Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

I was so enamored of Elizabeth Gilbert's Stern Men that I decided, even though I'd had it on my Kindle for ages but with no real interest to read it, that I'd try The Signature of All Things. It's a long book (more than 500 pages), my attention span doesn't really span well, but we'll see how it goes. I have to give her credit -- I'm (a whopping) 3% in, I have ZERO interest in botany, but she definitely has my interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 01:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was so enamored of Elizabeth Gilbert's Stern Men that I decided, even though I'd had it on my Kindle for ages but with no real interest to read it, that I'd try The Signature of All Things. It's a long book (more than 500 pages), my attention span doesn't really span well, but we'll see how it goes. I have to give her credit -- I'm (a whopping) 3% in, I have ZERO interest in botany, but she definitely has my interest.
You and Jtur88 are making me want to read some Elizabeth Gilbert. I didn't know she wrote anything other than Eat Pray Love and I was never very interested in reading that. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You and Jtur88 are making me want to read some Elizabeth Gilbert. I didn't know she wrote anything other than Eat Pray Love and I was never very interested in reading that. Thanks!
I resisted Eat, Pray, Love for a very long while after its release (and raves). I just didn't think it was my thing. Turns out that I was wrong -- I loved it. What I didn't like (AT ALL!) of hers was her follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love -- the boring and self-indulgent Committed.

I figured that, after those two, I could chalk her up as a one-hit wonder. At least for me. I'm not sure how Stern Men came onto my radar, since it's an older book (before Eat, Pray, Love was written), but I'm glad that it did -- it was terrific. I'm not sure why I ever downloaded The Signature of All Things last year (it's so not my thing... botany? feh!), but I'm glad that I did. Since I loved Stern Men, I figured that I'd try a few pages of The Signature of All Things. I'm hooked.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
I resisted Eat, Pray, Love for a very long while after its release (and raves). I just didn't think it was my thing. Turns out that I was wrong -- I loved it. What I didn't like (AT ALL!) of hers was her follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love -- the boring and self-indulgent Committed.

I figured that, after those two, I could chalk her up as a one-hit wonder. At least for me. I'm not sure how Stern Men came onto my radar, since it's an older book (before Eat, Pray, Love was written), but I'm glad that it did -- it was terrific. I'm not sure why I ever downloaded The Signature of All Things last year (it's so not my thing... botany? feh!), but I'm glad that I did. Since I loved Stern Men, I figured that I'd try a few pages of The Signature of All Things. I'm hooked.
I love plants and am interested in botany so I'll definitely put it on my list. It's already a long list--what's a couple more titles???

Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I love plants and am interested in botany so I'll definitely put it on my list. It's already a long list--what's a couple more titles???
Yeah, what's a couple (hundred) more?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,006 times
Just finished "Hope to Die," by James Patterson. Great read; scary. Could not put the book down.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM

414 posts, read 911,121 times
Just finished "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubika. Another good one!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
The Signature of All Things is one of the best books I have ever read. It is long and quite detailed but the story was so beautifully written that I enjoyed every last tidbit of it.

I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. What a stunner. What sadness and what loveliness. I would never have been able to second guess it.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Signature of All Things is one of the best books I have ever read. It is long and quite detailed but the story was so beautifully written that I enjoyed every last tidbit of it.

I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. What a stunner. What sadness and what loveliness. I would never have been able to second guess it.
I'm so happy that you enjoyed The Secret History. I thought you'd read it a long time ago, like I had, so I never bothered to suggest it to you. I'm happy that you happened across it regardless.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I had about 40 pages left on A House in the Sky which is a very interesting account of a woman kidnapped by jihadists in Somalia......but it was understandably unsettling. My husband was going for surgery (it went well thankfully but the recovery will be long ).... and the book was just too unsettling particularly at the ending. So, I have never done this- but I decided for my sanity that I would put the book on hold for a bit and begin The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye. I am enjoying The Pilgrimage and should finish it shortly but am now going to return to A House in the Sky and finish it first.
I am always amazed with people on this forum who read multiple books at a time and never thought I could do that. I think it worked for me this time but I don't think I will do it again,
On another exciting note, I see that THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO US, is a new book to be released this summer by the author of the beeeeloved Guernsey Literary Society!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books