Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

The Book "Mrs Grant and Madam Jule " by Jennifer Chiaverini . It was very good just like Mrs lincolns dressmaker was good . I enjoy reading about history ... this one is definitely worth a read .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just read a recommendation for A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. It sounds like it is rich and weighty like a Donna Tartt novel. I'm putting it on my TBR list and might splurge for the Kindle version as there is not a paperback yet.

Brace yourself for the most astonishing, challenging, upsetting, and profoundly moving book in many a season. An epic about love and friendship in the twenty-first century that goes into some of the darkest places fiction has ever traveled and yet somehow improbably breaks through into the light.

Has anyone else heard of this one?
I have not heard about this book. The description does remind me ofThe Secret History. It's a library Kindle book so I put on hold.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Eek! Gasp! Ketabcha, did you never tell me about this?! I downloaded the sample as I often do with books and picked up my Kindle this morning, without realizing it was open to The Park Service and OMG! I can't stop reading. If you didn't tell me about this book I'm going to have to have a little talk with you!

I'm not very far in but I just have to know what's going on!

Of course I told you about it, net. At least I think I did. After all, you are the one who got me interested in the dystopian genre. It's a fabulous series and you will want to read each of the books because the story gets better and better. "Mea culpa" if I have not mentioned it to you in the past.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm half-way through The Secret History by Donna Tartt. The woman writes so beautifully and this one has the feel of the way F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote. Tartt is in a class all her own, though. I have to admit that I am fearful of finding out what has happened and what will happen.
Did you read The Goldfinch? (I was disappointed by The Secret History after reading Goldfinch.) I agree that she's a beautiful writer.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,737 times
Finally finished "The Book Thief" -- Markus Zusak. I really loved it. It's the story of a young Jewish girl who is taken in by non-Jewish Germans in the mid-1930s as the pogroms began in Germany. It is a very differently-told story of the lives of regular Germans and Jewish people in the years leading up to and during WWII. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you read The Goldfinch? (I was disappointed by The Secret History after reading Goldfinch.) I agree that she's a beautiful writer.
Yes, I did read The Goldfinch. It would very hard to be as good as that book. IMO, it was like a religious experience reading it without being religious if that makes sense. I am not disappointed in The Secret History. It's one of the best I have ever read. It is heavy in parts but then so was The Goldfinch. I try not to read books like that in a string. I have to "rest" in lighter fare between them.

The books I have read in the last year that are "heavy" IMHO are :

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
All the Light We Cannot See by Alexander Doerr

I really loved all of those books.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was looking at Goodreads and while peeking at the reviews for the book I am reading, The Weight of Blood, learned about a new genre of books called "grit lit". Apparently this encompasses mostly Southern, gritty, edgy, darkish novels. I guess "grit" could also be referring to the Southern classic breakfast staple - grits, but I think in this case it is more a reference to the dark, coarseness of the characters and events. Think Deliverance...
Hmm…never heard of grit lit. Ha…Deliverance…you are makingme homesick only certain parts of my home area are like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The Book "Mrs Grant and Madam Jule " by Jennifer Chiaverini . It was very good just like Mrs lincolns dressmaker was good . I enjoy reading about history ... this one is definitely worth a read .
Enjoy

Quote:
Yes, I did read The Goldfinch. It would very hard to be as good as that book. IMO, it was like a religious experience reading it without being religious if that makes sense. I am not disappointed in The Secret History. It's one of the best I have ever read. It is heavy in parts but then so was The Goldfinch. I try not to read books like that in a string. I have to "rest" in lighter fare between them.

The books I have read in the last year that are "heavy" IMHO are :

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
All the Light We Cannot See by Alexander Doerr

I really loved all of those books.

I think we all need lighter books after reading the heavy ones.

The Martian by Andy Weir was fantastic. It's about a man who gets separated from his crew on Mars during a dust storm. Thinking he is dead his crew leaves him behind. The story is about Mark Watney who is a botanist and an engineer. With his brains, creativity and humor he overcomes many obstacles about living on Mars. That's all I will say without giving it all away. I didn't think I would like it because I thought it would be like the movie Gravity which I found the character to be whiny and depressing. This book was full of humor and even on Mark's worst days he still made me laugh. It was a great book….5 out of 5.

*Beware there is heavy sarcasm and he does use the F word but in a way that fits.*

I am still reading You by Caroline Kepnes but I am having a tough time getting into it. It is dragging for me. I will keep at it and see how it goes.

In the meantime I started a Children's book, The One and Only Ivan, last night to get me moving along.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:29 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
I am not disappointed in The Secret History.
One of the most depressing books I've ever read. (I can see why she (Tartt) and Brett Easton Ellis were such good friends.)

Old 03-21-2015, 09:08 AM

2,026 posts, read 333,959 times
I'm reading Sunshine Hunter by Maddie Cochere on my iPad. I'm not sure if it's in a hardcopy though. It's pretty good! It's a mystery, and in my opinion, a comedy too. A murder has happened in her home town and she becomes a suspect, although innocent.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy, the second book in his Border Trilogy

William The Conqueror by David C. Douglas, the acclaimed historian of the Norman period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books