Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Well, I don't know about that. We all like a strong hero or heroin. eeeeeee
I knew that someone was going to make my heroin a heroine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Funny ladies here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you.

Quote:
I won one when I was new to the forum. It didn't take long to come at all. Congrats, Lisa.
I hope I get it before we go back to TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Great! I have so much trouble with Goodreads. I don't think it is an easy format but I still go on from time to time just to see what my friends are reading!
What trouble do yo have? I love goodreads.

I just started Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's one of my GR Book of the Month picks. It is kind of a cross between Cinderella and The Terminator. So far I am liking it. The girl, Cinder who is a cyborg, lives with her stepmother and stepsisters. Of course there is a prince in there somewhere. Cinder earns her keep as a mechanic of machines and robots. That is the start of the story. Then it goes onto one of the main problems of their civilization, the plague. Cyborgs can be volunteered for testing. I am up to that part and Cinder seems to be pretty unique.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I finished the humorous Regency Romance trilogy and can happily say that I enjoyed all 3 of the books! The first two,the most.

Lady Fiasco: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 1) by Kathleen Baldwin
Mistaken Kiss: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 2) by Kathleen Baldwin
Cut from the Same Cloth: A Humorous Traditional Regency Romance (My Notorious Aunt Book 3) by Kathleen Baldwin

Yesterday, I read the Contemporary small town fiction story~The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts in one sitting, because I was enjoying it so much.Been a long time since that happened,but I was totally wrapped up in these characters and the story. Does have some scattered cursing including 3-4 "F" Bombs,GD,and JC'S.

The Honk and Holler Opening Soon: Billie Letts: 9780446675055: Amazon.com: Books

Not sure what's up next.

P.S. I also love goodreads[and Pinterest!]

Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I am reading Gift byAndrea J. Buchanan. I'm on my iPad and I don't know how to post links from that. 9% in and so far so good. Not too sure what it is about but it involves teenagers and is in the (sigh) overly popular first person.
I finished Gift which is a pretty good ghost story. I would say that tweens would love this book and the writing itself was very good at conveying how teenagers speak, with the exception that there was no bad language. http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Andrea-J-...rea+j+buchanan

And then I (yes, I truly did) hear from my SIL about The Love Song of Queenie Hennessey and was told to soldier on with the book after I gently tried to suggest it is just not my thing.

So after one more page of The Love Song, I read The Man Who Ended the World by Jason Gurley. I am not sure how I came across it but I saw Hugh Howey had a little supportive blurb about the guy ("Gurley will be famous one day" or something like that) and I was in the doctor's office waiting, and so I download the sample and then promptly bought the book. Gurley really can write and I think that anyone who liked Howey's books is likely to like Gurley's book. And I was really impressed by the quality of the writing. If I have one quibble (I gave it four stars) it would be that it is too short - I would have liked to have read more about the place I won't mention due to it possibly being a spoiler. I think Gurley could have drawn out the story by another 100 pages or more. On the other hand, it's a change from writers who didn't know when to quit. I finished it last night.

So Ketabcha, take note - you might want to take a chance on this book as would anyone who likes dystopian fiction. The Man Who Ended the World: Jason Gurley: 9781490321592: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-18-2015, 12:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Finished Firefly Beach by Meira Pentermann
"When Beth LaMonte rents a cottage on the coast of Maine, she wishes only to withdraw and paint. A mysterious ball of light disturbs her peace and leads her to a secret beach where she finds the diary of a girl who disappeared in 1975. Now Beth is on a mission, not only to bury her own past, but to put to rest the spirit of Firefly Beach."

Different, not usually my kind of book. Was hoping for more fantasy. Main character was irritating to me for most of the book, spending time in her head. The author spent entirely too much time describing houses and scenery. No blood or gore. I'd probably give it 3 stars.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
I finished Gift which is a pretty good ghost story. I would say that tweens would love this book and the writing itself was very good at conveying how teenagers speak, with the exception that there was no bad language. Amazon.com: Gift (9781453220238): Andrea J. Buchanan: Books

And then I (yes, I truly did) hear from my SIL about The Love Song of Queenie Hennessey and was told to soldier on with the book after I gently tried to suggest it is just not my thing.

So after one more page of The Love Song, I read The Man Who Ended the World by Jason Gurley. I am not sure how I came across it but I saw Hugh Howey had a little supportive blurb about the guy ("Gurley will be famous one day" or something like that) and I was in the doctor's office waiting, and so I download the sample and then promptly bought the book. Gurley really can write and I think that anyone who liked Howey's books is likely to like Gurley's book. And I was really impressed by the quality of the writing. If I have one quibble (I gave it four stars) it would be that it is too short - I would have liked to have read more about the place I won't mention due to it possibly being a spoiler. I think Gurley could have drawn out the story by another 100 pages or more. On the other hand, it's a change from writers who didn't know when to quit. I finished it last night.

So Ketabcha, take note - you might want to take a chance on this book as would anyone who likes dystopian fiction. The Man Who Ended the World: Jason Gurley: 9781490321592: Amazon.com: Books
I just downloaded The Gift and The Man Who Ended the World. I always trust your recommendations, net. You have never steered me wrong. Is that correct grammar, duh? Plus, if Hugh Howey has something good to say about an author/book then I give that serious consideration because his books are so exceptional, IMO.

Many thanks, netwit.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:10 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
I just downloaded The Gift and The Man Who Ended the World. I always trust your recommendations, net. You have never steered me wrong. Is that correct grammar, duh? Plus, if Hugh Howey has something good to say about an author/book then I give that serious consideration because his books are so exceptional, IMO.

Many thanks, netwit.
Eeek. I can't stand the pressure. I am sure to steer you wrong but I did like both books and thought the second one was exceptional. One of Gurley's other ones was available for free and another one was available through the Kindle Unlimited which I have taken advantage of the 30 day free trial part.

I really hope you like both, Ketabcha.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:27 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Eeek. I can't stand the pressure. I am sure to steer you wrong but I did like both books and thought the second one was exceptional. One of Gurley's other ones was available for free and another one was available through the Kindle Unlimited which I have taken advantage of the 30 day free trial part.

I really hope you like both, Ketabcha.
"The Settlers: Book 1 of the Movement Trilogy"
I grabbed it

Old 03-18-2015, 03:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I just read a recommendation for A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. It sounds like it is rich and weighty like a Donna Tartt novel. I'm putting it on my TBR list and might splurge for the Kindle version as there is not a paperback yet.

Brace yourself for the most astonishing, challenging, upsetting, and profoundly moving book in many a season. An epic about love and friendship in the twenty-first century that goes into some of the darkest places fiction has ever traveled and yet somehow improbably breaks through into the light.

Has anyone else heard of this one?

Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
"The Settlers: Book 1 of the Movement Trilogy"
I grabbed it

That's a good series. Come to find out, I've read 6 of his books and just didn't remember his name. I've liked everything of his that I have read. I can't give examples but all his books have a different take on things and I like that.

Have you tried The Park Service by Ryan Winfield? There are three books in the series. Have I mentioned them to you before? Okay, I'll stop nagging. It's just that I think you would like the books. Dystopian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books