Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times

Advertisements

I just started The Weight of Blood and the first few pages have gone quickly. It is a debut novel and I am always very intrigued by an author's first work. I'll keep you all posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started The Weight of Blood and the first few pages have gone quickly. It is a debut novel and I am always very intrigued by an author's first work. I'll keep you all posted.
I have that one on my (long) list, so I'm interested to hear what you'll have to say about it.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read the sample, so now I'm going to try to read the rest of it: One Doctor by Brendan Reilly.

One Doctor: Close Calls, Cold Cases, and the Mysteries of Medicine: Brendan Reilly M.D.: 9781476726359: Amazon.com: Books

It's a memoir. We'll see how it goes -- it might get to be too much for me (I'm ridiculously squeamish) or it just might be a slice of life that doesn't require 464 pages to tell. See what I did there? I (a) set myself up for failure and/or (b) got my excuses lined up in case I bail.
Well, that was quick and I'm going with excuse (c) not interested in reading detailed case studies.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 PM

414 posts, read 906,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read this a while ago. You know how in some books you think to yourself "yes, I can see that happening" or "this could be real"...well to me The Weight of Blood was a little too "out there" as in hard-to-believe. Not a terrible read, just not believable.

I wonder if I'm being too critical. Looking forward to your thoughts, ptl!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
I finally finished a book! I couldn't even finish a book of essays or short stories, but I finished a *real* book. I read -- in its entirety! -- The Furies by Natalie Haynes. Like I said before, despite its comparisons, it wasn't as lyrical or dense as Donna Tartt's The Secret History, but it was obviously good enough for me to finish it. And quickly.
Great news!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 AM

I just started reading Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert, who also wrote Eat, Pray, Love (which I read -- and surprisingly loved), Committed (which I hated), and The Signature of All Things (which I have on my Kindle but have not read). Stern Men is (was) her debut.

I've only read the first few pages, where she's talking about the history of two islands in Maine and lobstering, and it's a testament to her writing that I haven't already given up. She's made even *that* interesting and I haven't even met any of the characters. That bodes very well.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:48 PM

496 posts, read 389,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ooh…I won my first Goodreads giveaway book I should get it in 4 weeks or so

http://www.amazon.com/Dreams-My-Moth...e+Transcendent
Great! I have so much trouble with Goodreads. I don't think it is an easy format but I still go on from time to time just to see what my friends are reading!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM

496 posts, read 389,304 times
Quote:
I gave up on Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami at around the 25% mark. It got such rave reviews -- people said that they had read it multiple times, that it was their favorite book -- but I couldn't keep at it. I'm not sure why -- maybe I was still too distracted from my move and my work, or maybe it was because the characters and story felt flat for me.

Anyway.

I just started The Furies by Natalie Haynes and I'm hooked. The writing style is very light-handed. I'd expected, because it had been compared to The Secret History by Donna Tartt, it to be a denser read, but I'm happy with the conversational tone of what seems will turn out to be a heavy story. I'm barely 5% in, but I'm hoping that it'll stay enjoyable until the end.
I had to put The Furies on my TR list. That darn thing is getting out of control!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I had to put The Furies on my TR list. That darn thing is getting out of control!
You're preaching to the choir about TR lists, sweet lady! It's a horrible thing, I know. I think to myself, "Stop coming to this forum so the insanity will stop." But I can't. I just can't! At least our addiction isn't to heroin.

PS. If you haven't read The Secret History by Donna Tartt, read that. It's far better than The Furies. (I don't remember much about The Secret History except that it was fabulous.) Funny story about it, though: It came out in 1992 and my cousin read it. He told me that I'd love it and that I *had* to read it. The thing about him is that he is very sincere with recommendations -- HE might love a book or a movie but he'll never suggest that YOU should read or see it if he wasn't absolutely certain that you'd love it too. So, of course, with HIS recommendation, I read it. Or started to, at least. I don't remember how far I got -- not very -- and I gave up. It was dense and complex and I was hating it. He urged me to keep at it. I promised him that, after I read something else (to cleanse my palate), I'd try it again. And that's what I did. I don't remember at what point it was -- maybe page 75, maybe page 125 -- but there it was: that moment of "there's no turning back because I LOVE THIS BOOK! How could I not have loved it the first time I tried it?"

Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
At least our addiction isn't to heroin.
Well, I don't know about that. We all like a strong hero or heroin. eeeeeee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books