Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times

Advertisements

I just started The Life We Bury which I never heard of but it is for a book club. It's a relatively new book and I believe first time author.
I am only on page 28 but it is very good- has me looking for more. I find I pretty much classify books as good reads or not- and this is a good read. I suspect it's not going to be a laugh a minute though, but very interesting.
The Life We Bury: Allen Eskens: 9781616149987: Amazon.com: Books

I saw Holly Kay's comment about looking for a humorous or light hearted book, and we already went through the Guernsey Literary and Miss Read (Village Diary etc)... another series that I have recommended over the years, that I ADORE is the Mapp and Lucia series. I don't remember how I found them, but I read whatever I could locate at the time. They were written a long time ago, and the author (E F Benson) died in 1940. After I read them, I learned there was a series I think BBC that was on PBS for a bit of the books. Anyway, talk about WONDERFUL. Let me know if anyone else follows up on this and if you loved it
Make Way For Lucia: The Complete Lucia, Including Queen Lucia / Lucia in London / Miss Mapp / The Male Impersonator / Mapp and Lucia / The Worshipful Lucia / Trouble for Lucia: E. F. Benson, Nancy Mitford: 9780060156787: Amazon.com: Books

I am excited- I just googled him and apparently he wrote a lot of other books. as I remember though, I was not able to find most. But please enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:06 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
I just started One Hundred Years of Solitude. I've read a couple of magical realist novels and didn't hate them so I guess I'm comfortable with this kind of writing style.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
Body of Lies by David Ignatius.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
well okay "Dreaming of spies " By Laurie King was excellent and hopefully can pick up another good one from the library soon .

Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Default Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am reading All the Stars We Cannot See. I started this several months ago and absolutely could not get into it. I decided to give it another go and I am really liking it though it is so depressing. I think because of the huge mess this world is in that I am super sensitive to the sadness of war. When I finish with this I think I need something much more light hearted. I wish Fanny Flagg would come out with something new. I am in desperate need of some laughter.
Geesh I posted this and the next day out of the clear blue I realized I posted the title wrong. I meant All the Light We Cannot See.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Have you read all of Fannie Flagg's books? I have only read two so far and really like her stories.

I'll be curious as to what you think of that. It is on my TR list

That book sounds very good.
Lisa, I love her writing and yes I have read all of her books. She knows how to tell a story and she is so funny.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just started The Life We Bury which I never heard of but it is for a book club. It's a relatively new book and I believe first time author.
I am only on page 28 but it is very good- has me looking for more. I find I pretty much classify books as good reads or not- and this is a good read. I suspect it's not going to be a laugh a minute though, but very interesting.
The Life We Bury: Allen Eskens: 9781616149987: Amazon.com: Books

I saw Holly Kay's comment about looking for a humorous or light hearted book, and we already went through the Guernsey Literary and Miss Read (Village Diary etc)... another series that I have recommended over the years, that I ADORE is the Mapp and Lucia series. I don't remember how I found them, but I read whatever I could locate at the time. They were written a long time ago, and the author (E F Benson) died in 1940. After I read them, I learned there was a series I think BBC that was on PBS for a bit of the books. Anyway, talk about WONDERFUL. Let me know if anyone else follows up on this and if you loved it
Make Way For Lucia: The Complete Lucia, Including Queen Lucia / Lucia in London / Miss Mapp / The Male Impersonator / Mapp and Lucia / The Worshipful Lucia / Trouble for Lucia: E. F. Benson, Nancy Mitford: 9780060156787: Amazon.com: Books

I am excited- I just googled him and apparently he wrote a lot of other books. as I remember though, I was not able to find most. But please enjoy
Mayvenne, thanks for recommending the series. I am about 75% through ATLWCS and I definitely want something uplifting next.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
I finished The Girl on the Train. I liked the story and the style. I felt disappointed in the end though. I give it 3-1/2 stars. I thank Dawn for mentioning it.

Going to read a novella by Karen Witemeyer while I await Station Eleven from the library. I am #1 on the list for it.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished The Girl on the Train. I liked the story and the style. I felt disappointed in the end though. I give it 3-1/2 stars. I thank Dawn for mentioning it.
Don't thank me! I didn't like it!

Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Don't thank me! I didn't like it!
I am thanking you because I did like it. Your anxiousness to read it before you read it is why I read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books