Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

The kids went home but we had a great time. The count down is on to going back to TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow you really did score at the thrift store ...I hate you , I really do okay going to my corner now to sulk LOL .....not really just kidding with you .
I know…we all live vicariously through our book scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

I saw an article in the local paper that for the month of March books at the local thrift store are 5 for a buck. I'll have to go check it out next trip in to town.
Ooh…good luck.

Mayvenne-Good luck to your DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
She is from my neck of the woods, and I just saw her recently. My friend knows her and her family, and her daughter loves her books so we went to get some signed. I bought the first Trylle book since she loves the books so much. Here's hoping it's good...whenever I get around to reading it.

That's cool. I liked the story but I think the next one will be better I added Torn to my list.

I am currently reading The Stranger On The Train which I find funny (not the story, just that I'm reading it) since I just recently finished The Girl On The Train. This one is a British book as well. Not far into it yet but so far I'm interested in continuing. I came across it because I was looking for a different book with stranger in the title.
Why did you need "stranger" in the title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I highly recommend it. I feel emotionally destitute now that I've finished it. I have close to 900 books on my kindle and I'm feeling destitute? What a spoiled brat!

Off I go to find another book to read.
Ha, ha. I have so many books on my shelf and on my kindle but I still "have" to go to the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I've been reading the -In Death series, though not so much reading, as collecting them, once I found out it was an actual series.
My home librarian has been trying to get me to read those for years. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
So, for those folks looking for some good reads, this is how I find a lot of them: for example, Mayvenne just suggested The Life We Bury...I find the book on the Barnes and Noble website, check out the reviews and if they're (also) good I go to my local library's site and add it to my list of "Want to read". Then I check out some of the other books on that B&N page under "Customers Who Bought This Book Also Bought" and read up on those that have 4-5 stars to possibly add to my list...keeps me busy and off the streets! I'm sure I'm not the only one that makes a job out of this. LOL
I am always looking for new book recommendations. I like to use Goodreads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Just finished Miss Buncle's Book. I was looking for a light hearted read and this certainly fir the bill. I will be reading the rest of Miss Stevenson's book from time to time.

That one is in at my library. I will pick it up tomorrow

I have the new Harlan Coben book on pre-order. Release date is March 24th so I plan on reading Deep as the Marrow by F.aul Wilson and Maude by Donna Mabry in the interim.
Let us know how you liked Maude. That one is on my list.

It's time for me to regroup and get back on schedule here. I finished Switched last night which was a YA book about a girl who was switched at birth. She is not "human". She finds this out when her real people, human trolls, come looking for her to take her home. It was good enough. I think the next book in the series will be much more interesting to me.

I will start Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin today.

Last edited by ylisa7; 03-16-2015 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Why did you need "stranger" in the title?
Good to know about the Trylle book. I couldn't remember why I needed "stranger" until someone mentioned the newest Harlan Coben coming out this month. His newest is called "The Stranger" so I was looking for that in the online library catalog.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Ooh…I won my first Goodreads giveaway book I should get it in 4 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-My-Moth...e+Transcendent

Old 03-16-2015, 11:08 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Now I'm reading Mark Twain's Joan of Arc. I never read much Twain, apart from the usual required reading in school (Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and that short story about the jumping frog.) But I had inherited a nice old hardcover collection of Mark Twain's collected works from the early 20th century, and started paging through them.

When I saw that he wrote a historical fiction book about Joan of Arc, I was a little intrigued. So I read online about his writing of the book. Apparently he did extensive research to be able to include a lot of accurate historical detail (something I love in good historical fiction). Now that I've started reading it, I'm glad I decided to. Twain's wit really comes through in the narrator's voice, and I'm enjoying it much more than his books that I "had to" read in high school. So I guess what had turned me off about Mark Twain was the Mississippi/Southern/trouble-making-kid/folksy genre, and not necessarily his writing itself.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
I can stop being the whiner on this thread, bemoaning the fact that I can't get into any books! We have a winner!

My Sunshine Away by A.O. Walsh

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sunshine-Aw...+sunshine+away

Coming of age tale narrated by a young boy who has a crush on a girl---and she gets raped. Just about 40 pages into it, but I think he eventually is suspected of doing it since the crush is more like an obsession---but there are boys who are suspects as well. Takes place in Baton Rouge. Beautifully written. And some authors I have enjoyed gave glowing blurbs on the book jacket (okay, maybe that doesn't always mean much---but still!) Very encouraged...

Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:

Dreams Of My Mothers: A Story Of Love Transcendent: Joel L. A. Peterson: 9780989527781: Amazon.com: Books
Congratulations!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I finally finished a book! I couldn't even finish a book of essays or short stories, but I finished a *real* book. I read -- in its entirety! -- The Furies by Natalie Haynes. Like I said before, despite its comparisons, it wasn't as lyrical or dense as Donna Tartt's The Secret History, but it was obviously good enough for me to finish it. And quickly.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM

414 posts, read 911,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Good to know about the Trylle book. I couldn't remember why I needed "stranger" until someone mentioned the newest Harlan Coben coming out this month. His newest is called "The Stranger" so I was looking for that in the online library catalog.
Thanks for the head's up, upthere! I enjoy his books but wasn't aware of a new one coming out. Something to look forward to and yet another addition to "the list"!

Old 03-16-2015, 03:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I read the sample, so now I'm going to try to read the rest of it: One Doctor by Brendan Reilly.

One Doctor: Close Calls, Cold Cases, and the Mysteries of Medicine: Brendan Reilly M.D.: 9781476726359: Amazon.com: Books

It's a memoir. We'll see how it goes -- it might get to be too much for me (I'm ridiculously squeamish) or it just might be a slice of life that doesn't require 464 pages to tell. See what I did there? I (a) set myself up for failure and/or (b) got my excuses lined up in case I bail.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:02 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-My-Moth...e+Transcendent
I won one when I was new to the forum. It didn't take long to come at all. Congrats, Lisa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books