Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
The Martian by Andy Weir was fantastic.
I've heard so many good things about this book.
I knew I should have grabbed it when it was free, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM

30,500 posts, read 16,206,257 times
the Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate

a little slow getting started but definitely worth the patience

Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Picked up four last Saturday from the Christiansburg branch of my regional library system and read them all this week. All by George Pelecanos:

The Big Blowdown
The Turnaround
What It Was
The Double

I helped that my car was in the shop from Monday morning until Friday afternoon, only one of the books was just over 300 pages, the rest shorter and the weather was not great.

When last at the Floyd branch of the library I saw they had a biography of Bob Dylan and thought I might pick that up next but I've just learned that it is the second book of two parts and the library does not have the first one.

I'm not supposed to be getting books from the library, 2015 is supposed to be the year that I whittle down the 250 unread books on the kindle and not add any to the collection. More than half of them are freebies and I have to get better at letting go and moving on to the next one if they aren't worth it.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You're preaching to the choir about TR lists, sweet lady! It's a horrible thing, I know. I think to myself, "Stop coming to this forum so the insanity will stop." But I can't. I just can't! At least our addiction isn't to heroin.

PS. If you haven't read The Secret History by Donna Tartt, read that. It's far better than The Furies. (I don't remember much about The Secret History except that it was fabulous.) Funny story about it, though: It came out in 1992 and my cousin read it. He told me that I'd love it and that I *had* to read it. The thing about him is that he is very sincere with recommendations -- HE might love a book or a movie but he'll never suggest that YOU should read or see it if he wasn't absolutely certain that you'd love it too. So, of course, with HIS recommendation, I read it. Or started to, at least. I don't remember how far I got -- not very -- and I gave up. It was dense and complex and I was hating it. He urged me to keep at it. I promised him that, after I read something else (to cleanse my palate), I'd try it again. And that's what I did. I don't remember at what point it was -- maybe page 75, maybe page 125 -- but there it was: that moment of "there's no turning back because I LOVE THIS BOOK! How could I not have loved it the first time I tried it?"
Preaching to the choir indeed. I need to live until I'm 500 or so to read all the books I have on my list, and only if I stop adding to it!

I haven't read The Secret History so I guess that is going on my TR list as well.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Funny ladies here

Thank you.

I hope I get it before we go back to TN.

What trouble do yo have? I love goodreads.

I just started Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's one of my GR Book of the Month picks. It is kind of a cross between Cinderella and The Terminator. So far I am liking it. The girl, Cinder who is a cyborg, lives with her stepmother and stepsisters. Of course there is a prince in there somewhere. Cinder earns her keep as a mechanic of machines and robots. That is the start of the story. Then it goes onto one of the main problems of their civilization, the plague. Cyborgs can be volunteered for testing. I am up to that part and Cinder seems to be pretty unique.
I've added books that I've finished and then they don't show on the list. Also when I attempt to add books from Amazon they don't all show up. I suppose there is some magic on GR that I just haven't mastered yet!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Earth System History, Fourth Edition - Kindle edition by Steven M. Stanley. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The textbook for one of my geology courses.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 AM

I finished Deep as the Marrow and Maude this week. I would recommend both.

Deep as the Marrow was all action. I enjoyed the main characters and appreciated the telling of a story that wasn't bogged down by over telling, IYKWIM.

YoungLisa, Maude was a great read as it is a true story and gives you a look at our past through Maude's eyes. Maude lived in the same era as my grandmother so it had a lot of significance for me.

My Harlan Coben book isn't available until Tuesday so I am going to read something in the meantime, maybe another Miss Buncle book?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:49 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,354 times
I'm reading "Day by Day Armageddon" (the second book.) I'm 1/3 in and it's entertaining but right now I like the first one better. DH told me he likes the 2nd one better so I guess it'll improve later.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Currently enjoying American Nations by Colin Woodard. In "Penguin Book" form (my favorite). It is about the history of the 11 (original) regional (European) cultures of (North) America, how they started, progressed and interacted with each other and the indigenous cultures of North America. Really good read.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished Stern Men, which was Elizabeth Gilbert's first novel. It was excellent. It is a coming-of-age story and so much more, and her writing style is terrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books