Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 AM
 
Location: On the East Coast
51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times
Reputation: 80920

Advertisements

I'm reading "American Sniper."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In regard to BOOKBUB, the daily e-mail only lists a few books, but I found out that if you click the button to update your preferences, then click to return to the daily e-mail, you will get page after page after page of listings for "free" or darn-near. Of course, a lot of them are in the romance category which I wouldn't read if that was the only print material left on Earth, but it's worth a look to see what there is to choose from (from which to choose).
You can find the deals on their website too without having to return to the email. There is a tab on the left for latest deals. Or you can select a genre and see those deals. You can see the deals by retailer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
but it's worth a look to see what there is to choose from (from which to choose).
I'm working now, so I'm in editor mode. I bow to you. (And giggle with you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
A few of us here have said that although we didn't enjoy Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch (I didn't even get to page 100 of it), we did love her The Secret History. I guess I was thinking about The Secret History a bit and, because I think that Google, Amazon, and assorted shopping websites have a direct line to my brain, it can't be a coincidence that this book came onto my radar:

http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Fury-Nat...sin=B00IHCC6BE

The Furies (also known as The Amber Fury, although that might just be in Canada) by Natalie Haynes has been compared to The Secret History. I'm sure that this has more to do with the teacher and Greek mythology angles than with Tartt's gorgeous writing style, but I'm adding it to my "to read" list anyway. I thought I'd mention the book here in case anyone else is interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 AM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Reputation: 26860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ah, another Defending Jacob reader! There's been a few of us here.

Dawn, I'm with you---yes yes yes to Secret History, no to Goldfinch.
I just feel compelled to "defend" The Goldfinch. I still think about it often and look forward to reading it again someday. I liked The Secret History, too, but thought The Goldfinch was one of the best books I've ever read. But to each her own and all that!

I'm still reading The Great Fire. It's the kind of book you should settle into the couch with and spend all day reading. Unfortunately, I've only been getting to read a few pages at a time and don't feel like I'm doing it justice, but it's still a enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville
1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Reputation: 2596
Hardwired by Jon Williams. Not quite as good as Neuromancer but still very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
In regard to BOOKBUB, the daily e-mail only lists a few books, but I found out that if you click the button to update your preferences, then click to return to the daily e-mail, you will get page after page after page of listings for "free" or darn-near. Of course, a lot of them are in the romance category which I wouldn't read if that was the only print material left on Earth, but it's worth a look to see what there is to choose from (from which to choose).
Well, that's what I wondered about - whether the offers would be more along the lines of bestsellers like romances or that James Patterson guy. (Which wouldn't interest me)

Anyway, I had an email from LookingforMayberry, whom most of us here on the book forum know. She wanted me to give her regards to everyone here - her computer is acting up when it comes to this site and she can't access it for some reason. She is very busy knitting though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just feel compelled to "defend" The Goldfinch. I still think about it often and look forward to reading it again someday. I liked The Secret History, too, but thought The Goldfinch was one of the best books I've ever read. But to each her own and all that!

I'm still reading The Great Fire. It's the kind of book you should settle into the couch with and spend all day reading. Unfortunately, I've only been getting to read a few pages at a time and don't feel like I'm doing it justice, but it's still a enjoyable.
It's been too long since I read Tartt's other books for me to know which I liked the most, but I did love The Goldfinch. But I can understand why some people would be scratching their heads - I was waiting for something to happen in the beginning and that kept me a little on edge. And then I saw what she was doing, and I just settled back and enjoyed every single word of her beautiful language. I just savoured it. She is such an elegant writer. There is nothing unnecessary, or mundane about the way she expresses herself. She's just a joy to read.

AND I WANT MORE OF THAT! I just haven't found a book since then that I've been able to enjoy in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
A few of us here have said that although we didn't enjoy Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch (I didn't even get to page 100 of it), we did love her The Secret History. I guess I was thinking about The Secret History a bit and, because I think that Google, Amazon, and assorted shopping websites have a direct line to my brain, it can't be a coincidence that this book came onto my radar:

The Furies: A Novel - Kindle edition by Natalie Haynes. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Furies (also known as The Amber Fury, although that might just be in Canada) by Natalie Haynes has been compared to The Secret History. I'm sure that this has more to do with the teacher and Greek mythology angles than with Tartt's gorgeous writing style, but I'm adding it to my "to read" list anyway. I thought I'd mention the book here in case anyone else is interested.
Thank you, Dawn. I looked it up and will download the sample later, via the Canadian Amazon. It does sound promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Reputation: 20483
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's been too long since I read Tartt's other books for me to know which I liked the most, but I did love The Goldfinch. But I can understand why some people would be scratching their heads - I was waiting for something to happen in the beginning and that kept me a little on edge. And then I saw what she was doing, and I just settled back and enjoyed every single word of her beautiful language. I just savoured it. She is such an elegant writer. There is nothing unnecessary, or mundane about the way she expresses herself. She's just a joy to read.

AND I WANT MORE OF THAT! I just haven't found a book since then that I've been able to enjoy in that way.
I know that there is a huge fan base for Tartt, but I'm one of those "get right down to it" people. I like Hemingway. I want a story that cuts through all the extraneous "stuff" and lets me have it - right between the eyes. I like Steinbeck. I like Charlie Carillo.

Yes, I do enjoy a lovely turn of phrase but I don't need the whole 300 pages turning phrases.

Certainly I don't take anything away from those who enjoy bodice-rippers, or long, detailed descriptions of landscapes that only add to the word count. And call it contradictory, but I like Dickens and that old boy can go on. and on. and on. But his "going on" makes my mind rejoice.

Strangely, for all my not liking it, I did read The Goldfinch all the way to the end. And because I'm cursed with the reading gene, if I had nothing else, I'd probably re-read it. If I had nothing else.

I come here to find out what other authors I might like to try; and often it works out. Thanks to all of you and your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top