Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Taylor View Post
I am reading The Trial by Franz Kafka right now. On of the most mysterious and abstruse books I've ever came across, though I really like it.
After finishing other Kafka's books I am planning to reading something similar. Any recommendations?

PS I also like Dostoevsky a lot.

you might try H.P. Lovecraft.

weird but enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times
I just finished Endangered, CJ Box it was fantastic! A very light book called The Mistletoe Promise, Paul Richard Evans. Ready to start James Patterson's NYPD Red Three.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Just finished reading another book in one sitting.The wonderfully touching,and insightful~The Elephant Whisperer My Life With the Herd in the African Wild by Lawrence Anthony, which was mentioned by younglisa7

It made me also want to read by the same author~Babylon's Ark The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo,which I just put on reserve at my library.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,083 times
I just finish a three part series by Fay Weldon and it was just to carry me through the lows of not having Downton abbey. Light read and really superficial.

I will attempt yet again the fifth attempt to finish The Croning, ugh! What a scary and very hideous book that plagues my nightmares. Stupidly I pick it up again and again trying to finish it but the images are too much and the tension is just so unpleasant, a real horror read in the true sense of terror boiling just beneath, for those that like sort of thing.

Sometimes your are too much of a good writer and haunts you, if any of you have managed to finish this book, please tell me that the ending will be something worth the terror torture that the writer puts me through.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I've heard so many good things about this book.
I knew I should have grabbed it when it was free, LOL
Even when it was free I probably wouldn't have ordered it. I am so glad someone else raved about it and I read it. They are making a movie out of it. I may just have to go see it even though I'm sure the book will be better

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I've added books that I've finished and then they don't show on the list. Also when I attempt to add books from Amazon they don't all show up. I suppose there is some magic on GR that I just haven't mastered yet!
I have one lingering book that I can never get to show up with my rating. Other than that I have had really good luck with GR but I have never tried to link my Amazon books to GR.

Thank you I did add Maude to my list It looks like a book I would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I just finished Endangered, CJ Box it was fantastic! A very light book called The Mistletoe Promise, Paul Richard Evans. Ready to start James Patterson's NYPD Red Three.
Hi kelsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Just finished reading another book in one sitting.The wonderfully touching,and insightful~The Elephant Whisperer My Life With the Herd in the African Wild by Lawrence Anthony, which was mentioned by younglisa7

It made me also want to read by the same author~Babylon's Ark The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo,which I just put on reserve at my library.
Yay…I love when a recommendation works for someone I just borrowed another book from my library called Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French. I'm not sure how it is but I will give it a try in about 6 more books, lol. Here is the description:
"Welcome to the savage and surprising world of Zoo Story, an unprecedented account of the secret life of a zoo and its inhabitants, both animal and human. Based on six years of research, the book follows a handful of unforgettable characters at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo: an alpha chimp with a weakness for blondes, a ferocious tiger who revels in Obsession perfume, and a brilliant but tyrannical CEO known as El Diablo Blanco."

I may not read it all as I hate the thought of animals especially big ones being caged up unless it is for rescue or rehabilitation purposes.

I have books coming at me like crazy I have so many books with different groups coming up for the April BOTM reads and I also have my pen pals checking in with me and we have picked our April books

On top of that I still have lingering March books and I am trying to "still" get through You. Finish it or not today is my last day with that book. There really needs to be a cut off point on books we are just trying to get to the end of

Yesterday we visited some old friends and he loaded me up with books. I got a few new James Patterson's, some other mystery/thrillers by authors I don't know and some cookbooks and I got to download all of my freebies to my kindle. I need a wifi connection for that. So now I have more books that I will never be able to read, lol.

I also got an e-mail from my librarian back in TN. She wants to know if I will be back to work the Book Sale on May 1. Heck yeah

Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm not supposed to be getting books from the library, 2015 is supposed to be the year that I whittle down the 250 unread books on the kindle and not add any to the collection. More than half of them are freebies and I have to get better at letting go and moving on to the next one if they aren't worth it.

Ha, ha…I hear you. All of the books on my kindle are freebies and they tend to get pushed off all the time. Maybe I need to make that a goal and read at least one kindle book a month….hmm…I may finish them by 2055

Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Quote:
Yay…I love when a recommendation works for someone I just borrowed another book from my library called Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French. I'm not sure how it is but I will give it a try in about 6 more books, lol. Here is the description:
"Welcome to the savage and surprising world of Zoo Story, an unprecedented account of the secret life of a zoo and its inhabitants, both animal and human. Based on six years of research, the book follows a handful of unforgettable characters at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo: an alpha chimp with a weakness for blondes, a ferocious tiger who revels in Obsession perfume, and a brilliant but tyrannical CEO known as El Diablo Blanco."

I may not read it all as I hate the thought of animals especially big ones being caged up unless it is for rescue or rehabilitation purposes.

Since I feel the same way as you about zoos and also circuses,I probably won't read that one.The only reason I want to read the book about Saddam's zoo is because it's about how so many people from different backgrounds were inspired to sacrifice to save the animals.

Quote:
Ha, ha…I hear you. All of the books on my kindle are freebies and they tend to get pushed off all the time. Maybe I need to make that a goal and read at least one kindle book a month….hmm…I may finish them by 2055

I have hundreds of freebies on my Kindle,and some 'paid-for' books,also.I have had excellent luck with the vast majority being very good reads,even the freebies,so I do try to read 1-3 of my Kindle E-books a month.
Already met that goal this month by reading
the humorous Regency Romance trilogy by Kathleen Baldwin[I got all 3-books as Kindle freebies!].

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-23-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished Stern Men, which was Elizabeth Gilbert's first novel. It was excellent. It is a coming-of-age story and so much more, and her writing style is terrific.
I just downloaded from library. Hope I like as much as you did.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just downloaded from library. Hope I like as much as you did.
I hope so too!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
After finishing The Burgess Boys I wanted a page-turner so I got Under the Dome by Stephen King and it fit the bill. Hadn't read anything by him in 20+ years, but will be checking out more of his recent stuff. With King it's all about the story--the characters tend to be a little 2 dimensional with clearly defined Good Guys and Bad Guys. That's perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for,which I was.

After that, I did a 180 and decided to reread Olive Kitteridge, one of my all-time favorite books. Elizabeth Strout is all about beautiful, flawed, heartbreaking, perfectly drawn characters and every paragraph contains something to be savored.

Not sure what I'll pick up after this, but my list is long and I haven't even added the things mentioned in the last couple of pages here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books