Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
On another exciting note, I see that THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO US, is a new book to be released this summer by the author of the beeeeloved Guernsey Literary Society!!
That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

PS. I'm glad that your husband's surgery went well and I hope that his recovery will be easier and shorter than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished all three books in The Park Service books by Ryan Winfield and I can highly recommend them. I had some quibbles with the way certain characters formed attachments too quickly at the end of book one, but some of that was explained in book two, although I still think that the attachments were forced. And I could have done without the last chapter of book three, but I cried a little at the end. All in all, since nothing in the universe is perfect, it was a 5 star series. It's just that my mind can't help but quibble over things.

And then, due to it popping up as either a recommendation via Amazon, or as one of the "customers also bought these books" books, and since I have the trial of Kindle Unlimited, I downloaded and am 75% of the way through Anomaly by Peter Cawdron. It is a plot driven book with too much tell and too little show when it comes to fleshing out the characters. I couldn't care less if an alien eats them. But the basic idea behind the book is interesting to me but the characters are one dimensional. I had better not say what I think of the woman heroine who is brave and true one minute and then weeps prettily in the middle of a hard science scene the next, and then wants to go shopping and watch decorating shows on TV while the aliens invade.

But for people who like a fast read and aren't bothered by those things, the link is http://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Peter-...awdron+anomaly

Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
On another exciting note, I see that THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO US, is a new book to be released this summer by the author of the beeeeloved Guernsey Literary Society!!
This indeed exciting!! I just went to add it to my wish list so I don't forget and I see she also writes the children's books Ivy and Bean. My daughter has read some of those and I have bought some for her. Maybe I will have to read the ones I bought her.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finished The Weight of Blood and it was just so-so. Think Nancy Drew in the Ozarks.... Oh well. I read it, didn't I?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finished The Weight of Blood and it was just so-so. Think Nancy Drew in the Ozarks.... Oh well. I read it, didn't I?

And now I won't. Thank you.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I finished You….finally. If you liked Gone Girl you might like this. I didn't care for either one.

I also just finished The One and Only Ivan which is a children's book loosely based on a real story of a silverback who spent 27 years of his life in a Mall zoo in Washington state. In all that time he had never been with or seen another Gorilla. Protestors came to his rescue and he was transferred to a a zoo with other gorillas. This was a cute little story with added animal friends and a happy, at least a better, ending for Ivan.

Now I started Y by Marjorie Celona.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM

So what exactly is the story behind The Giver by Lois Lowry? I've seen The Giver mentioned here quite often and yet it looks like the book came out first in 1993? I had never heard of The Giver before this forum.

In any event, I am reading The Giver, which is free through Kindle Unlimited, along with sequels (?).

I think that Kindle Unlimited might just be a good thing since it allowed me to come across a new writer (Ryan Winfield) whom I will certainly keep an eye out for and I would have bought all the books I've read so far through it, except for Anomaly. Even the idea wasn't interesting anymore by the time I got to the end of it.

There do seem to be quite a few books that aren't self-published that are available through Kindle Unlimited but not recent best-sellers, which doesn't matter to me at all.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Signature of All Things is one of the best books I have ever read. It is long and quite detailed but the story was so beautifully written that I enjoyed every last tidbit of it.

I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. What a stunner. What sadness and what loveliness. I would never have been able to second guess it.
I remember loving the book and promptly driving out to the bookstore at the time to see what else she had written. I didn't know she was a slow writer so there was just the other one. Which I bought. I would rather a writer takes their time in crafting a story like Tartt than churning out a book every year. I guess there's only nine more years to go before the next Tartt book.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I resisted Eat, Pray, Love for a very long while after its release (and raves). I just didn't think it was my thing. Turns out that I was wrong -- I loved it. What I didn't like (AT ALL!) of hers was her follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love -- the boring and self-indulgent Committed.

I figured that, after those two, I could chalk her up as a one-hit wonder. At least for me. I'm not sure how Stern Men came onto my radar, since it's an older book (before Eat, Pray, Love was written), but I'm glad that it did -- it was terrific. I'm not sure why I ever downloaded The Signature of All Things last year (it's so not my thing... botany? feh!), but I'm glad that I did. Since I loved Stern Men, I figured that I'd try a few pages of The Signature of All Things. I'm hooked.
I might have to look into her books. I hadn't heard of her until Eat, Pray, Love and was turned off the book due to someone I know talking endlessly about the book and her own eating disorder and I somehow got the idea that it was like a self-help book for eating disorders. It's not?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I might have to look into her books. I hadn't heard of her until Eat, Pray, Love and was turned off the book due to someone I know talking endlessly about the book and her own eating disorder and I somehow got the idea that it was like a self-help book for eating disorders. It's not?
It's not. I enjoyed it a lot... and I just sent you a message about Stern Men (loved!) and The Signature of All Things (loving!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books