Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 04:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

Jazz- You're welcome and I'm crossing my fingers for you. Out of all those books, something has to be good

There truly are so many god recommendations here

Last night I started The Elephant Whisperer. What a fantastic story about a man who took on two herds of wild rogue elephants and rehabilitated them. I am about a third of the way through it and it will end up being a favorite of mine.

This is the same story when the man, Lawrence Anthony, died the two herds traveled 12 hours to his own to "supposedly" mourn his death. He had a special connection with these giant mammals.
Wild Elephants gather inexplicably, mourn death of “Elephant Whisperer” | Delight Makers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
Malibu, part of a trilogy on the West Coast celebrities by Pat Booth.
But as I try to read it in a Spanish translation, it's quite arduous.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Michael Ondaatje's "Running in the Family". 1982, still testing literary styles before his works that revealed him as one of the great writers of his generation. It reads somewhat like a "What I did on Summer Vacation", but you can see kernels of promise in there. A short quick scamper through life among the elites in Ceylon>Sri Lanka, which makes it interesting for that illumination alone.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I did too and it kept going between tears and laughter.

My recent really good reads ( I remember you loved BIG LITTLE LIES which I just finished and really liked)..... all were suggested on this forum.
The Good House (Ann Leary)
The Good Luck of Right Now (Matthew Quick)
A Land More Kind than home (Wiley Cash)
and from a long time ago that I LOVED-
ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN
Thanks Mayvenne! I did like BLL. I am reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry ATM. Not sure that I am going to like it but I'm sticking it out. Thanks so much for the above suggestions, I am going to read all of them.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
For fans of Diana Gabaldon I came across another author to try. Into The Wilderness by Sara Donati.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wildernes...the+wilderness

Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
For fans of Diana Gabaldon I came across another author to try. Into The Wilderness by Sara Donati.

Into the Wilderness - Kindle edition by Sara Donati. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
I have this series - haven't read it yet though. My sister loves it.

ETA: If I remember correctly, she was inspired by Outlander when she wrote her series.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 AM

299 posts, read 263,614 times
From "the Mrs.": Village School by Miss Read. I enjoy much of her writing. I am not British (though my husband's family is very British), but love the small village feel of the story. As a home school teacher for 20 years, I see many of my teaching methods repeated successfully through Miss Read, and am delighted with its results not only in my own 3 students, but in the way she wrote of it in her pupils.
http://www.amazon.com/Village-School...iss+read+books

Last edited by NT Fellowship; 02-25-2015 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: fixed url

Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,491 times
Ok, I have to admit I've started reading 50 Shades of Grey. Since I do quite a bit of writing about philosophy of sex and sexuality, I decided I ought to see what the fuss is about with this one. I had low expectations and, frankly, it's worse than I thought. I'm not at all offended by sex or kink, but the writing is annoyingly bad. An utter lack of any sort of artistry. I'm only about a third of the way through, and I've started skimming just to get a rough sense of the storyline.

Aside from the bad writing, I'm also annoyed by the lack of any real insight into the BDSM lifestyle and mindset. It reads more like a collection of mundane stereotypes without any effort to reflect on the aspects of human nature that lead people into these types of relationship. (Keep in mind that I'm only about a third of the way through, so I could be jumping the gun on this assessment. Theoretically it could take a turn for the better.)

What's really sad is the loss of potential. If a well-written and well-researched book had hit the bestseller list like this one, it could have opened up whole new understandings of human psychology and sexuality for a lot of people, in addition to being flat-out interesting and entertaining. Instead it is more like a running gag, with no real substance and a frightful lack of humor, so far as I can see.

On the plus side, it seems to have spawned a whole genre of jokes and related parodies. I haven't read any of the parodies, but I suspect they are probably better than 50 Shades itself.

I am left with a question: Suppose this had been a well-written, well-researched book sprinkled with insights, humor, and a bit of cleverness and it came to market in precisely the same way as 50 Shades did. I wonder if it would have sold as well? I would hope so, but I can't help wondering if somehow the lack of redeeming qualities might have somehow played a role in creating the phenomenon. I wish I had access to parallel realities so that I could run an experiment.

And, speaking of masochism, I will probably end up watching 50 Shades on DVD with it comes out on Netflix. Sad but true.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:58 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
One of my favorite authors is Kazuo Ishiguro. He wrote Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go.

I just started his When We Were Orphans. So far so good.

His books usually have a dreamlike feel to them. The plot goes into the past and is presented in the present as remembrances that are so clear it's almost like the reader is there. I like that.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wildernes...the+wilderness
Thanks Lisa!
Have put it on my wish list.
(From the sample on Amazon, I see Gabaldon gave her a blurb)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books