Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished all three books in The Park Service books by Ryan Winfield and I can highly recommend them. I had some quibbles with the way certain characters formed attachments too quickly at the end of book one, but some of that was explained in book two, although I still think that the attachments were forced. And I could have done without the last chapter of book three, but I cried a little at the end. All in all, since nothing in the universe is perfect, it was a 5 star series. It's just that my mind can't help but quibble over things.

Hey, Net!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,365,797 times
Just finished "Organizing From the Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern (1998),
enjoyed it and it helped motivate me to rearrange some furniture.

Just to weigh in on the Elizabeth Gilbert thing:
I liked "Committed" (about the institution of marriage) a lot, and photocopied & underlined many sections.
Then I tried "Eat Pray Love" (about her travels in other cultures) and couldn't get anywhere with it at all, returned it to library unread.
Which is not to say other folks would necessarily agree with me-my tastes/preferences may be unusual.
Just that I quite liked the so-called "follow up" volume, yet couldn't stand the "best-seller". YMMV

Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
On another exciting note, I see that THE TRUTH ACCORDING TO US, is a new book to be released this summer by the author of the beeeeloved Guernsey Literary Society!!
Thanks for that info, Mayvenne. I loved the potato (Guernsey) book. I'll be watching for the new one by the author.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Currently enjoying American Nations by Colin Woodard. In "Penguin Book" form (my favorite). It is about the history of the 11 (original) regional (European) cultures of (North) America, how they started, progressed and interacted with each other and the indigenous cultures of North America. Really good read.
This sounds interesting, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
This afternoon I started another book mentioned by younglisa7~Mambo in Chinatown:A Novel by Jean Kwok, and am loving it so far.Love the protagonist- Charlie,and her little sister-Lisa is a hoot! I already want to read this author's other more famous book~Girl in Translation.

BTW younglisa7 while you are reading about zoos... have you seen the film~Blackfish (2013)
A documentary following the controversial captivity of killer whales, and its dangers for both humans and whales.

Amazon.com: Blackfish: Tilikum, Gabriela Cowperthwaite: Movies & TV

Another source of info that makes me totally against keeping animals in captivity,whether circuses,zoos,or aquariums.It is cruel/inhumane to the animals and a danger to humans.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
This afternoon I started another book mentioned by younglisa7~Mambo in Chinatown:A Novel by Jean Kwok, and am loving it so far.Love the protagonist- Charlie,and her little sister-Lisa is a hoot! I already want to read this author's other more famous book~Girl in Translation.

BTW younglisa7 while you are reading about zoos... have you seen the film~Blackfish (2013)
A documentary following the controversial captivity of killer whales, and its dangers for both humans and whales.

Amazon.com: Blackfish: Tilikum, Gabriela Cowperthwaite: Movies & TV

Another source of info that makes me totally against keeping animals in captivity,whether circuses,zoos,or aquariums.It is cruel/inhumane to the animals and a danger to humans.

Yay another winner. I also added Girl in Translation to my TR "pile".

I have not seen the film it would make me too sad and mad.

Ha, ha…when my DH and I went to Mexico I wanted to swim with the dolphins but we both decided not to because it is cruel to exploit them that way. The one thing I will do and love to do is swim with the manatees in Florida. They are wild and not in captivity so it is very cool

Have you seen this one? Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish by John Hargrove, Howard Chua-Eoan

I'm off to the library today to pick up the last of my Florida books then it's time to go back to TN. I loaded and organized my Kindle so I have plenty of books. I hear my TN library is updating their interlibrary laon program and we won't be able to get other library books for 6 weeks

I will be finishing Angela's Ashes today which I really like. It got pushed aside because I actually own that one. I had too many library books to get back. Then I will finish another book that I just started, Y by Marjorie Celona.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yay another winner. I also added Girl in Translation to my TR "pile".
It was not bad. It seemed like it was more appropriate for pre-teens and teens, but I still liked it. The good thing is that even if you don't really like it, you can finish it in like two nights.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Quote:
Have you seen this one? Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish by John Hargrove, Howard Chua-Eoan
No,I haven't because I know that I couldn't take it,or the film 'Blackfish' either.

I only have about 30 more pages to finish Mamba In Chinatown.It has been great,but I would have run away before I would have swallowed any of those disgusting health remedies their uncle came up with that would 'gag-a-maggot' ,EEEWWW!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
I just received in the mail from Albris The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. I've completed two chapters. If there is only one book on investing that you can read this is the one.

From the introduction:

The purpose of this book is to supply, in a form suitable for laymen, guidance in the adoption and execution of an investment policy.

Cheers.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
I finished The Giver and was put off by the ending. I'm not likely to read any of the other books in the series.

Right now I'm reading A Mennonite Family in Tsarist Russia and the Soviet Union 1789 - 1923. It's a very well written book which I've had for a while but I hadn't settled down to read it before now. After binging on fiction the last little while, this seems to hit the spot right now.

http://www.amazon.ca/Mennonite-Famil.../dp/1442613181
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books