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Welcome to the Books forum, Merotti!!!
Thank you!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Well I picked up Inherent Vice by Pynchon, because of the movie. It was a really fun ride, very Elmore Leonardish! I had been scared to read it before, because I think of Pynchon as being too hard for my poor brain. So, I'm sure there were lots of subtle literocities (yes, I just made that up) in the book that I didn't realize or understand. I'm glad I read it - it was a nice break from reading other books that are overtly more complex.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The only time I nap is when I'm s/p surgery and still under the influence of anesthesia! Even as a child I refused to lie down until it was dark out.

I really don't follow authors so I'm seldom aware of how often they have something new. I avoid three for that reason - Grisham, King, Patterson. On the obverse of that coin, there's that person who wrote The Goldfinch (yikes) and she only puts out about every 15 years so that's not a benchmark either! Other than that I try to read the first few pages to get a feel for the flow - if I'm happy, I'm in!

Not reading anything just now. I'm scanning through my Kindle contents to see what else (Olive Kitteridge slipped by) I may have missed. What have you got?
Ha! I hated naps as a kid. As an adult, though, I looooove them.

I hated The Goldfinch (or at least the 75 pages that I was able to get through), but I loved The Secret History, also by Donna Tartt.

I have no time to read. I'm busy with work and with packing for my move. That does not, however, stop me from collecting books. I just have no time to actually read them.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:59 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
The Happiness Advantage

good stuff so far

Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 PM

I said that I wasn't reading and that's kind of true. I gave up on that book that was less than 100 pages once you discounted the pictures -- A Week at the Airport, or whatever it was called. And I had false starts on half a dozen other books (all duds) before this one.

I have so much to do -- work, packing to move, etc... -- that I can't (couldn't) concentrate on a book. But I need something to relax my brain so that I can sleep after this hellish day. I started Fire Shut Up in My Bones by Charles M. Blow. It's a memoir. The man can write, that's for sure -- he's a New York Times columnist. And I think he has quite the story to tell. So I'm reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Shut-Up-M...up+in+my+bones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books